Old January 12, 2003, 11:10   #1
Franses
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 15:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
One to One League: Discussions and stories
If you want to take part in the One to One league or want to report One to One league game starts and ends post in the thread: One to One league: Rankings and Results
Old January 15, 2003, 13:15   #2
Franses
King

Any league player available to start or continue a game this evening?
Old January 22, 2003, 12:06   #3
Franses
King

I do have quite some time available the coming days especially during day time. If any league player has the opportunity to start or continue a game, please let me know through e-mail, ICQ or Messenger (the status is often away, but I generally check regularly for any messenges).
Old January 23, 2003, 12:32   #4
Franses
King

Tom Red and I started our second game today. This time it was almost the opposite from our first game. After my (undefended) capital had build two warriors it expanded. From the goody hut nearby came a big surprise...... three barbs, all next to my capital. I had never experienced that before.

It did cost my first Settler and later on I lost two warriors to them so that was some unfortunate start. Fortunately Tom and I had chosen to play a large map to avoid the "less than 10?" tile distance between our capitals that we had last time. This means I do have some time to recover but......... I am quite far behind of course.

We saved the game at 1200 BC. Let's see whether it is possible to recover from such a start. Tom made it clear to me that if it is up to him......... recovery will never happen. Cann't blame him after the similar start he had in our previous game.

This looks like my personnel thread by now. Be sure other league game players are allowed to post here too.
I am very curious to know how the other games are developing.
Old January 24, 2003, 14:22   #5
Tom Red
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 14:14
Frances and I palyed the second part of our game today - He is recovering - but not quiet catching up yet.

We have just made first contact (and his puny warrior defeated my Horseman!).

We are on a large map - so it make take some time before our forces engage ... but then again ....
Old January 24, 2003, 16:04   #6
Franses
King

Thanks Tom

Later this day we had our third turn. A large map with two people requires a lot of work but it is a great game. I am having lots of fun. Hope a patch will arrive soon though since it is getting more and more laggy.

I am still considerably behind in points but was able to, after a long sail with my ship(s), deliver two immortals next to the Egyptian city of Byblos. They were able to alter Byblos in a pile of rubble. Perhaps this will get me back even with Tom. Only the future can tell.

Hope to see you back soon, Tom.
Old January 25, 2003, 04:34   #7
Franses
King

Response to questions of AJ in ranking and results thread:

Yes, I mean MSN Messenger.

You can start any round at any time. I even play several rounds in parallel because I have somewhat more time available than the average player here. So contact the players using pm or e-mail, messenger or ICQ and try to arrange a game.
Old February 2, 2003, 16:48   #8
Franses
King

Due to a party on Friday Coldark and I could not continue our game on Saturday. My brain just was not recovered yet from the alcohol and there were many things to restore in our house.

Today however Tom and I had our next session. In the last one Tom got rid of my military in his territory. In this one he attacked me. Fortunately for me I had some immortals nearby that were lucky enough to kill the company of swordsman Tom had sent. The rest of the session was totally devoted to building our empires that become quite large on a map of this size. I finally was able to catch up in points on Tom. We ended the session in 740 AD. That means we have some more great sessions ahead of us.
Old February 9, 2003, 19:48   #9
Franses
King

Coldark and I continued our game last Saturday. Apart from a small naval battle the session was devoted to building our empires. That was nice for a change. We arrived at 1040AD and I am preparing the arrival of the English UU. Exciting times ahead, I guess.
Old February 15, 2003, 12:24   #10
Franses
King

The next session between Coldark and myself brought us in the Industrial age. Always an exciting moment in itself because winning a game without coal is nearly impossible (against a human opponent that is). Fortunately I found some coal although not connected. My first Frigate disappeared in the deep sea after attacking an English caravel. Of course the caravel was not even damaged . I then landed some of my riflemen and immortals on one of the English islands. It was a pleasant surprise to find only swordsmen, horsemen and spearmen sofar. My great problem in this game was that I missed horses (even though I am on a very large island). Thusfar I feared the landing of English knights and Cavalry and did not dare to land on there islands with only footfolk. Fortunately we now passed the horse era.

After some sea and land skirmishes we finished this session in 1230 AD.

It will take a while before we are able to continue. The Alpes call and my family feels urged to go there to slide graciously (my wife that is) down the steep (my sons that is) mountains. At least I have something to look forward to also. I trust the long awaited patch will be there if I return.

Well, it will take another 6 days before we leave so if any of the 1to1 league players wants to play, just contact me. I play a lot less than I would like to.
Old February 16, 2003, 15:02   #11
Franses
King

Tom Red and I continued our game today. I am now ahead in points but Tom send an expedition force consisting of medieval infantry in my direction. Since we are on a large map it is a long way before they reach my territory but the force looks formidable. I am curious where this game wil lead us to. I have an immense number of cities by now and there is still a lot of new ground for new ones. A large map sure keeps you busy. But we both have lots of fun so...... who cares.

We ended the session in 960 AD. Perhaps we will find time for another session before I leave. Sure would be nice.
Old February 18, 2003, 12:21   #12
Franses
King

Rusty and I continued our game yesterday. Unfortunately we were struck by PTW problems. Rusty had to completely reinstall so we did not get to play much.
Old March 9, 2003, 11:21   #13
Franses
King

Tom Red and I had two sessions this weekend. A long one on Saturday and a shorter one on Sunday. The latter was a bit tedious because of unexceptionally high lag.

We are in 1350 AD now. Tom succeeded in surprising me and took one of my strongholds. I already spent lots of man and horses to get it back but all in vain uptill now.
I was able to build frigates that do not find any obstacle while blasting away the Egyptian coastal infrastructure.

We have played for 14 hours now and had 14 hours of fun. What a pity this game is so laggy. Let us hope the new patch will solve this. Since we are Europeans we do not yet have the patch so.... we still have hope. If it does not solve the problems we encountered in our last session, I will definitly consider quitting this game even though I have had a lot of fun sofar in one to one games.
Old March 9, 2003, 17:00   #14
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:14
Are you playing GS or direct IP?

I sometimes notice less lag with direct than with GS. I don't know what it is about the GS games, but often something seems to be slower.
Old March 9, 2003, 19:14   #15
Franses
King

We are only playing IP so that can not be it. Good to see you here, though.
Old March 10, 2003, 05:36   #16
Tom Red
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Although the last game was laggy - before that it wasn't too bad.

Anyway - as Franses says - I now have a outpost in his terreritory - which has been holding out against hs assaults. And it is true that teh dutch pirates have been raiding my coasts - but despite this I think I am catching up with him again.

Franses also made an abortive attempt at a full frontal attempt on my borders.

Looking forward to the next 14 hours!
Old March 15, 2003, 12:45   #17
Franses
King

Proceeded with Tom today. The game performed a lot better today again.

Finally succeeded in taking my town back but it cost me a lot of units. At the other hand Tom now has Frigates too and I can no longer bombard his coast without danger. We continued until 1410. It is a great game and will get better as we go along, I am sure.

What amazes me is that he is able to remain into democracy. Even without having sistine. This might make things difficult for me in the coming turns. It seems I still am a little bit ahead in science but for how long? Only the future will tell.

Looking forward to our next session, Tom. It sure is a fine game.
Old March 25, 2003, 09:03   #18
Tom Red
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Indeed in the last session I feel I began to fight back.

Although I lost my outpost in enemy territory - it held out much longer than expected - and cost Frances dear - so we've all very proud of our brave troops.

I do indeed now have a navy and have expelled the brigands who were pillaging my coastline (but for how long).

I'm still behind in points - and science - and I can't seem to catch up.

Looking forward to next game - at the moment its a very finely balanced contest.
Old April 19, 2003, 04:58   #19
Franses
King

During last weeks my games with Coldark and Tom Red continued and still are great fun. However, we also decided to start a game with the three of us, using version 1.21f so it may take a while before we finish our one to one games. If we are all three available our three player game will have priority.
Old April 28, 2003, 16:37   #20
Franses
King

Tom and I switched to e-mail regarding our large map game. The turns simply took to long with so many cities. It still is a great game though.

We also played two standard map games lately. In one, Tom had a crappy starting position. So the next session we decided to start all over. This second one was won by me in one session. In this latter case we were awkwardly close together again. Its fun but Civ has a lot more to it and we prefer to play games into the AD times at least. Tom came up with the thought that the close starting positions may be caused by the fact that we play Egypt and Persia. That may well be true. Can anybody comment on this?
Old May 15, 2003, 14:41   #21
Franses
King

Long time, no post here but that does not mean we are not playing. Tom and I still enjoy the game we reversed to PBEM. Playing 2 turns per day on average. Besides that we started a new on-line game. I also play a new on-line game with Coldark as well as with a new player who just wants to get some experience before he joins the league. Also my game with Rusty is still on but Rusty is busy at the moment so that is on hold.
Gives me time to eat and get some sleep.

So, the league is still alive. Join in if you want to play one to one MP.
Old July 11, 2003, 18:11   #22
Franses
King

The game converted from on-line to PBEM takes a long time to finish and although there are not many changes in the land we own, many local wars have been fought. I have to do without rubber meaning no marines, no tanks, no infantry but so far I have been able to keep Tom out of the Persian empire using a good infrastructure, artillery and cavalry. It has been close several time though and I am making offensive plans now. I have to if I want to survive the Tom's attacks. I am close to sea superiority and am gaining strength in air superiority but.... it will be a hard task to win this game.

The on-line games still continue also of course although it appeared not to be possible to get very far with the three player game we started. It is no surprise to me of course because that is exactly why I started the one-to-one league in the first place. It is a pity though that so few people seem to play CIVIII multiplayer. It is so much more fun to play the game against a human player. I hope the winter season will bring more players on the scene. If you are interested let me know. I will be off during several parts of the summer so you me not get a quick response but I certainly will respond.
Old July 18, 2003, 22:43   #23
Louisr2001
Settler

I am a brand new player of PTW and would be interested in a game,one to one for the experience.What say you?
Louis R
Old July 19, 2003, 04:51   #24
Franses
King

You are very welcome, Louis. As mentioned in my earlier post I will personally not be able to play for a while. If none of the other players respond earlier send me an e-mail or post here around the end of august.
Old July 19, 2003, 16:13   #25
Louisr2001
Settler

Thank you much! I am in the process of switching from dial up to satellite DSL,but won't transition for a few weeks,is dial up intolerably slow for playing PTW? Are there any problems associated with Satellite DSL and dial-up?
Old July 19, 2003, 17:14   #26
Franses
King

I do not know of any problems with Satellite DSL. Dial up may well be rather slow. We will just try it later on and see what happens.
Old July 19, 2003, 17:21   #27
Louisr2001
Settler

O.K. Thanks for your input,and I will be ..... a round!