Old January 12, 2003, 12:04   #1
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 16:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Download the Super Apolyton Pack 2 Unit Updater
This download includes English, German and French versions of the Unit Updater.

This slic file allows you to update some of your current units when you discover a new technology. You can only upgrade your units in the turn you have discovered the said technology, if you don't update them or if you only update part of your units you won't be able to do it later in the next turns (I would have liked it to be possible but I don't have the lesser idea on how to achieve this ).

For each updated unit you will have to pay the production cost of the new unit in gold. You would thus have to pay 10000 gold to update 10 machine gunners to marines.

Remember the AI civilizations will also use the updater.

The main goal I had in mind with the updater was to get rid of the necessity to build new units and move them throughout my empire in order to replace the older units scattered on the map, a process I found painful in the later part of the game when you have many cities and units. This explains why I have not increased the cost needed to upgrade the units as I would like it to be rather easy. If you think these costs are too low you can edit the APOL_Updater.slc and increase them. You can also play with the govern.txt file in your CtP2 folder and increase the Unit Rush Buy costs in order to lower the gold resources of the human player (as suggested by Hexagonian in the thread I posted in the Apolyton CtP2 Forum before converting the cradle updater).

The readme included in the zip file repeats the preceding sentences, details the installing process and gives to the "non-slic litterates" like me the datas they need to alter the APOL_Updater.slic to suit their needs.

Note: the APOL_main_str.txt included in the zip file only corrects three pronouns which are typical remnants of the "cut and paste" method we all use. If the Super Apolyton Pack 2 is correctly installed in your computer you don't need to replace your current APOL_main_str.txt file with the one included in this zip. Unless you prefer the corrected message to be displayed instead.

I have wrongly deleted the attachment, you will find the file to download four posts farther.

Last edited by Tamerlin; January 15, 2003 at 22:24.
Old January 12, 2003, 12:35   #2
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

What did you change on the APOL_main_str.txt, so that the English version needed do be included in the *.zip file?

-Martin
Old January 12, 2003, 13:13   #3
Tamerlin
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
What did you change on the APOL_main_str.txt, so that the English version needed do be included in the *.zip file?

-Martin
I corrected three pronouns in the message displayed when you only have one unit to update. "Them" was used instead of "it".

I should have mentioned it in the readme.

Initial post edited to include your comment Martin, thanks!

Last edited by Tamerlin; January 12, 2003 at 13:26.
Old January 12, 2003, 17:21   #4
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Well in this case you should also include the German version of the file. I found some mistakes in it and I forgot to translate one sentence.

-Martin
Attached Files:
File Type: zip apol_main_str.zip (1.4 KB, 6 views)
Old January 12, 2003, 18:05   #5
Tamerlin
King

The Super Apolyton Unit Updater Download is here (including English, German and French versions):
Attached Files:
File Type: zip apol_updater.zip (13.2 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Tamerlin; January 12, 2003 at 18:16.
Old January 15, 2003, 20:18   #6
Tamerlin
King

Has anyone used the APOL_Updater.slc so far?

I would be glad to hear some comments, be them nice or bad...

Does anyone has an idea on how the Unit Updater could be modified in order to allow for the upgrade of units after the turn following the technological discovery?

Would it be possible to create a new unit order called "Upgrade"?

The cost of an upgrade could thus be highly increased and considered as an alternative to building new units.

Old January 15, 2003, 21:34   #7
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 14:14
Hi, Tamerlin

I'm working on a new version of the Updater that will allow you to update units after you've obtained the advance. Actually, it's pretty well done: just needs a bit more debugging.

Here's the write-up from my Great Library:

Quote:
Certain advances will allow you to update some of your military units. For example, researching iron working will allow you to update your Warriors to Legions.

1) When you get the advance. At this point you have the option of updating land units that are in cities or forts, sea units that are in cities, or air units that are in cities or airbases. There is a cost involved and if you don't have enough gold you won't be able to update your units.

2) Using the 'Sleep' button. To update units that are still obsolete because they weren't in the proper location or you couldn't afford it, you can move them to a city (or fort, or airbase) and press the 'Sentinel' button. You'll then get a message asking if you want to update the unit. This procedure can be automated.
Also, when you get the advance, instead of just being able to run through your units in only one direction, I've fixed it so you can go back and forth. See the attached screenshot.

When it's finally debugged, you'll be able to paste your data arrays straight into it. But there's a couple of other things you'll have to adjust too. I'll give you a hand with them when it's ready.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	34012  
Old January 15, 2003, 21:52   #8
Tamerlin
King

Hi Peter,

I would like to thank you for the unit updater it greatly eases the flow of the game and removes what I considered as one of the last flaws of CtP2.

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Triggs
I'm working on a new version of the Updater that will allow you to update units after you've obtained the advance. Actually, it's pretty well done: just needs a bit more debugging.
This is an excellent news, when do you think it will be ready?

I am really eager to use such a wonderfull tool.

Quote:
When it's finally debugged, you'll be able to paste your data arrays straight into it. But there's a couple of other things you'll have to adjust too. I'll give you a hand with them when it's ready.
As soon as it is ready I convert it to the Super Apolyton Pack 2.

Last edited by Tamerlin; January 15, 2003 at 22:25.
Old January 16, 2003, 02:48   #9
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 11:14
Peter, I am sorry that you havent seen this code i have done befor

But i have already accomplished the unit updater after the advance granting.

It works when you fortify an army in one of your cities if the army has a obsolete unit it upgrades it. If it does you get a message asking you to upgrade it. The idea was create a new order button rather than fortify one. Although the fortify can be pretty annoying but works nicely.

The code was based on yours old one (same functions and events used, the unit from army scroling and saving unit type in tmp global variable, etc...). Although it is unrecognizebly. A whole new work. I remember i have told you that i was working on that and i just needed the original game unit which has been finished by Tamerlin.

Anyway here it is the strings are in the message.txt file. It only conatins the messages for the updater.

I am sorry to hear we have worked in paralel, Peter.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip newupdater.zip (5.3 KB, 13 views)
-Jean Rostand

Last edited by Pedrunn; January 17, 2003 at 11:29.
Old January 16, 2003, 07:41   #10
Tamerlin
King

Hi Pedrunn,

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedrunn
Anyway here it is the strings are in the message.txt file. It only contains the messages for the updater.
I have translated the newupdater strings, do I have to create a new APOL_newupdater_str.txt file and activate it in the APOL_Strings.txt (english folder) and in the APOL_gamefile.txt (default folder, actually I don't know if this file must be changed) or can I simply copy and paste the new strings in the APOL_main_str.txt (english folder for the original file, french folder for the translated strings)?
Old January 16, 2003, 21:28   #11
Tamerlin
King

Newupdater problem with OK string
I have incorporated the newupdater into the Apolyton Pack installed in my computer.

I renamed your file APOL_newupdater.slc and enabled it in the APOL_main.slc located in the default folders.

I then added the new strings into the APOL_main_str.txt in the English and French folders and tried to run the game. When it loaded the slic and their corresponding strings it generated a string error as the CtP2 program was unable to find the OK string (needed for the OK button) in the string DB.

I added OK "Yes" in the English and French APOL_main_str.txt files and the game loaded successfully.

I didn't have the time to test your New Updater (as I was busy trying to solve this problem) but I will post a feedback as soon as I have.

By the way, is it necessary to add the new strings into the APOL_slicstrings.txt in the language folders?

Last edited by Tamerlin; January 16, 2003 at 21:53.
Old January 17, 2003, 11:27   #12
Pedrunn
King

I added yhe OK string, still i dont believe there is no ok button in CTP2 original game
BTW, Tamerlin the best translation is "Ok" or "Close". Once you test it you will see that "yes" just dont fit.
-Jean Rostand
Old January 17, 2003, 12:10   #13
Tamerlin
King

Quote:
I added yhe OK string, still i dont believe there is no ok button in CTP2 original game
BTW, Tamerlin the best translation is "Ok" or "Close". Once you test it you will see that "yes" just dont fit.
OK, I have been confused by the fact there is also an EXIT button which is often translated as "close" in french as far as computer programs are concerned.

Can I post the APOL_newupdater on the Forum as soon as I have tested it? It will be credited to you of course.

Btw, is it necessary to add the new strings into the APOL_slicstrings.txt in the language folders?
Old January 17, 2003, 18:15   #14
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

The is not only one ok button in the game there are severals here are two strings I found in the GM1_ldl_str.txt (German version):

BUTTON_CLOSE "OK"
BUTTON_OK "OK"

So the ok button is there to use it in slic code just use just add an ID_ in fron of BUTTON_ and the other string names. Like this:

ID_BUTTON_OK "OK"

So no additional string is needed for the game.

-Martin
Old January 24, 2003, 17:17   #15
Engineer_J
Settler

I started a new game with the updater, but it never asked me to update any units? I was playing the Super Apol Pack with Good Mod, it the updater only good for the regular Super Apol Pack?
Old January 24, 2003, 21:58   #16
Tamerlin
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Engineer_J
I started a new game with the updater, but it never asked me to update any units? I was playing the Super Apol Pack with Good Mod, it the updater only good for the regular Super Apol Pack?
The Updater I have posted is only working with the Apolyton Pack but can easily be adapted to the GoodMod (at least I think so).

But I have checked the GoodMod files and Martin is using a different structure than Dale which means I don't know exactly which files must be changed as some are called GM1, GM2 and others GM1_MM2.

Martin will certainly give us a hint that will allow me to guide you.
Old January 25, 2003, 10:04   #17
Peter Triggs
King

Engineer_j,

Did you

Quote:
Edit the APOL_main.slic file you will found in your C:\Program Files\Activision\Call To Power 2\ctp2_data\default\gamedata folder and add the following line at the end :
#include "APOL_updater.slc"
Old January 25, 2003, 12:21   #18
Tamerlin
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Triggs
Did you...
Hi Peter,

This is what I was about to reply yesterday but Engineer_J is playing with Martin's GoodMod, though I think this line must be added in the GoodMod equivalent of the APOL_main.slc file, I don't know how this file is named in the GoodMod.
Old January 25, 2003, 14:39   #19
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

There is no APOL_main.slc in GoodMod, the additional slic files are all added at the end of the GM1_APOL_script.slc file, as I made own versions of half of Dale's slic files and as I added my own files to the script.slc anyway the APOL_main.slc became obsolete. So you have to add this line:

#include "APOL_updater.slc"

to the end of the GM1_script.slc if you want to use the unit updater with the CityMod2 version and the above line needs to be added to the GM1_APOL_script.slc if you want to use it with the ApolytonPack version of GoodMod.

-Martin
Old January 25, 2003, 22:22   #20
Tamerlin
King

Thanks for your help Martin, it's very kind of you to take some of your time to give us some advices.
Old January 25, 2003, 22:48   #21
Peter Triggs
King

Ahh, I see.

I incorporated GoodMod into SAP straightaway because I'd never contemplate playing any version of CTP2 that doesn't contain GoodMod. But I did it slightly differently than Martin's official version.
Old January 26, 2003, 17:50   #22
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 15:14
Nice sig Peter
Old January 26, 2003, 20:24   #23
Peter Triggs
King

I thought it would contrast nicely with yours
Old January 27, 2003, 11:56   #24
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 15:14
I think it does. We should see how many adjacent posts we can make in the Civ3/RoN forums
Old January 29, 2003, 23:33   #25
Tamerlin
King

Pedrunn,

I am currently testing your Updater.slc and I have noticed some problems:

1 - When the units to be updated are part of an army with other units, the Fortify order don't ask me if I want to update my units when I have previously refused to do so (not quite sure of this one).

2 - When there are several units to update in an army and I click the button asking to show me them the Updater enters a kind of limited loop and ends up returning a message like ChooseObsUnitToUpgrade (or something very close to this) while I am sent at the other side of the map.

3 - If I disperse the units inside an army and give each unit I want to update the individual order to Fortify, I am asked if I want to update it (even if I have already refused previously in the turn) but I am not charged any gold for the update if I click on the Upgrade them all button. I never thought a free update could not be cool before.

Have you already tested the slic file and corrected these bugs?
Old January 30, 2003, 00:36   #26
Pedrunn
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tamerlin
2 - When there are several units to update in an army and I click the button asking to show me them the Updater enters a kind of limited loop and ends up returning a message like ChooseObsUnitToUpgrade (or something very close to this) while I am sent at the other side of the map.
It is not a loop. Every message is for a single unit to upgrade.
Ex. If your army is made of 3 archers and a warrior. It will appear 4 messages (not loops) for each one of these units. In this case 4.
Once it all ends the message "ChooseObsUnitToUpgrade" clearly is a mistake and known by me . It should say: "All units of this army have been checked. There is nothing to do here anymore". I will fix this message.
So there is no bug here!

Quote:
3 - If I disperse the units inside an army and give each unit I want to update the individual order to Fortify, I am asked if I want to update it (even if I have already refused previously in the turn) but I am not charged any gold for the update if I click on the Upgrade them all button. I never thought a free update could not be cool before.
There is a bug here indeed. In which i did not noticed in my testings. I will try to find a solution for it!

Quote:

1 - When the units to be updated are part of an army with other units, the Fortify order don't ask me if I want to update my units when I have previously refused to do so (not quite sure of this one).
Couldnt reproduce you this commenting! How did you tested. Could you test it again! In case the bug is for real tell how did you do it! :confuse:
-Jean Rostand
Old January 30, 2003, 09:00   #27
Tamerlin
King

Quote:

It is not a loop. Every message is for a single unit to upgrade.
This I knew, the "loop" I was writing about is the "ChooseObsUnitToUpgrade" message (but it was not clear in my post).

Quote:
Once it all ends the
message "ChooseObsUnitToUpgrade" clearly is a mistake and known by me. It should say: "All units of this army have been checked. There is nothing to do here anymore". I will fix this message.
So there is no bug here!
OK!

Quote:
There is a bug here indeed. In which i did not noticed in my testings. I will try to find a solution for it!
Could you post it when you have the time to finish it, I would like to use your updater.

Quote:
Couldnt reproduce you this commenting! How did you tested. Could you test it again! In case the bug is for real tell how did you do it! :confuse:
I have tried to reproduce it but I have not been able to reach the same result.
However I have noticed the Updater does not always produce the same result, especially when there is a single unit to update, it does not use the appropriate message box and ask you if you want to update all the units. The updater sometimes displays the "ChooseObsUnitToUpgrade", sometimes not.
Old January 30, 2003, 21:59   #28
Tamerlin
King

Peter Triggs,

What about your own version of the updater? I would like to adapt it to the Super Apolyton Pack 2 and test it.
Old January 31, 2003, 09:56   #29
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

As far as I know Peter's unit updater is basically the Cradly unit updater. So you already converted it to the standert version of the game.

-Martin
Old January 31, 2003, 09:59   #30
Tamerlin
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
As far as I know Peter's unit updater is basically the Cradly unit updater. So you already converted it to the standert version of the game.

-Martin
Peter is working on a new version of his updater, you should look higher on this page if you want to see how it works, one of the main differences is you can update your units in the turns following the discoveries through the sleep order.