Old January 1, 2001, 16:52   #1
overcome
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Endangered
From my other post on this topic, I now understand how a square becomes endangered. However, I can't seem to alleviate the problem for city base squares. I use terraformers to raise the level of a square adjacent to the city base square. It will raise a tile to create land between a city base and ocean square, if the city is along the water. Although, this does not seem to raise the level of the base city square. I have even raised several adjacent squares, with no luck. The only tactic that seems to help is using a tectonic missle on an adjacent square. However, has dramatic effects and sometimes knock out farms and such. Am I close to the answer?
Old January 2, 2001, 00:14   #2
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 21:58
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Funny, you should be seeing some effect if you raise a chunk of land adjacent. In general the land raising or lowering operation's effects can be felt further away than doing the same thing at sea.

The effects can be felt furthest away on land when there is a steep gradient. For example target square is 2100, next square down is 1100 and your base(a port) is next to that at 100. Raising the 2100 will likely beach your port city.

Or try something like pushing a motion through council to drop the sea levels. WARNING - the drop never seems to exactly counterbalance the rise. You could very well end up with a (possibly temporary) landbridge to your worst enemy.

Other solutions would include not letting the flooding happen in the first place. You could refrain from PBing the AI or any making terraforming options that make planet angry. Occasionally the AI will polute or launch PBs, but usually the human is responsible for most of the environmental problems.

Or you could ride it out. Make sure your pressure domes are built, that formers and other units are on high ground and start cranking out sea formers.

Old January 2, 2001, 08:42   #3
Aredhran
Prince

Local Time: 05:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Elevations in SMAC can only have one "level" of difference between two adjacent tiles.

Terraforming up/down will only affect neighboring squares if the difference in level after the former completes its work is greater than 1.

Example 1: base square (B) 100m, adjacent square (S) 240m. Terraform Up of S will change its elevation to the 1001-2000 range, but will not affect B.

Example 2: B = 100 m, S = 1240. Terraform Up of S will change its elevation to the 2001-3000 range. All surrounding squares that have an altitude between 1 and 1000 m. will be raised to 1001-2000.

Note that it will cascade until no level difference is greater than 1, ie. if the base square, which is about to be raised to 1001-2000m, is next to an ocean shelf square (O), O will be raised to 1-1000m elevation.

Aredhran