View Poll Results: President for Term 8
Aggie 11 22.45%
Arnelos 19 38.78%
Aro 19 38.78%
Abstain/Banana 0 0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 12, 2003, 22:52   #1
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 06:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Term 8 President Election
You may choose one of these three candidates for President:

Aggie
Arnelos
Aro

This poll will be open for 3 days.
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old January 12, 2003, 23:09   #2
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 08:16
They are all good candidates but just to be fair, Aro hasn't had a chance at being President yet.
Old January 12, 2003, 23:12   #3
Nimitz
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG LegolandNever Ending StoriesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 09:16
I voted First in all the election polls, cool. Vote arnelos he has done a good job.
Old January 13, 2003, 02:49   #4
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

All of them are great candidates, all of them from differing backgrounds in 'poly!

You've got Arnelos, politician extraordinare -
Aggie, renown and famed military commander - and
Aro, whom I personally have a huge respect for, who also makes the best maps ever

I've already made my choice....I'm very curious to see how this turns out...
Old January 13, 2003, 03:23   #5
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

You know guys. I really like every single one of you, so this really isn't fair. I guess I'm going to have to narrow it down somehow.

What can you offer me? Money, food, shelter?

Good luck to every single one of you.

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
Old January 13, 2003, 03:49   #6
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteBandit
You know guys. I really like every single one of you, so this really isn't fair. I guess I'm going to have to narrow it down somehow.

What can you offer me? Money, food, shelter?
Old January 13, 2003, 04:51   #7
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Hey, FINALLY got back online...

My ISP has been down since Saturday night. It's atrociously slow right now, but at least I have access AT ALL.

I'll go answer whatever's new in the campaign thread now.
Old January 13, 2003, 05:51   #8
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

If you still care about this game, vote for Arnelos. At this point, it's really that simple.

If you need this illustrated, however, it might be helpful to outline what each candidate in this race has said in the nomination thread regarding their original intentions behind running for office...

-------------------------------

GodKing started the idea of the President being the dictator in this next election with...

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
I would be willing to do so and be prez if, and only if, nobody else wants to do it.

If I am it, there will be NO turnchats.

If I am it, any missing minister orders I will make judgements, and issue either my own or halt the game.

I will, in essance, be a petty dictator, doing what I want, how I want, when I want, and so forth. That doesn't mean I will intentionally brake any laws or violate the reasoning behind having the demo-game. It just means that I will run it like a person who isn't going to put up with a lot of crap.

If I have a VP who is willing, they will be more than welcome to play the game as a chat every now and then.

Because of how I know I will run this, I strongly advise someone else to run. I would much rather stay a justice for this month.

GK
Aggie, jumping on the idea of being "dictator", posting the following...

Quote:
Originally posted by Aggie
If no one else wants to be prez, I would consider it, but it would be much the same araingement GK mentioned, except we would have about 1 turnchat a week on the weekends. but during the week we would have a turnthread. Gernerally it would be in the form of a continually moving turn. I'd play when I could a turn post the results and then would do the next turn after input(particularly for the SMC, since the other orders could be done ahead of time).
Aggie
A page or so later, the first post by Aro...

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
As a matter of fact, no one is running for Prez right now. Panag didn't accepted yet, the same with Arnelos and Aggie.
If this continues, I'll run for the office myself! It's a menace!
Then, Aro posted again:

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
Hehe... As everybody here knows, I'm just kidding. Do you have any idea about how much time a normal turnchat (2~6 hours) could last in my hands? Figure this: I'll be reading the orders in English, translating in my head, thinking in Portuguese, translating, talking with you guys in English, rinse, repeat... sloooowly! 4~10 hours, at a conservative estimate! All this supposing I’ll not do many mistakes…
If I run, Banana will wins. I’ll be ashamed forever.
To remove confusion, and my understanding of the complete lack of any remotely serious candidates:

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
I am hereby running for President

I have already begun my checking for Vice Presidential candidates and Domestic Minister candidates (one of each at this point). If I can get someone to run for Domestic Minister, I'll do it.

As for other things, I have no problem with Shiber as FAM (I've been trying to get him to run for something for 3 terms now ) or even Meshelic as SMC (though we'll have to watch him closely ).
Aro, as a jest to provoke panag, suggested that he could run with panag...

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
Panag, do you want to run? If so, I'll run too! Just for fun... and to give Arnelos some fight.
After two cryptic panag posts, Aro decided to throw his hat in...

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
Well... Boys, put our names in the hat! We (Panag and me) are in the race for the presidency!
Man, I hope I can get at least two electors: Arnelos and me.
Then, Aggie tentatively announced he might be running...

Quote:
Originally posted by Aggie
Tentatively I announce my candidacy for president, its been awhile since we had a contested presidential election and I couldn't ask for anymore excellent opponents.
Aggie
-------------------------------

So, to tally up...

1. The basis of Aro's candidacy is a joke (he stated himself on multiple occassions that his candidacy was not serious) rather than a serious bid for the position.

2. The basis of Aggie's candidacy is GodKing's suggestion that the President need not hold turnchats and that the President might as well just act as the petty dictator of the whole nation rather than being swayed by popular sentiment or potentially annoying legalities. If anyone else were running, we might assume this was just a joke as well. But given that the only reason this guy WASN'T impeached for violating the law last term was that he was already leaving office, we have to take this a little more seriously.

3. The basis of Arnelos' candidacy is really a reaction to the two of the above and a vote to keep the democracy in the democracy game. (1) I'm actually serious about running, (2) I've said I'll actually fill the job description, and, by far most importantly, (3) I've made it clear through both word and action that I have a respect for this democracy.

So, if you still care about this democracy game (I know there are still some of you out there!), vote for me. If not, my opponents seem to be offering enough alternatives to suit your tastes.

I may not enjoy running 6-hour turnchats, but at least I still care enough to do the job right.
Old January 13, 2003, 06:57   #9
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 11:16
Quote:

...So, to tally up...

1. The basis of Aro's candidacy is a joke (he stated himself on multiple occassions that his candidacy was not serious) rather than a serious bid for the position.

...I may not enjoy running 6-hour turnchats, but at least I still care enough to do the job right.

The fact is, the basis of all we're doing here it's a joke (just try to explain all that Apolytonian stuff to your wife, or girlfriend, family, boss, roommates, friends... The answer will be "are you kidding me?" in most cases... ). And fun. Even so, we still care enough to do the job right...

Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic

...You've got Arnelos, politician extraordinare...
You're definitely right, Mesh!
Old January 13, 2003, 07:28   #10
Arnelos
Emperor

Look, if people who are playing in this so called "democracy game" have decided that they really just don't want to have a democracy anymore or a game, that's fine. It will give me some spare time on my weekends.

If you guys still want to have a game and still have it be a democracy game though, I remain your only viable candidate.

This happens to be the reason why I'm in the race. I honestly do not believe that either of my opponents is serious about fulfilling the job description of President and keeping this democracy game around.

Aro doesn't seem to be serious about the race AT ALL.

Aggie is serious about being President alright, he's just not serious about playing by the rules or fulfilling his duties.

If either of these guys (or someone else) had made a convincing case in the nomination thread that they were serious about the office, I wouldn't be running. I've had my term. I'm running, in truth, because neither of them ever seriously entered the race (and they still haven't...).
Old January 13, 2003, 07:43   #11
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Arnelos, Aggie is serious about the game AND he's very serious about playing by the rules or fulfilling his duties. Don't say that.
I'll quote Panag:

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

have a nice day
Btw, I make jokes about myself all the time... But I'm serious about my duties (here and in RL).
Old January 13, 2003, 07:55   #12
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Quote:

If you guys still want to have a game and still have it be a democracy game though, I remain your only viable candidate.
Arnelos, you are definitively a great candidate. But... only you?
If you prove me that, I'll vote for you (I didn't voted yet )!
Old January 13, 2003, 09:17   #13
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 16:16
I guees that, whatever the winner, our cities will all enter WLAD

BTW, I voted Arnelos : he has been a great and involved prez during last term, very willing to give lmuch time for the war turnchats, and very competent in his duties. He was also extremely aware of what happened in this forum, and listened to the citizens of our glorious Democracy.
No offense to Aggie or Aro (who I think will be good at the job), but I simply think Arnelos is the best among these good candidates
Old January 13, 2003, 11:59   #14
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 10:16
Ohhh, this is getting very close to the point of there being wet sticky soil that is flying through the air (mud slinging). I think I'll wait until the it's over before I cast my vote.....

E_T
Old January 13, 2003, 12:17   #15
Aro
lifer
Emperor

No mud is needed. We'll be good boys.
After all, if Arnelos or Aggie wins, you guys will get the same: an excellent Prez (both tested!).
Old January 13, 2003, 13:26   #16
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I just want to say that no matter who wins we will have an excellent president. As a matter of fact I think so highly of the other candidates that, if elected, I will choose the vp from them. I admit it will be a hard choice, but either way the country comes out ahead.
Aggie
Old January 13, 2003, 13:55   #17
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I voted for Arnelos.
Old January 13, 2003, 14:06   #18
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Another Arnelos vote here...I fear we might have a legal problem in creating a runoff (which is very likely) if there is a tie for 2nd...

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old January 13, 2003, 14:24   #19
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 15:16
Who will best protect the democracy part of the game next term, when the Senate will evaporate in multiple *meetings*, when anybody will do what he wants with a bunch of 13 absentees, when justices will act as ballots counters and then judge that the vote was legal ?
Old January 13, 2003, 15:07   #20
Meshelic
King

While I think Arnelos would make an excellent President, I believe they all would.

My vote goes to Aggie, for he wishes to make things easier for the SMC by handing over the save.

Arnelos seems as though he doesn't really want to run for Prez again, but is running because he doesn't want to see Aggie or Aro win. I understand his reasons, but...
Old January 13, 2003, 15:09   #21
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

come on.....
more mud.

Lots more mud.

Please

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old January 13, 2003, 15:58   #22
Meshelic
King

Old January 13, 2003, 17:35   #23
jdd2007
NationStates
King

3 very worthy candidate, but aggies military experience is what apolyton needs.
Old January 13, 2003, 18:03   #24
Meshelic
King

Aro your PM box is full, I recommend you clear some space asap!
Old January 13, 2003, 18:19   #25
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic
Aro your PM box is full, I recommend you clear some space asap!
Sorry!
Done.
Old January 13, 2003, 18:43   #26
Meshelic
King

[RP]

I ask the members of the Senate to consider a few things.

That A) We are still at war. We have only conquered half of Germany, and are facing an entrenched enemy, our initiative and surprise gone. The Romans still remain in the west, the Chinese and Zulus on the other side of the world, still our enemies and attacking our allies.

Who would you prefer as President during the final stages of our offensives in this world war? Arnelos, whose peaceful opposition to war has been longstanding? How are you to know that his peaceful tendencies won't compromise our victorious position? How are we to know he won't hold back our more aggressive ministers, namely Meshelic and Shiber, from accomplishing their objectives for which they have garnered much support?

Or would you rather have Aggie, who has led our military forces time and time again throughout many successful wars? A leader so renown that we've erected a glorious monument in his honor! What a disgraceful end should he be defeated by a civilian!

Vote Aggie if you wish to see the DIA focus more on what they're good at: building our cities. Vote Aggie if you wish to see our enemies vanquished jointly by a President who allows his Minister of War complete freedom in carrying out his objectives, who supports a Foreign Minister who will keep our nation economically strong and our enemies at bay!

Vote Aggie if you wish to see the glory of Apolytonia achieved!

[end RP]

(purely politics Arnelos, you understand)
Old January 13, 2003, 18:48   #27
=OttomusCeasar=
PtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 14:16

What are Aggie and Aro thinking? They've split the GoW vote! (And their still fairly close to Arnelos. )
Old January 13, 2003, 18:50   #28
Meshelic
King

Aro stay in there!

Meshelic
Old January 13, 2003, 22:48   #29
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Meshelic: don't worry, it doesnt really matter who wins this, it's almost certainly going to a runoff, so only who's in first OR second matters.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old January 14, 2003, 00:01   #30
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Up to now I have ignored the half truths and distortions of Arnlelos. I was hoping that whatever rl event that upset him would pass and he would apologize, but this hasn't occured. I have decided honor demands I respond. If you look at his post you would think I am a person who never plays by the rules and does only what he wants. We all know this is untrue. Everything I have done in this game has been to help the nation. Not ONCE did I ever go against the will of the people. Always I have been guided by their desires. For example earlier this week, when we were bogged down in the GL issue, I looked at the constitution closely and decided it did allow for "senate chats". So I pushed this idea and soon others took up the call and it was done. I did this because we all know the greatest enemy of this game isn't other civs, it is people losing interest. He would call this not playing by the rules, I call it looking for a solution to a problem. Yet for 2 days after the chat he did NOTHING, and hid behind a"waiting for a judicial review" excuse. There was no legal challenge to the chat, yet the will of the people was thwarted. In theory this is an impeachable offense. In the very least he did not perform the duties of a leader and try to get a solution. All who know me know that I do try to get solutions, some through the forums, some through chats and other times through pm's. You all know that I listen and try to find a way that as many people as possible will be satisfied. Now I ask you who has done the greater wrong, one who does something that is common sense(as I did with the MPP against rome) or one who actively goes against the will of the people. Let me assure you that I will always obey the people, as I have always done. I think it is unfortunate that a president will go to such lengths of character assasination to keep his job and I hope you the people will send him a clear message that this is unacceptable.
Thank You
Aggie