View Poll Results: President for Term 8
Aggie 11 22.45%
Arnelos 19 38.78%
Aro 19 38.78%
Abstain/Banana 0 0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 14, 2003, 23:05   #61
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 08:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
...and oh yeah...

*splat* *splat* *splat*

* Arnelos pulls out the MudCannon 3000 *

Okay, Arnie, don't use that...it could poke someone's eye out...

Old January 14, 2003, 23:11   #62
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 11:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos

Unless Aro speaks up about what he's running for, voting for Aro is comparable to voting Banana.
Wow... Thanks, Arnelos! However, flattering won't help you.

Anyway... I'm running for the continuity of the game. I'm running because I'm not an expert in this game, but I'll have the help and support from people who knows how to play. I'm running to follow the orders of the people of Apolyton. Economy? I don't understand so much about it... But Shiber does, and a lot of other people here. I'm not able to win any war at any level above warlord... But Meshelic is able. I turn on the governor of all my cities in my games... Well, joncnunn will make detailed analysis of production and growth.
Basically, I'm running because we are in a Democracy and I can do it!

Turnchats? I’ll try to run two by week, same as you. One at the weekends, for sure. Btw, with correct preparation, coffee, cigarettes and all orders printed, not to mention my three computers turned on, I think I can run a turnchat or two before the people depose me…

My English isn't so good, Arnelos... I can write excellent pieces in Portuguese (believe me, I can! ), but not in English. My vocabulary isn’t enough. So what? If I win (not likely. Don’t worry about it, you will win), I’ll try to nominate someone as my secretary, to help me with the language… especially about curses and how to swear properly. This will help at the chats…
I'll also nominate a legal advisor (hmmm... I have to ask the justices about this... ). The goal is try to run the game without many interruptions and legal problems. As you can see, I’m not Stalin, and certainly I’m not Forrest Gump (Well, I hope so! ).

About jokes... Well, as a professional cartoonist, I love gags, even nasty ones. You posted above many jokes about my political tendencies. My own jokes… You stole me!
I like your sense of humor, Arnelos. A little disrespectful, maybe, but it's very smart. Top quality.

For your information, and for the records, I’m not a communist. I’m a Democrat (not an American democrat, if you know what I mean… ) and a humanist. You, Arnelos, are a brilliant and talented young Republican politician (the worst kind! Just kidding ) and I respect you. Not to mention how good Prez you are… (I'm not kidding or being ironic now, believe me or not!)

So… could you please stop that? I mean, You’re talking about an old cartographer who gave his best years for the glory of Apolytonia! Give me a medal instead of mud.

I’ll borrow your own words:

Quote:

…No matter how many times you say it, it still doesn't make it true.
Arnelos, don't take your Palpatine avatar so seriously.
Old January 14, 2003, 23:21   #63
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Arnelos, I can't write more than I posted above. It was my best effort. I practically spent all my English (and mud)!
So, do not insist...
Old January 14, 2003, 23:28   #64
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
My English isn't so good, Arnelos... I can write excellent pieces in Portuguese
Then do so. I think you should write a very excellent campaign post in your native tongue.

Then we shall watch Arnelos try to debate it.
Old January 14, 2003, 23:57   #65
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:16
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Aro, that was magnificent. It made me vote for you.

If you wrote something in Spanish, I could probably translate.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old January 15, 2003, 01:04   #66
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Unfortunately I can't... Spanish has lot of words and structures in common with Portuguese... But a lot of traps too. My Spanish is even worst than my English.
Old January 15, 2003, 01:04   #67
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:16
Nice piece, Aro. Don't know what you mean about your English; it looks good to me.
Old January 15, 2003, 08:33   #68
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Aro--

Great response to the mud-thrower over there
Old January 15, 2003, 10:47   #69
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 10:16
Just Voted, Wow, not a single vote for the BANANA....

E_T
Old January 15, 2003, 11:02   #70
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

wow. It is nice to have a real campaign for once.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old January 15, 2003, 13:54   #71
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Aro,

Bravo!

It's about time you woke up!

I was honestly getting tired of debating with myself (oh, and Meshelic)

You have no idea how unsatisfying it is to hold a debate w/o a real opponent to debate against. Personally, I prefer a living, breathing opponent who cares to fight back.

As for taking my Palpatine avatar too seriously, nothing of the sort! I was honestly beginning to wonder how much additional taunting it would take to get you to actually enter the race (and you were probably wondering how much longer you could get away with letting me be the only one slinging mud before you had to get up and say something).

For the record, I appreciate your sense of humor enormously. You know very well that anything in rp tags means its thoroughly tongue-in-cheek, of course.

---------------

Now that you're IN the race (which is good, since you're running for President and all...), we can dispense with the above and discuss some stuff of real interest.

For instance, while you say that you may simply use Shiber to run your economic affairs, it remains the case that (to borrow a phrase from mid-century American politics), the buck stops at the President's desk. Ultimately, YOU have to be the one to decide. The latest turnchat offered several examples of where the other ministers and those present for a chat were evenly divided on an issue and I, as President, had to make the decision w/o a clear consensus behind either option.

In economic matters, on what basis would you make such a decision?

Defer to Shiber (specifically)? What if Shiber isn't there?

Defer to another? If another, do you plan to provide a prioritized list of people you will defer economic decision-making to (Shiber, Kloreep, etc.)?

If you have to make a decision on your own, what are your priorities for the nation? What do you see as an outline of how you'd like the nation to progress over the next term? What types of improvements do you feel are especially critical to rush? Do you have any particular thoughts on the scientific development or financial planning for the nation?

The point is that your advisors are not always there to do everything for you. It would be a wonderful world if they were, but they aren't. Joncnunn, though he has been a FANTASTIC Executive Advisor for Science, has rarely been present when I, as President, had to change our research goals in a chat due to new events. In such situations, I was forced to make decisions on my own without the benefit of his sound advice. Occassionally, I had the good luck of someone like roadcage being present to provide good advice of his own, but this wasn't always the case.

Another major issue is that the President has the responsibility to fill in for missing ministers at the chat if a minister fails to appoint a deputy (or their appointed deputy fails to show up or leaves early). At different points during the past term, I have had to serve as President, Foreign Affairs Minister, and Domestic Minister all at the same time (E_T was present at every single chat, bravo!). While I was able to get help from a number of people (Kloreep and dejon in the latest chat, for instance) to check on deal for Foreign Affairs and look at individual cities for rush costs and other details, ultimately decisions had to be made by myself. The minister elected to those positions was not present and many times either hadn't left instructions on that issue.

Whether it's facing an evenly divided quickpoll on whether to tell the Japanese to get off our land and having no orders from the FAM on what to do, or it's deciding whether to spend the entire treasury rushing a Cathedral and a marketplace on a particular turn, or some other issue, there are always unexpected things that hit the President where he has to make a decision and the advice and popular sentiment are both divided.

The bottom line is that there are times (not many of them, but they seem to pop up often enough...) that the President has to make a critical decision w/o a whole lot of unified guidance.

What will you do?
Old January 15, 2003, 15:19   #72
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Arnelos, thanks for your nice words.

Seriously, I'm very conscious about the final responsibility. But in the chats I never saw anybody making decisions alone, by himself. Everyone has something to say (or even scream ) if the poor guy (the Prez) is about to mess up the game...
An example:

Shoober> STOP!
Ardennos> What?
Shoober> Don’t sell nuclear power to Otto!
Ardennos> Why not? Otto is a nice guy… What difference can make some ICBM’s?
SMC_T_V> Suspend the chat, Mr. President… You’re under arrest!

And I know, many fellows here are anxious to help (maybe to save me from myself... and the game )

I have some common sense, not much, but enough to be prepared and act carefully when playing the game. Of course, I have to read and understand each thread, especially the order's thread. My wife will kill me for the extra time I’ll spend here, but I don’t care. Generations of Apolytonians will remember my sacrifice for the glory of our great Nation. Common sense, as you can see. And a huge ego too.
Old January 15, 2003, 15:42   #73
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Nice response.

Quote:
And a huge ego too.
Indeed... you show great understanding for the real requirements of the job.
Old January 15, 2003, 17:27   #74
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 06:16
It's still anyone's race at this point,...not much longer though...
Old January 15, 2003, 18:04   #75
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Darn it...... looks like they kissed and made up.... no more mud. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Tied race..... come on people, only 48 votes so far. And not even a single banana. Wow.

Good luck to everybody.

GK

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old January 15, 2003, 18:11   #76
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Unless in the little time remaining in the election Arnelos or Aro gets 11 more than the other of them does there'll be a runoff.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old January 15, 2003, 18:42   #77
mrmitchell
King

--the Apolyton Times--

ELECTIONS DEADLOCKED!
ARNELOS, ARO TIED WITH MINUTES LEFT!
[size=2]ANARCHY DESCENDS UPON THE STREETS OF APOLYTON![/b]
Thus, such sensationalism is allowed

Both are good, but Arnelos has already gotten a stay in the Presidential Mansion. I suggest that anyone left not voting votes for Aro.

(A runoff is inevitable, but Aro really should get a try at the office. )
Old January 15, 2003, 19:17   #78
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

This thing looks like it will turn into a run-off election, which is always fun to see.

All I ask is that it not end up as a tie. Those ties are troublesome. I'm going to begin chatting informally with the court to see what we think the tiebreaking method should be, if it comes to that.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old January 15, 2003, 19:22   #79
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Well with 11 votes for Aggie, as long as all of them vote for either Arnelos or Aro in the runoff and the other 19 voters for Arnelos and Aro stay the same, there won't be a tie.
Old January 15, 2003, 21:15   #80
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

This has certainly been among one of the most exciting Presidential elections in our history.

I swear upon it that regardless of outcome, as Term 8 SMC I shall coordinate and cooperate with either of these talented and gifted candidates to the utmost of my ability.

Meshelic
Old January 15, 2003, 22:53   #81
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 16:16
Meshelic : you didn't see hte breathtaking election of 2nd term President. A whole week of Anguish and competition for both candidates ! AN environment of mud-flinging between Timeline (DIA founder) and Trip (UFC founder) ! An epic tale of politics who left nobody unscathed
Old January 15, 2003, 23:11   #82
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Thank you guys who voted for me... or voted for Arnelos.
Thank you all
Old January 15, 2003, 23:17   #83
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
Thank you guys who voted for me... or voted for Arnelos.
Thank you all
I'm going to thank the people that voted for Aggie, too!

Thank you everyone.
Old January 15, 2003, 23:32   #84
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Quote:

I'm going to thank the people that voted for Aggie, too!

Thank you everyone.
You're absolutely right.
Old January 15, 2003, 23:46   #85
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Togas
This thing looks like it will turn into a run-off election, which is always fun to see.

All I ask is that it not end up as a tie. Those ties are troublesome. I'm going to begin chatting informally with the court to see what we think the tiebreaking method should be, if it comes to that.

--Togas
That's good to hear -- I'd hate to have things get messy and wind up without a PRESIDENT .

-- adaMada

EDIT: Not that last time was the Court's fault -- but it'd be REALLY bad if we didn't have a President, whereas we can technically sorta notreally operate without a Domestic Minister (as long as we're willing to accept no general strategy and anarchy for a few turns, anyway...)
Old January 16, 2003, 00:07   #86
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Ada, check your PM's...
Old January 16, 2003, 00:44   #87
Meshelic
King

This has been one of the coolest elections ever, (that's I'VE seen anyways).

I haven't seen a tied Presidential race, nor have I seen a runoff poll where each nominee has a running mate...