Old December 29, 2000, 14:37   #1
Tyrannus
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:58
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Where's the tech tree?
I just got SMAC for Xmas! Yippee!

But... When I opened it I discovered that there is no tech tree chart. The documentation in the box specifically lists the tech tree as being on of the items in the box but its not here.

I went to Best Buy to try to exchange it for a copy with a tech tree but there was none in that box either.

So, short of knocking on Firaxis' door (who I expect will ignore me) does anyone know where I can maybe download a copy of the tech tree?

Thanks!

Tyr

Oh, and is there a PBEM patch for this thing somewhere? I know I can play multiplayer with a direct connection but I thought PBEM and hotseat were supported too.
Old December 29, 2000, 23:55   #2
Misotu
Emperor

Local Time: 05:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010

Hi Tyrannus, there is a downloadable tech tree that someone produced. Can't remember who it was, so I'm bumping this hoping they'll see the thread and respond.

What is your problem with PBEM? If you select "Multiplayer", then hotseat/pbem is one of the options?
Old December 30, 2000, 00:33   #3
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 21:58
tech tree thread found and bumped (Helium Pond's tree, Alinestra Covelia's website)
Old December 30, 2000, 03:55   #4
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 23:58
Cool. I always hated looking at the poster because I have limited desk place. And I sometimes play on another computer. Thanks Googlie for bumping the thread.
Old December 30, 2000, 06:10   #5
Zonk
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:58
Googlie, you da man. I want to take this opportunity to thank you myself for the time and effort you put into helping others, whether newbie or experienced player.
Old December 30, 2000, 08:37   #6
MariOne
King

Local Time: 06:58
The fact remains that Tyrannus was ripped of a game accessory all the other customers received... was it due to EA marketing policy, save on the posters when the game hits the bargain bin?

I figured that in the states, knocking on a company's complaints counter because the sold an itme lacking of one of the specified parts could make them move, there must surley be a law about that by you...;^)

Tyrannus, did you got SMAC or the bundle with SMAX (Alien X-fire)?
Because the original game had to be patched to add the Hotseat/PBEM option, while the expansion included the latest patch for the original version (you have to fetch the patch for Crossfire tho). You can download from the SMAC page of this site, for instance.
Old December 30, 2000, 14:51   #7
Helium Pond
Prince

I was under the impression (which I got by standing in the store and shaking the box with my ear next to it) that the latest, "Classic" version of SMAC is sold sans manual and sans tech tree, with only a .pdf version of the manual, on the disk or something.
Old December 30, 2000, 20:07   #8
MariOne
King

that's understandable for bargain editions, but then they should at least care to edit the content list which says it's included, or add a simple sheet of paper stating "Economic edition: the manuals ect. only come in electronic support" or something.
Old December 30, 2000, 20:32   #9
Muzta
Settler

I didn't even get a manual
Old December 30, 2000, 20:39   #10
MariOne
King

not even in .pdf form?

BTW, Googlie, there was a subsequent thread to the one you bumped,
One-Page Tech Trees Posted
Old January 1, 2001, 20:38   #11
WhiteElephants
King

Local Time: 23:58
Well, I'm not alone after all. When I first picked up the Alien Crossfires Expansion I too neither recieved the manual or the tech tree. What gives, huh? I ended up taking it back to Media Play and getting another box with all its contents included so I guess I'm not to sore about it all.
Old January 2, 2001, 12:24   #12
Tyrannus
Chieftain

Thanks very much for the help folks!

The game I got is the SMAC 'Classic' (i.e. Bargin Bin) version after returning it and trying the contents of another box I have had to conclude that this version does not include the tech tree although the documentation states that it does. The manual is listed under the contents as being on the CD though. As someone pointed out it is probably easier to use online documentation than having to spread it out over limited desk space.

As for the PBEM issue. I pulled the SMAC patch from Apolyton and installed it before I ever tried to play the game. I'll check the multiplayer options again, maybe I missed something.

Thanks again All,

Tyr
Old January 2, 2001, 19:35   #13
Tyrannus
Chieftain

Hmm... the last option I see is 'Serial Connection For Direct PLay'. Is there a way to tell if I have the patch correctly installed?

TIA,

- Tyr
Old January 3, 2001, 01:02   #14
Aredhran
Prince

Local Time: 05:58
When you click on the "Multiplayer" button in the main menu, you should see a small popup window appear where you can choose the type of network game (TCP/IP, IPX, etc). The option you're looking for is the last one on that list, labeled "Hotseat/PBEM" or something like that.

Aredhran