Old January 1, 2001, 16:44   #1
overcome
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Defend Orbitals??
Enemy factions keep destroying my orbital enhancements. All of my Sky Hydroponics facilities were knocked out in one turn. I am guessing that the orbital defense pod is the method of defense, but am uncertain. Also, what if you have multiple improvements, do you need multiple defense pods? Also, I noticed when creating a scenario, you cannot add orbital enhancements to a base (like you can any other facility), am I missing something?

More importantly, how to you attack an enemy's orbital facilities??
Old January 1, 2001, 16:49   #2
LoD
Prince

Local Time: 05:58
1.ODPs are not for passive defense. They are for destroying enemy orbital enhancements (and for protection against PBs, but that's another story).
The only way you can defend against orbital attacks is to destroy enemy ODPs before they strike.

2.ODPs are independent structures. They are neither bound to other satelites, nor they are bound to specific bases. The same applies to other satelites.

------------------
---LoD

He, who comprehends the past, shall conquer the present and rule the future.
Old January 1, 2001, 17:24   #3
overcome
Chieftain

Great.

How do you deploy them?
Are they a one shot deal?
Old January 1, 2001, 23:52   #4
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 21:58
Local Date: October 30, 2010
They are a one shot deal only in that you can deploy them only once in a turn. Take out the other factions' ODPs first. You have a 50% chance of winning any orbital battle. If you win, you can use the ODP again, otherwise it gets blown up.

Funny, deploying ODPs is something that happens instinctively for me. How do you do it? Lessee... I think it is on the base operations screen. Click on orbital improvements, if you have ODPs you can then call them up. You will get a view of orbitals around Planet. Win or lose you will get a cool explosion.

On your scenario question, do you already have an Aerospace Complex? I know you can't build ODPs unless you have one of those or the Big Honkin' Elevator SP.
Old January 2, 2001, 00:38   #5
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 21:58
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Unfortunately, in a scenario, you can't assign orbitals - you have to have the various bases complete them thru giving you faction huge energy, playing a turn, rush building and launch them, then reset the scenario to the original date - time consuming, but necessary (and RedFred is right - make sure the bases you want to launch the orbitals from have an aerospace complex, or that that faction has the Skybase Academy)

There's also an old thread somewhere on the logistics of waging a space war

G.
Old January 2, 2001, 01:16   #6
Sindai
Chieftain

Redfred is mostly right about ODP's operation, only it doesn't happen on the base operations screen. It's all directed from the orbital improvements/summary screen.
Old January 2, 2001, 21:14   #7
Muzta
Settler

could they possibly defend you against an astroid?