Settler

Local Time: 09:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Seeling improvements
How do you sell off city improvements?
Old January 13, 2003, 10:14   #2
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 15:18
When inside the city screen, right-click an improvement and coose 'sell'.
Old January 13, 2003, 10:18   #3
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

In the city screen the improvements are in the bottom left corner. Right click on the improvement you want to sell and the option will come up.

Note that you cannot sell aqueducts or hospitals. Also you can sell improvements such a barracks, power plants and research labs after you build the GW that provides them in some of your cities.
Old January 13, 2003, 10:25   #4
craig71l
Settler

Will this work in conquerred cities as well? I ask because I went on a wild domination rant and wasn't paying attention about 15 turns later I had captured approx. 20 cities and found myself in a major financial crisis. I'm almost positive I tried right clicking the improvments to sell them but maybe I didn't. Is anyone aware of issues with seeling off improvemtns in conquered cities?
Old January 13, 2003, 11:36   #5
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 07:18
Quote:
Originally posted by craig71l
Will this work in conquerred cities as well? I ask because I went on a wild domination rant and wasn't paying attention about 15 turns later I had captured approx. 20 cities and found myself in a major financial crisis. I'm almost positive I tried right clicking the improvments to sell them but maybe I didn't. Is anyone aware of issues with seeling off improvemtns in conquered cities?
It's possible that you're only allowed to sell one at time. That's how it used to be in Civ II for all cities. I'm not sure if they kept that rule or not. I generally bombard until there's no buildings left, so it's not an issue for me.
Old January 13, 2003, 12:22   #6
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:18
You can sell them all at once. Execpt like Cerberus said, the hospital and aquaduct.

It's it best to keep the courthouse and market though: for production/gold and happiness reasons.
Old January 13, 2003, 13:18   #7
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 07:18
Quote:
Originally posted by alva
You can sell them all at once. Execpt like Cerberus said, the hospital and aquaduct.

It's it best to keep the courthouse and market though: for production/gold and happiness reasons.
Well if I have a stack of 10 Cannon/Artillery pounding away at a city, I don't have very much choice as to what's left.
Old January 13, 2003, 13:48   #8
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

True,
even without bombardement, you're unlikely the get any improvements after conquering it.
Old January 13, 2003, 13:51   #9
craig71l
Settler

Maybe that's why I couldn't get it to work its possible I was trying to sell an aqueduct or Hospital. I mainly overpowered them with tanks armies and then shear numbers so there wasn't a heck of alot of bobardment to do. But boy what a surprise in the wallet.
Old January 13, 2003, 15:27   #10
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Don't forget, any improvements that generate culture are destroyed anyway, regardless of whether the city was bombarded. Sometimes that doesn't leave much.
Old January 15, 2003, 18:43   #11
latka
Settler

Local Time: 14:18
Selling improvements seems to be a big ripoff. Whenever I have sold them, I didn't get anything that was helpful in returns. The decrease in support costs only helps a little.

Instead, I take a slightly different approach to resolving my money issues. It can be one of the following, or a combination of them.

1) Go begging to the other civilizations by requesting a loan, so far they have not raked me over the coals. It has also seemed to be a virtual peace treaty. No one that I owed money has declared war on me yet. Has anyone else noticed this?

2) Lower the amount I put towards science, or even transfer it to increase my citizens happiness. The later only works if you can get a couple of decent cites to have "We love the **** day." At this moment, I don't remember if that increases the amount of gold and production or if it is just production. If it is the later, then see the next step.

3) Change production of a unit in a city to Wealth. Cities with a great deal of production can pull in alot of money.

4) Make tax collectors wherever possible. Works good in conjuction with step two's transfer method, because entertainers may not be needed in some cities.

I feel the worst thing one can do is sell improvements, with the exception of obsolete ones, due to wonders. They can be to critical in getting a head.

One needs to build temples, courthouses, and police stations in newly aquired cities that are not near ones capitol. This will at least get them to a state where they can actually produce anything. Of course, to do such will take lots of money to build quickly.
Old January 16, 2003, 06:34   #12
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 17:18
How much does the AI usually loan you? What interest rate?
Old January 16, 2003, 10:00   #13
alva
Deity

5%

Depends, but usually you get 19 gold for 1 GPT