Old January 14, 2003, 01:42   #1
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 10:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
McGahee to enter NFL Draft!!

http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2003/0113/1492158.html

Are you kidding me?! What is the rational behind this?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old January 14, 2003, 05:07   #2
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 07:21
he wants to get paid before people realize he can't run anymore. can't blame him after such an injury. but he would be worth more if he came back and still could rush well. now there will be too much uncertainty
Old January 14, 2003, 08:25   #3
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

Local Time: 09:21
The docs say he could play next season, but Miami is so talent laden he probably would not get to. Remember Mc Gahee was the feature back due to an injury last year to another Miami back. The sensible thing would be to take a medical red-shirt next year, watch the other dude do well and go pro, and comback for the 2004 season. But then we are talking about Miami, a team that loses a dozen players to academic ineligiblity every year. I think young Mr Mc Gahee does not see himself slogging thru a year of school for only a possibility of be the star a year later.

Now some NFL team is going to have to decide if it is worth a first round pick to take Mc Gahee. A scenario of drafting him in a late round, putting him on IR, then shipping him to NFL Europe for spring 2004; could pay big dividends to some team. but there is the risk that Mc Gahee will not sign unless he is picked in the first round, thus wasting a draft pick.
Old January 14, 2003, 10:57   #4
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 14:21
The lions were seriously looking to pick him up before his injury, and he had endorsement deals already lined up.

I think he'll probably drop to late first-round, depending on how he performs in combines, which will be key.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old January 14, 2003, 12:01   #5
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Is he even going to perform in combines?

The reason why might be found in this line:

"In his statement, McGahee also said he would not collect on a $2.5 million insurance policy he took out before the national championship game. The policy contains a clause that would allow McGahee to play in up to three college or pro football games without becoming void, Keith Lerner, the Gainesville insurance agent who wrote McGahee's policy, told The Herald."

MacGahee has a choice: take $2.5mil now and never play again, or go the Robert Edwards route and try to come back. Looks like he thinks a reconstructed Willis MacGahee is worth more than $2.5mil in the long term.

What I want to know is, is he still covered by the policy? If he decides in two years that he can't play, and he didn't play in more than 3 games, can he collect?
Old January 14, 2003, 12:14   #6
Flatlander Fox
Civilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 15:21
I think if the language of the deal says that, then he should be covered until he plays three games.

There have been a few guys who have came out of college with a scary pair of knees.

Garrison Hearst comes to mind immediately.

If McGahee is able to perform at the combines, he will be at least a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
Old January 14, 2003, 12:26   #7
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 07:21
id take the money now and invest...maybe get into the bond market...
Old January 14, 2003, 12:44   #8
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Anyone who turns down certain money, knowing they can always go back to school, is nuts.
Old January 14, 2003, 12:55   #9
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:21
I would take the 2.5 mil if I were him. Even leaving aside the unlikeliness of him making that much now that he has been injured, does he really want more guys hitting him on the field after that injury!?!?

Take the 2.5 mil. Invest it conservatively. Should be able to make 100,000 a year in interest. Just live on that. And get the knees fixed and take care of them.
Old January 14, 2003, 13:34   #10
mactbone
Prince

Here's the rub though - the guy would never be able to live "the lifestyle". Look at it, he was expected to make millions coming out of college, he went to a school that recruits athletes good enough to leave school early and make big money. He'll never settle for a mediocre lifestyle, and he doesn't want to go through school.

As Lebchinko from the Simpsons said when asked his major - "Communication! Is phony major, I know!"
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
Old January 14, 2003, 13:56   #11
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

See, here is the problem. It's a BAD knee injury. He won't be able to participate in the combines and that bodes badly. I don't think he'll be a 1st rounder (too much risk). AT BEST, I think he'll be a 3rd rounder. NFL teams don't like to risk it all on someone who may not play for them, especially with the 1st round pick.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old January 14, 2003, 14:54   #12
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:21
He's also taking a bad chance with his health. If he avoids further injury, he may be able to have a near normal lifestyle (playing hoops, etc. Just no football). But if he takes another shot to that knee, he may never even jog again. That's a lot to give up.
Old January 14, 2003, 15:14   #13
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

About returning to college:

Perhaps he cant? Perhaps he skipped school for the last whatever months because he knew he was coming out early? I would have probably done the same, stop going to class and focus entirely on working out and getting ready for the game and the combines.

Of course that would presuppose that Miami would hold an athlete to academic standards.
Old January 14, 2003, 15:32   #14
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

I'm with MacTBone on this one. He's been anticipating the "lifestyle". It's the American Dream. The Fame, The Fortune, The Women, The Parties. A boring middle class 100k a year just doesn't cut it once you've convinced yourself that the dream will be yours. Who here wouldn't risk their knee for a GOOD change at the Dream? I wish him luck, but I'm guessing late second or early third round since nobody will know his true status around draft time.
Old January 14, 2003, 15:52   #15
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 14:21
You think!
Old January 14, 2003, 16:01   #16
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Yep, DaShi.

And you get your wish, banned till 1/20.
Enjoy the rock.

RAH