Old January 3, 2001, 05:56   #1
Skanderbeg
Warlord

Local Time: 04:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What's Your type of victory?
If have meanwhile won a couple of games on transcendent level, and I have remarked that my type of victory (if I win) seems to be changing.
Generally, I play blind research, random faction, random AI factions, on huge random map.
All my first victories where by building the ascendence to transcedence, one of them the "parasitic" way (let Domai build the Voice of Planet and harvest your crawlers).
But the last two games I have won took an other end, perhaps because I am playing a little better now. These two were conquer victories with pactmates. Both these games ended in a pact-of-humans (under my leadership) versus the aliens fight. In one of these two games, I even managed to get Miriam and Zak (and none of them was submissive!) and my custom-made faction played by me in a pact of three against Marr.
So I want to know what's your normal type of victory and if it has changed by becoming more experienced.
Old January 3, 2001, 07:13   #2
grimreap
Chieftain

I have only played to the end once (i'm quite new to the game), I was elected Supreme Leader.
Old January 3, 2001, 09:14   #3
cbn
Prince

Local Time: 01:29
I play transcend level and double blind research with random factions and have tried each type of victory at least once. My most frequent victory type is getting elected supreme leader after wiping the aliens. Second most frequent is a conquer victory (co-op or alone). Both are militaristic style wins but if I'm in a game where I am 3 times as big as any faction I usually can't be bothered to run through the tech tree to the Voice and the Ascent. I do it every now and again for variety but not often.

The other thing I sometimes do is just quit the game when my victory is inevitable. Don't do this often but sometimes the micromanagement and turn length mean the PIA factor is too high to continue through a foregone conclusion where the only question is which type of victory will it be.
[This message has been edited by cbn (edited January 03, 2001).]
Old January 3, 2001, 11:07   #4
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

I almost always go for a transcendence. I have done each of the others, but conquer isn't my style. Even with a momentum or hybrid, I'll still usually play for transcendance
Old January 3, 2001, 11:53   #5
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 23:59
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Well....I like to have everyone on really big continents and set out and conquer the whole planet. The past two games I have had at least two active wars on opposite sides of the planet. Vendetta with one other faction and probably pacted with one faction. For safe areas for troop transit. I just like the style of play.
Old January 3, 2001, 12:24   #6
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 07:59
I have all of them, in this order: Diplomatic, Conquest, Trans, Econ. Once I have had 6 pacts, thus with everyone my ally, and thus winning.
Note that I always play on maps with at least 50% water, and normally choose University, Gaians, soon will go for the Cybers.

------------------
Solver - http://www.aok.20m.com
Old January 3, 2001, 22:56   #7
Misotu
Emperor

Local Time: 05:59
Transcend, transcend and transcend. In that order.
Old January 3, 2001, 23:08   #8
Muzta
Settler

I've conquered, Trandscended, and Economiced. But I get elected supreme leader the most
Old January 4, 2001, 00:36   #9
Sindai
Chieftain

It depends on the faction I'm playing. If I'm playing builder-style and start getting techs more than one every other turn I'll just go for transcend and be done with it.

If I'm going for momentum, I usually end up winning diplomatically after getting two or three submissives and bribing everyone but my current war victim to vote for me.
Old January 4, 2001, 17:41   #10
WhiteElephants
King

Local Time: 23:59
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Transcend is my flavor of choice. Supreme Leader was boring. Never tried Economic. Conquer ends up being a series of tedious turns involving chopper attacks and drop AAA infantry, hoo-hum.