Old January 14, 2003, 09:37   #1
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 16:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Your CPU is not supported?!
Some months ago, I got a new PC with a P4 CPU. Today, I wanted to play SMAX again, but when I started the game, I got a message, saying "Your CPU is not supported. You may attempt to play the game anyway; however, the game might crash." I went to the official site, to check if any patch or something were there, but the only thing I found, was a Win 2000/XP fix. I doubted this was the solution, but tried anyway. It didn't, of course...

Is it anything I can do?
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old January 14, 2003, 09:43   #2
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Forgot to mention, I changed the alpha centauri.ini file, as told in the FAQ here at Apolyton, and the game then started, but I guess it'll be more unstable than before anyways? It would be fine to get rid of the whole problem...
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old January 14, 2003, 10:13   #3
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 07:22
Naw - it'll be more stable, if anything.

I've been running it on a P4 for over a year now, just ignoring the message.

I only have the interceptor scramble bug popping up (which can be cured by disbling my wheelmouse, but I'd rather have the bug than lose the benefits of wheelies)

If you are running WIN XP, download the patch - it seems to make the interceptor bug less automatic as well

G.
Old January 14, 2003, 14:00   #4
Kajak
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:22
Googlie,
Is the interceptor scramble bug the same as the xp terran.exe crash.?????
In either case, I agree, the patch 4 does seem to reduce the midgame crash problem when using xp.
Old January 14, 2003, 14:06   #5
Hendrik
Warlord

Local Time: 14:22
The only problem with the XP patch is that it reduces compatibility for MP games, ALL players need to have the patch installed to play with one player who has the patch installed. I know this is true for IP games, it might not be for PBEM games. I have been running without the patch for a long time without any problems.
Old January 14, 2003, 20:24   #6
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 07:22
I don't think it's true for PBEMs - I am in several where I am the only XP patched player, and all seems hunkey-dorey in these games
Old January 15, 2003, 07:29   #7
Plan9
Chieftain

Works fine for IP games too Hendrik.

Only bug I've encountered was a crash while a human Angels reached the covert ops-center tech (can't remember off the top of my head - PSA?)