Old January 14, 2003, 12:33   #1
Jaakko
King

Local Time: 16:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
US blocks cheap drugs agreement
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2596751.stm

Quote:
The United States has blocked an international agreement to allow poor countries to buy cheap drugs.

This means millions of poor people will still not have access to medicines for diseases such as HIV/Aids, malaria and tuberculosis.

US negotiators say the deal would allow too many drugs patents to be ignored.
Can anyone here offer an explanation for US' resistance, apart from them being the pharm. lobby's *****?
Because I can't honestly fathom any other reason for this than plain old greed.
Old January 14, 2003, 12:39   #2
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 07:22
there is no good reason
Old January 14, 2003, 12:40   #3
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 22:22
Money over lives. Yes, yes, what a country.
Old January 14, 2003, 12:57   #4
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 10:22
From the article:

Quote:
The United States said the proposed deal would mean that illnesses that are not infectious, such as diabetes and asthma, could also be treated with cheap, generic drugs.
Is there any truth to this part?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 14, 2003, 13:35   #5
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 09:22
It's too bad a compromise couldn't be reached.

What surprised me more was the article itself.
I used to think (and respect) BBC reporting because of it's unbiased reports. I guess I have to think differently now. This one was almost completely onesided and played up the emotional side. Except for a short GENERIC mention of Patents, it didn't cover any of the other sticking points. Instead it harped on the outcome.

I would have liked to see it address their major concern of the cheaper drugs being black marketed back in the originating country. While granted, I'm not a big fan of drug companies, but that seemed quite a valid concern, (among a few of the others). But alas, after a biased trashing like I just read, I guess they didn't feel it was necessary to make an unbiased report.

So much for the integrity of the BBC. Another pillar of virtue come crumbling down.

RAH
Old January 14, 2003, 13:44   #6
Jaakko
King

How much success would black-market drugs for diseases like AIDS or malaria have in the US? Aren't most expensive drugs paid for by insurance companies anyway?
Old January 14, 2003, 14:08   #7
Solly
Emperor

Local Time: 15:22
Looking for reasons?

- the cheap drugs would get exported back in richer nations, creating a large black market. Drugs being bought "cheap" in the receiving nation would lead to the price rising anyway, and falling in the donating nation.

- the incentive to produce drugs for deadly diseases is diminished, meaning we see less money put in to research on drugs. Has implications on the discovery of drugs for diseases in years to come.
Old January 14, 2003, 14:09   #8
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 22:22
As far as I can tell, all these other sticking points are also about money.
Old January 14, 2003, 14:10   #9
Solly
Emperor

Which is worthless, Urban Ranger?

The fact is that if governments force drug companies to give away cheaply drug treatments for which they have invested billions in research, we will see a lot less successful new drugs.
Old January 14, 2003, 14:14   #10
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
the incentive to produce drugs for deadly diseases is diminished, meaning we see less money put in to research on drugs. Has implications on the discovery of drugs for diseases in years to come.
BINGO!

Ignore patents and the next big disease doesn't have a cure because the pharmacutical companies don't want to spend over a billion dollars for something that will be taken away from them.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old January 14, 2003, 14:20   #11
Jaakko
King

Of course, patents aren't being ignored, rather the proposition was to give "general" licenses for manufacture in those countries that can't afford the regular rate license.
And this link suggests that the risk of research diminishing isn't that great.
Old January 14, 2003, 14:54   #12
uh Clem
King

Local Time: 08:22
Quote:
...the pharmacutical companies don't want to spend over a billion dollars for something that will be taken away from them.
...which is crapola.

MYTH: A typical new drug costs US$500 million

Quote:
Aside from relying on assumptions, the initial study wasn't representative of the 'average' drug, nor was it designed to be. The original study focused on drugs that were researched and developed exclusively by multinational pharmaceutical companies. Yet development of many drugs depends on major public involvement in both basic research and clinical trials.
I doubt they said much about the incredible sweetheart deals the pharma companies get on drugs developed at public expense, either.

The clincher: the data ...
Quote:
came from confidential industry sources in the 1980s and has not been available to other researchers.
In other words, the numbers are utterly worthless (at least from a truth perspective). As propaganda, they're great.
Old January 14, 2003, 14:59   #13
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 09:22
Most of the anti-retrovirals are already sold at 1/10 of the price in african and other countries because of price cutbacks by the manufacturers.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old January 14, 2003, 15:03   #14
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

I think, generally, there is even some point in not allowing too many drugs to be produced and sold cheap, not only because of the black market, but because it would hinder corporations in doing further expensive research on new medications if they lose their patent within seconds!!! Yet there definitely ARE cases, where such measures are necessary. Like in Africa, facing the disastrous HIV-epidemics needs cheap drugs, but other cases too.
The general agreement should have been a mix of cooperation from pharmazeutic corporations with first world governments to invest(!) into third world health programs. Nations concerned with a demographic desaster aren't likely to prosper, which means not only a narrow market but also misery and uneducation (which unevadably leads to extremism and violence)

Anyway, I doubt, that the agreement was so simple, everyone, also the corporations and governments in Europe, know that it's not that simple, I'm sure it was a compromise and the USA as usually only didn't sign it, because they are the corporations' whore.
Old January 14, 2003, 15:17   #15
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 14:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Money over lives. Yes, yes, what a country.
Aren't you in China?
Old January 14, 2003, 15:27   #16
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
the incentive to produce drugs for deadly diseases is diminished, meaning we see less money put in to research on drugs. Has implications on the discovery of drugs for diseases in years to come.
BINGO!

Ignore patents and the next big disease doesn't have a cure because the pharmacutical companies don't want to spend over a billion dollars for something that will be taken away from them.
Considering most drug research is carried out by universities with government funding, I'll take that risk.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 14, 2003, 15:34   #17
Jaakko
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DaShi

Aren't you in China?
I ain't Urban, but I'd really appreciate it I you explained how one's country of residence affects one's moral stances.
Old January 14, 2003, 15:35   #18
DaShi
Emperor

Sorry, not patient enough.
Old January 14, 2003, 15:37   #19
Jaakko
King

Is that so, you Japanese atrocity denier.
Old January 14, 2003, 15:38   #20
DaShi
Emperor

Blah!
Old January 14, 2003, 16:35   #21
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:22
Re: US blocks cheap drugs agreement
Quote:
Originally posted by Jaakko
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2596751.stm

Can anyone here offer an explanation for US' resistance, apart from them being the pharm. lobby's *****?
Because I can't honestly fathom any other reason for this than plain old greed.
Pharm research is directly driven by expectations of future profits. If you want to give all those drugs to Africans, you should pay the pharma companies for them. But don't expect companies to give stuff away.

Beleive me, every time somebody proposes price controls in the US, bitotech companies go uinder in the US. If you want to limit pharma profits, less money will be plowed into research. It is that simple. Of course if you are an idiot, you won't understand that. Just be a little baby than. Someone who thinks that the world owes them a living.
Old January 14, 2003, 16:43   #22
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Considering most drug research is carried out by universities with government funding, I'll take that risk.
Which also get a substantial amount of money from pharmacutical companies which are in partnerships with those universities.

How else do you think Johnson & Johnson and Merck get rights to drugs. That and the fact they spend about $1 billion per drug, success or failure.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old January 14, 2003, 16:46   #23
Jaakko
King

Why don't you go **** yourself GP. If you want to discuss things, lay off the infantile insults first.
Old January 14, 2003, 16:57   #24
Hueij
Emperor

Hey, it's easy. If they can't pay then let them die. Patents are holy, companies spent billions in developing a cure. They have every right to make a fair profit, so bad luck for anyone that can't pay for it...

They shouldn't have contracked HIV in the first place...
Old January 14, 2003, 17:00   #25
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Hey, it's easy. If they can't pay then let them die. Patents are holy, companies spent billions in developing a cure. They have every right to make a fair profit, so bad luck for anyone that can't pay for it...
Exactly .

What, you thought I was going to contradict you?

I'd rather save billions and billions over 100s of years than just save a billion at the present.
Old January 14, 2003, 18:01   #26
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
Which also get a substantial amount of money from pharmacutical companies which are in partnerships with those universities.

How else do you think Johnson & Johnson and Merck get rights to drugs. That and the fact they spend about $1 billion per drug, success or failure.
Universities don't do clinicals. They do basic research. Look at Europe with state-funded research. Do you think that is what NDA's? HA!

Take away the incentives and people won't invest in biotechs and such. I've seen it happen.
Old January 14, 2003, 18:02   #27
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Why don't you go **** yourself GP. If you want to discuss things, lay off the infantile insults first.
I've worked as an engineering and management consultant for this industry. You are? Let's see. A Cive player. Great knowledge base.
Old January 14, 2003, 18:05   #28
Jaakko
King

It was the insult that was the issue, not your comments, which I thought had merit.

You call me an idiot, a baby and a parasite in an off-handed way, out of the blue, and you think you're debating rationally?
Old January 14, 2003, 18:05   #29
Solly
Emperor

Which tech would you rather research in Civ? One that was immediately given to every other player for free, or one you could keep and utilise?
Old January 14, 2003, 18:15   #30
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
It was the insult that was the issue, not your comments, which I thought had merit.

You call me an idiot, a baby and a parasite in an off-handed way, out of the blue, and you think you're debating rationally?
The adhominem has a real power to it. Especially if delivered from a sufficiently haughty demeanor. Oh...for the old days when I used to torture Stew.