Old January 17, 2003, 13:16   #421
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by zulu9812

Actually, I was asking whether or not he believed America to be able to claim responsibilty for ultimate victory. I believe that belongs to the Soviet Union.
I don't believe it belongs to any one nation. Remove any of the three main Allies and you lose the war or (more likely) see a stalemate.
Old January 17, 2003, 13:30   #422
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 14:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Why is the world more today free, democratic and respectful of human rights than anytime in its history?
Let's take an example of how America made the world more free, democratic and respectful of human rights:

In 1953, there was a populist revolution to overthrow the king and he was replaced with a democratically-elected leader, popular and loved by the people. The CIA then instigated a succesful military coup to overthrow the democratic government and put the king back into power. In 1979, another populist revolution forced the king to flee the country and a certain Ayatollah Khomeini took power, but he hasn't given Iran democracy either, sadly. So, thanks to America, Iran went from a democratic country to a fundamental islamic, anti-american dictatorship. Well done there.

1953? That was ages ago, I hear you cry. Well, let's take a more up to date example of US meddling:

In the early 1990s, Afghanistan was ruled by a pro-soviet state. To get rid of this state, and purely to protect US interests, Britain and the US set about arming and training a fundamental isalmic group known as the Taliban who had agreed to fight Russia and force them out of the middle east. The Taliban's grab for power was succesful, largely thanks to Britain and America. So you'd think Osama (affiliated with the Taliban) would be greatful. Not so, since Saudi Arabia and George Bushi Snr. had prevented Bin Laden from taking out Saddam Hussein, even after American troops had trained Osama for the task. That's right folks, there are no terrorist links between Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein. In fact, Bin Laden hates Saddam. Bin Laden wants Iraq to be an extremeist islamic state, much like Afghanistan. Incidentally, the members of the ruling party before the Taliban (I forget their name), whom America had helped to turf out of power then went on to form the Northern Alliance, whom America just helped back into power. Well done again.
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old January 17, 2003, 13:30   #423
Ned
King

Local Time: 06:24
Quote:

Actually, I was asking whether or not he believed America to be able to claim responsibilty for ultimate victory. I believe that belongs to the Soviet Union.

As for how 'how was UN military intervention in Kosovo justified?', if you think a leader murdering his own people in the name of ethnic cleansing isn't justification enough, I guess that shows the difference between Americans and Europeans. And just in case you were thinking of using my argument to sa 'why then shouldn't we attack Sadam Hussein?', he paid the price 12 years ago and continues to pay it.
The UN did not intervene in Kosovo. NATO did. The US lead NATO, that is. The UN refused to intervene to prevent ethnic cleansing.

So much for the UN.
Old January 17, 2003, 13:34   #424
zulu9812
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
The UN did not intervene in Kosovo. NATO did. The US lead NATO, that is. The UN refused to intervene to prevent ethnic cleansing.
So what? How does that alter the fact that intervention was justified? Or were you picking on a mild inaccuracy because you didn't want to admit that my point was valid and correct?
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old January 17, 2003, 14:32   #425
DuncanK
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin

I don't believe it belongs to any one nation. Remove any of the three main Allies and you lose the war or (more likely) see a stalemate.
It is debatable as to whether Russia would have taken all of European Continent if the Invasion of Normandy would not have taken place. No one can saw now. The Invasion was timed perfectly (well maybe a little late), as to grab a great deal of land before the Russians could (well at least save Western Europe).
Old January 17, 2003, 14:38   #426
DuncanK
Warlord

Quote:

That's right folks, there are no terrorist links between Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein. In fact, Bin Laden hates Saddam. Bin Laden wants Iraq to be an extremeist islamic state, much like Afghanistan. Incidentally, the members of the ruling party before the Taliban (I forget their name), whom America had helped to turf out of power then went on to form the Northern Alliance, whom America just helped back into power. Well done again.
When things get tough and you have a common enemy with someone you buddy up with them even if you hate their guts. Look at the Soviets and America in WWII.
Old January 17, 2003, 14:46   #427
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:24
Quote:

In the early 1990s, Afghanistan was ruled by a pro-soviet state. To get rid of this state, and purely to protect US interests, Britain and the US set about arming and training a fundamental isalmic group known as the Taliban who had agreed to fight Russia and force them out of the middle east. The Taliban's grab for power was succesful, largely thanks to Britain and America. So you'd think Osama (affiliated with the Taliban) would be greatful. Not so, since Saudi Arabia and George Bushi Snr. had prevented Bin Laden from taking out Saddam Hussein, even after American troops had trained Osama for the task. That's right folks, there are no terrorist links between Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein. In fact, Bin Laden hates Saddam. Bin Laden wants Iraq to be an extremeist islamic state, much like Afghanistan. Incidentally, the members of the ruling party before the Taliban (I forget their name), whom America had helped to turf out of power then went on to form the Northern Alliance, whom America just helped back into power. Well done again.
REvisionist daydreams. We supported a different group during the 1980's. Not the Taliban. We did welcome the Taliban rise to power, because at least there was a centralized government. (Before there was just warlordism.) But we did not create it. You are just making stuff up dude.
Old January 17, 2003, 14:47   #428
Dauphin
Deity

Quote:
When things get tough and you have a common enemy with someone you buddy up with them even if you hate their guts. Look at the Soviets and America in WWII
What about the intervention in Guatemala? That wasn't purely self-serving?
Old January 17, 2003, 14:48   #429
DuncanK
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by King of Rasslin
No, its the evolution of language. Your is much harder to say than ur. Banana is much harder to say than nanner. Hood is much simpler than neighborhood. You will come off as more progressive if you speak simply. Only slow, dumb, old fashioned people bother to use proper language and punctuation.
and if I remember right, wasn't this accelerated in California with the big migration there?
Old January 17, 2003, 14:49   #430
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 16:24
I know the big difference between Americans and Non Americans ! (that is the topic right ? )
Non Americans bash the US and tire over time
Americans wave their flag and are tireless

(just to say I'm beginning to be bored by this thread, which raises an interesting topic, but gets completely wasted by anti/pro America speeches)
Old January 17, 2003, 14:57   #431
DuncanK
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
I know the big difference between Americans and Non Americans ! (that is the topic right ? )

(just to say I'm beginning to be bored by this thread, which raises an interesting topic, but gets completely wasted by anti/pro America speeches)
There have been many generalizations made here and this is another one. Yes, there are a lot of those speeches, but the thread is not just those speeches.
Old January 17, 2003, 15:04   #432
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor

USA!
Old January 17, 2003, 15:05   #433
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
When things get tough and you have a common enemy with someone you buddy up with them even if you hate their guts. Look at the Soviets and America in WWII
What about the intervention in Guatemala? That wasn't purely self-serving?
Which one? In the 30's?
Old January 17, 2003, 15:06   #434
Ozz
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Why is the world more today free, democratic and respectful of human rights than anytime in its history?
Cause the British spread the tenets of their civilization
over 1/4 of the world, or is American responsable for
Democracy in India, Kenya etc? It would be true to say
America is responsible for the continuing Democracy in
some areas of the world, but the seed was planted by
the UK
Old January 17, 2003, 15:26   #435
Dauphin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GP

Which one? In the 30's?
The 1950s I think, involving United Fruit asking the CIA to overthrow the democratically elected government.
Old January 17, 2003, 15:36   #436
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 09:24
Quote:
Actually, I was asking whether or not he believed America to be able to claim responsibilty for ultimate victory.
That's your fault for not being clear in your postings and Eurocentric to boot.

Quote:
if you think a leader murdering his own people in the name of ethnic cleansing isn't justification enough,
No, I don't see that as a valid reason to violate your entirely reasonable prohibition against pointless foreign intervention into internal conflicts. I wasn't to enthused about sending troops to Somalia either.

Quote:
And just in case you were thinking of using my argument to sa
I would appreciate you avoiding putting words in other people's mouths. It only serves to make you look asinine.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old January 17, 2003, 15:46   #437
Ozz
Chieftain

Quote:

The 1950s I think, involving United Fruit asking the CIA to overthrow the democratically elected government.
And assassinate the President, which by US law is illegal, (i think murder is too)
Old January 17, 2003, 15:47   #438
Ned
King

Quote:

So what? How does that alter the fact that intervention was justified? Or were you picking on a mild inaccuracy because you didn't want to admit that my point was valid and correct?
Zulu, I must have forgotten what your point was; however, the U.S. and the Europeans were both involved in Kosovo. You agree that the Kosovo was justified. Therefore the U.S., you will have to admit, does act to increase justice in the world.
Old January 17, 2003, 15:49   #439
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 09:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Ozz
And assassinate the President, which by US law is illegal,
It wasn't illegal at the time.
Old January 17, 2003, 16:05   #440
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozz

Cause the British spread the tenets of their civilization
over 1/4 of the world, or is American responsable for
Democracy in India, Kenya etc? It would be true to say
America is responsible for the continuing Democracy in
some areas of the world, but the seed was planted by
the UK
I agree. America is part of the British civilization in most respects. We too are spreading British civilization to the extent we can.
Old January 17, 2003, 16:22   #441
Ned
King

I believe we have historically intervened in Carribean and Central American chaos in order primarily to protect American lives and property. Our recent intervention in Haiti was to restore some semblence of law and order.

As to overthrowing democracies such as in Iran in 1953, this was all part of the cold war. We viewed the struggle against communism as a struggle for democracy and human rights precisely because of what we saw in the USSR and China. So-called democratic regimes had voted in communists in Europe and elsewhere after WWII. The problem was, these new communist governments promptly became part of the USSR's communist empire and thus were enemies of the United States, NATO and the West.

You simply cannot divorce events in Iran from the cold war. That is taking it out of context.

Since the fall of the USSR, we are much more tolerant of elected communist governments. Witness the current struggle in Venezuela. Despited the chaos, we have stayed out of it.
Old January 17, 2003, 16:32   #442
Ozz
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
It wasn't illegal at the time.
Murder or Assassination of a foreign head of state

Which was legal?
Old January 17, 2003, 16:51   #443
Japher
Emperor

I started reading this thread and got dizzy.

Then I just skipped to the last page... oh my god this is long!!!

Why are American so different from the rest of the west?

Simple... Money.

Americans have accepted the fact that money does in fact make the world go round. While this is a rather shallow look at it, it is, in my opinion, true.

Since we accept that fact, our society, economies, and even politics have moved to reflect that ideology.

The rest of the Western world has not accepted the fact that money is the source of all power (good and evil) because they do not want to face the ugliness of the truth. They therefore wallow in their patheticness of morals and ethics... ideals that have nothing to do with politics.

You may think I am being sarcastic, but I am not.

When the rest of the world declines (and they have) the offer to become more like Americans then they have elected to become, or stay, more ethical and more poverish. Oh, well... your loss.

Us Americans do infiltrated your no's and no thanks through our American propeganda disguised as movies, (red, white and) blue jeans, pepsi (red, white and blue), and McDonalds (which is actually communist, but anyway)...

I think that America is so diveresed and so driven by money, free trade, and humanitarian issues that the rest of the world becomes blinded to the actuall ways that make us the same as every other country. Such oversights lead to thread like this, and to the bettering of America and American culture becoming dominant the world over...

(I must say that while I love American Football, I like Rugby and Australian Rules Football even more.)
Old January 17, 2003, 17:00   #444
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

USA!
Old January 17, 2003, 17:15   #445
Japher
Emperor

I started reading this thread and got dizzy.

Then I just skipped to the last page... oh my god this is long!!!

Why are American so different from the rest of the west?

Simple... Money.

Americans have accepted the fact that money does in fact make the world go round. While this is a rather shallow look at it, it is, in my opinion, true.

Since we accept that fact, our society, economies, and even politics have moved to reflect that ideology.

The rest of the Western world has not accepted the fact that money is the source of all power (good and evil) because they do not want to face the ugliness of the truth. They therefore wallow in their patheticness of morals and ethics... ideals that have nothing to do with politics.

You may think I am being sarcastic, but I am not.

When the rest of the world declines (and they have) the offer to become more like Americans then they have elected to become, or stay, more ethical and more poverish. Oh, well... your loss.

Us Americans do infiltrated your no's and no thanks through our American propeganda disguised as movies, (red, white and) blue jeans, pepsi (red, white and blue), and McDonalds (which is actually communist, but anyway)...

I think that America is so diveresed and so driven by money, free trade, and humanitarian issues that the rest of the world becomes blinded to the actuall ways that make us the same as every other country. Such oversights lead to thread like this, and to the bettering of America and American culture becoming dominant the world over...

(I must say that while I love American Football, I like Rugby and Australian Rules Football even more.)
Old January 17, 2003, 17:17   #446
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

USA!
Old January 17, 2003, 17:19   #447
Dauphin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
So-called democratic regimes had voted in communists in Europe and elsewhere after WWII.
Which European countries elected Communists in free democratic elections?
Old January 17, 2003, 18:14   #448
Ned
King

Poland, and IIRC, Czechoslovakia and Hungary.

"Free" of course is your word, not mine.
Old January 17, 2003, 18:50   #449
Myrddin
Warlord

Why are Americans so different - space

In Europe anywhere you go has clear evidence of 10,000 years of setttlement

In America there is not the obvious burden of history and you have the freedom to go where and do what you want
Old January 17, 2003, 18:53   #450
Dauphin
Deity

If democratic elections are not free then they are by definition not democratic.