Old January 6, 2001, 21:20   #1
[LordLMP]

Anyway to encourage AI into Space?
I am trying to get a scenerio going to have AI Factions to lauch satellites and have some space competition, which i never had before... i never was able really to finish a game for that matter, always goes Illegal ops on me eventually. I am lucky to even reach Orbital Space Flight sometimes....

I seriously hate that illegal late in the game and how long it takes to get through turns later in a game. its annoying. I have a P3 500 with 128 ram, dunno why it slows down so much....... because AI have to many units?

SO currently, made a Scenerio with lots of water, place each AI in different islands...except pirates.
Thats should limit them from building large bloody armies for slowing game down :P

-LordlMP

Old January 6, 2001, 21:52   #2
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 21:59
Local Date: October 30, 2010
First things first. The game crashes every time you play!? There are workarounds on the interceptor bug and the edge of the earth bug, worst case you can just not build interceptors and stay out of the top and bottom of the map.

If it is taking forever and crashing later in the game, is it because you are playing on huge worlds? I have no problem on standard worldson a P2 400. Would playing on smaller maps help?

On the issue of the AI using orbitals it happens now and then to me. A bit of it is luck, but it seems to happen far more often when you are at technical parity or worse with the AI late in the game.
Old January 6, 2001, 21:55   #3
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 21:59
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Sorry - wasn't reading as closely as I should have. When you said "scenario" I assume you meant using the Scenario Editor. There was a post not a week or two on exactly the same thing. I'll try to bump it for you.
Old January 7, 2001, 02:11   #4
Misotu
Emperor

Local Time: 05:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Lord LMP ... I have a save game sent to me by another player on the board (apologies, I don't remember his name). He had got into an orbital war situation with the Hive, and had a game going where only conquer victory was acceptable.

It's actually quite a neat little orbital war ... if you are interested, email me at misotu@hotmail.com and I'll send you the save file ...
Old January 7, 2001, 15:54   #5
[LordLMP]

Yes, the INterceptor bug i get sometimes, there is also the bug when you attack a base with a Penetrator or bug when the base completed something or whatever or the bug with GoTo thing, which i used a lot and one or two others. all those bugs cause illegal ops on me.

there is other bugs like when the AI is calling you, shows message that your receiving transmission from lets say Sandiego. i say okay, message pops up again, ok and repeats a few times until it stops and continues with the game and does not go to Diplomacy mode. There is ways to get around them, but usually involves screwing up your faction or give out some bases or disband tons of units or whatever. Can also use the editor, but don't want Cheating on my score either.
I occasionbaly completly reinstall the game from scratch, like uninstall completly and reinstall. That helps prevent bugs, but after awhile, bugs start coming again. Its annoying and they should make another patch to take care of them :P
I hate illegal ops.

Yes, Huge map. I like playing Huge map don't like smaller map, no fun. Only slows down really later in the game, when factions are bigger and they all have huge armies practicly. The AI is stupid, builds a huge army and only sends occasional transports load of troops, which i usual sink before they get to shore.
AI needs more strategy sense and be able to adapt to situations more better, build different types of units for different circumstances.

I have one situation game i was about to get into orbital war with different factions, since all the big factions built some space stuff, mainly Sky Hydroponics... but game way too slow by then and also started getting illegal ops. annoying.
hate repeating.

-LordLMP

Old January 8, 2001, 06:27   #6
Skanderbeg
Warlord

Local Time: 04:59
My experience is that the AI don't likes it to go up to sky when it is full of Your satellites. So, the best way to get the AI into space is waiting with launching your first satellite until the AI has done it.
And let Domai be played by the AI. With his enourmos production, he is the most space-loving AI-faction.
[This message has been edited by Skanderbeg (edited January 08, 2001).]
Old January 8, 2001, 07:06   #7
Aredhran
Prince

Local Time: 05:59
quote:

Originally posted by [LordLMP] on 01-06-2001 08:20 PM
Thats should limit them from building large bloody armies for slowing game down :P

Actually, it won't...