Old January 15, 2003, 06:30   #1
porlcass
Settler

Local Time: 14:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Errors with Med Mod II
Hi All,

I have just started looking into the mods you folks have made, and the one that interests me most is Med Mod II. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it running on my Windows ME machine. I have loaded the 1.11 patch, changed SLICDebug to No and used ModSwapper to launch it, but I keep getting errors like:
Slic Error
In object GrantEliteUnit, function _PlayerCivilization. Wrong type of argument

and:
Slic Error
In object AnnoucnePopBoom, function _HasAdvance. Wrong type of argument

I used the search function and I found examples where people had this error putting an array directly into a function call, not into a variable then passing the variable to the function, but looking at the slic code, this does not seem to be the case.

Any Clues?
Old January 15, 2003, 08:00   #2
porlcass
Settler

OK, OK,

So this time I *really* changed DebugSLIC=No and things actually started working...I swear I dun before it yer honor...

Anyway, the next problem is that the green arrow to move units no longer works. I can right click\move them, but that is going to get old really quick...
Old January 15, 2003, 10:24   #3
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 15:27
It could be you need to set userprofile.txt to write-protect sometimes, to stop the game changing it back.

Click on the unit, and drag the green bar to the location you want.

Alternatively (and I don't know how stable or otherwise this is), you can go into userprofile.txt again, and change CTP2Mode=Yes to CTP2Mode=No, and use the CtP1 method, with two clicks.
Old January 15, 2003, 13:01   #4
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 15:27
abit OT but im 99% sure that making all the options (neccessary) in userprofile.txt and many others if neccessary like color00.txt selectable into a small program that starts up before CtP2 does maybe even as part of Modswapper

However im not capable of making such a program, but just incase no one had thought of it already

-James
http://www.tiberiumsun.com
Old January 15, 2003, 13:34   #5
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:27
Yes, I worked on that for my HotW mod already (one that would actually replace modswapper). It's on hold now, probably for a long time to come (maybe forever)...
Old January 16, 2003, 04:36   #6
Devil of Truth
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
It's on hold now, probably for a long time to come (maybe forever)...
Old January 16, 2003, 04:47   #7
Devil of Truth
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by porlcass
Anyway, the next problem is that the green arrow to move units no longer works. I can right click\move them, but that is going to get old really quick...
Trust me, it gets old very, very, very quickly.

I’ve quickly slapped together a remedy, but I haven’t had time to test it. If, by some unknown quirk, it causes any problems with your game, or sets off a chain of events that will eventually lead to the entire universe collapsing on itself - I’m sorry.

This is what you do:
1. Backup the files you’ll be replacing.
2. No really. Back 'em up.
3. Copy the "MM2_Orders.txt" file to "...\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\"
4. Copy the "MM2_Goals.txt" and "MM2_Strategies.txt" files to "...\ctp2_data\default\aidata\"
5. Bob's your uncle.

Have fun. Let me know if it works.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip mm2.zip (14.6 KB, 2 views)
Old January 16, 2003, 17:28   #8
stankarp
staff
Age of Nations Team

I have a problem with Med Mod as well

I have Cradle, versions 1.32 to 1.33a in modswapper as well as two Med Mod versions. I can play Cradle no worries except from the usual occasional problem (crashes when saving or ending the turn later in the game).

However, I have never been able play either Med Mods. Everytime I launch, I get error messages and the game shuts down due to an illegal operation. I downloaded everything twice and it still happens.

My question is, is Cradle compatible with Med Mod, ie, is there something in Cradle that might interfere with Med Mod?
Old January 16, 2003, 18:45   #9
Engineer_J
Settler

Well from what I understand all the mods are made to work with each other. A lot of effort went to that effect. Are you using modswapper I assume. The only other thing I can think of is the last time I had to download Med Mod, one of the files extracted to the wrong directory, so when I thought it was going to the ctp_data or other directory, it was only going to the main folder. I would check that first, if not that I don't know.
Old January 16, 2003, 18:55   #10
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

What kind of errors exactly do you get?
Old January 16, 2003, 19:06   #11
stankarp
staff
Age of Nations Team

The errors have varied. Firstly i was getting a "cant find " something in the tech tree.

After I downloaded everything again, the error is now after I start a game. Firstly, as it loads I get an error "cant find Upp178 Tgl" . When I click OK it reverts to desktop with the CTP2 showing on the bottom tool bar of the screen. Press that and CTP2 comes back up again and I can continue. As soon as I build my first city however, I get a distorted city build screen overlayed with part of the city manager screen. The cursor moves but I cant exit the screen, the game locks up.

I then have to Ctrl/alt/del to exit and I am back to just desktop.

I will read the install files readme again and make sure that its going into the correct directory.

Any other ideas?
Old January 28, 2003, 06:03   #12
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 08:27
StanKarp, remember that you need to load the original game's files back in with modswapper before you load up another mod, IIRC.
If you continue to get multiple errors, then most likely you did not have the "use folder names" option checked when you unzipped the mod, and it dumped everything into one folder. The "names" option only appears when using the Classic interface of the new version of Winzip.
You can also check the folder you unzipped the mod into to see if it dumped all the hundreds of files in there.
Old January 28, 2003, 09:49   #13
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by WesW
StanKarp, remember that you need to load the original game's files back in with modswapper before you load up another mod, IIRC.
Nah, that was only with the older version of ModSwapper (and/or ModPicker), that problem was solved a long time ago.

Stankarp,
If the files are all in the correct folder (which I suspect they are), it would probably be best to completely deinstall and reinstall CtP2. This has been known to fix a lot of problems with installing mods...
Old January 29, 2003, 04:47   #14
stankarp
staff
Age of Nations Team

I am beginning to think that some of the files are not unsipping into the correct folders. I have had a look and dont seem to be able to find a lot of the med mod files in any ctp2 folder.

I have a old version of winzip which appears to be unzipping them into the main ctp2 folder but, unlike cradle for example, I cant find a lot of the medmod files.

I'll try to get a later version of winzip and see if that helps as there is no "use folder names option" in mine as far as i can see.

When I finish my current Cradle epic, I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling and unzip only med mod and see what happens.
Old January 29, 2003, 11:53   #15
Engineer_J
Settler

Quote:
I am beginning to think that some of the files are not unsipping into the correct folders. I have had a look and dont seem to be able to find a lot of the med mod files in any ctp2 folder.
That's what I said. Guarantee that is the problem
Old January 29, 2003, 20:03   #16
stankarp
staff
Age of Nations Team

I found a lot of Med mod files in the Scenario folder in a folder entitled MedPack4. In that there is a Med readmes folder which contains 3 unzipped folders for AI data. Does this sound right?

Engineer_ can you tell me how you checked that unzipped files were going in the right folder?
Old January 30, 2003, 02:31   #17
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

ROTFL....
Stan, you downloaded the Med Pack One for Ctp 1 !
That's why things don't look right. (Btw, you're not the first one to make that mistake.)
Old January 30, 2003, 05:02   #18
stankarp
staff
Age of Nations Team

Wes, could you please identify the files for ctp2 as opposed to ctp1. Thanx.
Old January 30, 2003, 14:50   #19
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Stankarp he has!
One lot(most of them) are under a 'Call To Power II' title, and at the bottom of the site are some more under a 'Call To Power I' title...............
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old January 30, 2003, 17:10   #20
Engineer_J
Settler

I'm not at home so I don't know the exact directories, but the way I extract files is to extract to the C:/program files/activision/call to power 2 folder. There are like 4 files to Med Mod II I believe. Will if you just extract it to itself in the download directory three of the four would start with ctp2data or something like that and the other one of the four started with Med Mod II directory, which is not in the directory structure of CTP2 so those files were not overwritten or used in the mod. I can't remember which one it was, but it was just one of the four I believe.
Old February 5, 2003, 01:52   #21
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Well, all the Ctp stuff is on my old computer, which is in another room and shut down, so I may be wrong too, but I don't think the mod would load if one of the parts was not installing correctly. Note that a Med readmes folder is created by the text portion of the mod, and contains all the readmes and the spreadsheet.
Old March 10, 2003, 20:10   #22
stankarp
staff
Age of Nations Team

I may have found the pproblem i am having with Med Mod.

I tried downloading a second time all the med mod files after deleting my entire CTP2 folder, re-installing, putting modswapper and activision patch back and only loading the med mod files that were downloaded for the second time.

The main error I was getting was when I built my first city. I got a TGA load error, cant find UPUP something, then up came a distorted city manager screen and the game locked.

Since then I reinstalled cradle, and played for a while, then started experimenting with graphics (TGA files). When I saved the PaintShop Pro files, they initially saved as jpeg images, not TGA, even though i renamed them UPUP.......TGA. When I started the game and tried to access the unit manager or great library for that unit, I got a cant find UPUP error for that number. and, then got the SAME distorted city manager screen that locks the game.

Since then I have worked out how to save the new graphic fils as TGA, 16 bit, uncompressed and the new image appears in the library, army and unit manager without errors.

I think that some UPUP files in the medmod download must have become corrupted and I will do some checking to see if I can find the cause by inserting new UPUP fiules for the missing ones.
Old March 11, 2003, 21:50   #23
stankarp
staff
Age of Nations Team

I decided to delete my CTP2 game and start again with Medmod. This was because I had a heap of mods in the folder including LoTR, Cradle, apol pack etc.

Installed CTP2. and 1.1 patch. Then checked Wes' MedMod site and extracted the following 6 files, Pictures zip, sounds zip, sprites 1 zip, sprites 2 zip, videos zip, 2.2_beta_texts.zip which are listed for ctp2 on that site. Installed modswapper.

Game crashed at start due to large number of slic errors.

Checked all my old download files and found FOUR MORE files with content or names that sounded like they belonged to medmod. These files were 1_1 texts zip, Medmod_4 Optics zip, Medmod_4 onsv.zip, and Medmod_sprites and sounds zip. I extracted these to my CTP2 folder. Note these files were not listed on Wes' web site.

Game now started, after a DB error (Movie_wonder, Medieval Pac II-not found in wondermovie database), clicked OK and game started. Built my first city and game grashed after TGA load error, cant find UPUP158L. I went back into the CTP directory and looked in default\graphics\pictures and there were only a few TGA files there. However, sitting in the CTP directory was a folder called Med mod II Pics. Inside it was a pictures folder with a large number of TGA files including UPUP158L. I copied all these pictures into the CTP 2 data\default\graphics\pictures folder.

Game now starts and runs, however still with the DB error referred to above. Have played about 100 turns with no problems, built 5 wonders, explored etc.

Seems that the Web site at the moment is missing some zip files.
Old March 13, 2003, 11:51   #24
Locutus
Deity

The MedMod_4*.zip files are definitely files for CtP1, so they can't be the problem. In fact, they are more likely to cause problems than to solve them. I suspect the other files you mentioned are old versions as well. In the pictures.zip file on Wes's website there *is* a UPUP158L file, as well as in the files in the Apolyton Directory. So if your setup is missing these files, something went wrong in either downloading or extracting the files. Note that pictures.zip on Wes's website by default extracts to the wrong folder (Med mod II Pics\ctp2_data\default\[...] rather than ctp2_data\default\[...]), so I suspect this causing your problems. The files in the Apolyton Directory should not have this problem.

The SLIC errors you got were most likely caused by either an incorrect setting for DebugSlic (which should be set to No (in userprofile.txt)) or by a misinstalled patch. If you still have such errors, post the exact errors here (one or two will suffice if there are many) and I can probably explain what's going on.

I think the intro movie bug is explained in one of the readmes. I had the same thing myself a long time ago (though I don't remember the details) but it was easy to solve with the info from the readmes. I believe (though I'm not 100% certain here) that the version of the mod that can be found in the Apolyton Directory does not have this problem, I tested that fairly thoroughly IIRC (the Directory has the exact same mod BTW, just distributed over 2 files rather than 6ish).
Old March 13, 2003, 17:15   #25
stankarp
staff
Age of Nations Team

Thanks Locutus

Could be that I only needed to move the pictures to the correct file. The game is playing now only with the DB error which does not stop the game. I'll look through the readmes to see if I can find the suggested fix.