Old January 15, 2003, 12:45   #1
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 09:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
HOI is Editor's Choice in PC Gamer
Just reading my PC gamer mag last night and the review for HOI received a 90%.

Since I have been following this game for quite some time, I really cannot believe that PCG gave them such a high score.

Admittedly, I do not have the game. But why are some folks saying that the AI is weak, and yet he (PCG) says it is way too strong?

He mentions bugs, but the Paradox website mentions far more. Of which the fleet bugs bother me the most.

Also, I have heard that the manual is just useless.

Okay, so my question is to those who have this. Is it so deep that the problem so not surface until you've played it a a few times...I'm just having trouble understanding the PGM score with all the bad things that I've heard about the game.

R:PM
Old January 15, 2003, 15:47   #2
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:28
Game reviews tend to be superficial. Unless the reviewer has played it a lot they won't pick up bugs or the weakness of the AI unless they are obvious.
Old January 15, 2003, 17:19   #3
Garth Vader
King

Local Time: 08:28
Despite the annoying bugs, and flaws in basic design, and poor AI play I have still played a lot, and enjoyed it, and so would have given the game a good rating.
Old January 15, 2003, 17:47   #4
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 07:28
It's a great game so it's no wonder it's an editor's choice. Plus MP mod makes the poor AI less relavent.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Oerdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2003, 18:29   #5
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Okay. since Paradox games never seem to find the bargain bin, is it worth the purchase price?
Old January 16, 2003, 18:51   #6
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 07:28
If you like military stategy games then yes it is worth it. The game has less replay value then say EU2 or the Civ series but it is entertaining and Paradox is still supporting it with period patches. There's also a lively MP community.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Oerdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2003, 00:50   #7
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

It is a fun game. apparently a patch will come out in early february, so I might suggest waiting until then, as there are several annoying bugs that need to be patched.

My least favorite bug: the research bug. if you shoot down the computers line, you get, maybe 5 techs that lower the cost and time of research. Very helpful, I think maybe adds up to a 25% cut in prices or maybemore. I always try to get those as soon as possible, to aid down other paths. Well, for some reason, the game doesn't save the research modifiers, so you have to play it ironman or download a utility to fix the errors. Sucks, on the other hand, it gives me the excuse for playing for 10 hours straight or something

But, I love the game, the annoyances for the most part will get ironed out soon, hopefully. I hope they fix the way navies operate, for now I just chase ships all over the map, quite irritating.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2003, 03:58   #8
The Pioneer
Prince

I like the game, I haven't played much since I am waiting for the patch. It reminds me of Axis & Allies games that I played way back but with more depth.

So long...

PS: The manual s*cks big time
The Pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2003, 09:54   #9
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 16:28
I think the manual is okay. Not as a guide to the game(which, I know is the main point), but the info is interesting nevertheless. The short timeline for example.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2003, 10:00   #10
Grumbold
Emperor

Black and White got a better score and I'd rate it as a far worse game. Personal preference makes a lot of difference. I liked HoI enough to play it for 100+ hours before filing it away until the 1.3 patch. Its going to get played a lot more once things are patched more. There are enough difficulty settings, countries to play and potential exploits to make it at the same time too easy and quite hard to play
Old January 17, 2003, 10:35   #11
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Hmm... interesting comments.

I think I'll wait for a bit until an acceptable patch is on the table.

I personally do not have a wife that will let me play a game for 10 hours straight. I usually get serious grief after 5-6.

Has anyone tried Bolts mod, and what do you think of it?
Old January 17, 2003, 10:40   #12
Nikolai
Deity

Bolt is G-R-E-A-T! I've not tried Trip's mod, so I can't say which of them's the best, but Bolt's mod is very good. Much better than the original GC!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Old January 17, 2003, 11:14   #13
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Bolts mod is a lot of fun, quite an improvement over the game. Its quite cool that hhis and trips changes, at least some of them are making it into the 1.03 patch
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2003, 15:07   #14
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Paradox's forums are nightmare. Any insight into when 1.03 is going to be released?
Old January 17, 2003, 19:05   #15
Nikolai
Deity

It will be released when it's ready. Do you want the patch to be good and to fix as much of the bugs as possible, or do you want it now, and byggy?
I know this "Paradoxian" answer isn't very appreciated, but it's true!

And why are the forums a "nightmare"? Because of the lack of info relating the patches? It's IMHO a very good site, where you get polite answers to almost everything(even if it's asked 100 times:P).
Old January 17, 2003, 19:31   #16
Nikolai
Deity

Latest news from Paradox forums, said by Johan, the lead programmer:

Quote:
"We're two programmers, and we're both busy coding and fixing bugs, so we usually don't write daily status reports in the public forums.

I've contacted two of the biggest ai-mod-makers, Bolt and Trip for their opinions. Bolt have provided me with alot of his analysis which have been helpful, and his ai-files have been looked at deeply for 1.03.
Trip volunteered to join the beta program, and is busy testing and helping with all the new ai improvements.

I want 1.03 to be released as soon as possible, but I also want to try to adress all the reported bugs. As I see it, early February looks like a likely date."
Old January 20, 2003, 04:27   #17
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 22:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolai
It will be released when it's ready. Do you want the patch to be good and to fix as much of the bugs as possible, or do you want it now, and byggy?
Actually, IMO, they seem to do both. Release a patch as soon as they've got enough fixed to warrant it and then get started on the next one, not even necessarily in that order. Hence the 10 or so patches for the original EU within the space of a year. Very few other companies have done the same thing.
The net effect being that some bugs are fixed more quickly (albeit at a slightly greater expense in the programmers time) and players get more out of it more quickly.
Thats one thing I rather like about Paradox, and led to my picking HoI up as soon as I could, bugs and all, secure in the knowledge that they were committed to fixing them.
ravagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2003, 05:13   #18
The Pioneer
Prince

I like HoI a lot but my problem is that I cannot install patch 1.02 no matter what I've tried. So I will wait for the next patch that will come out in February (hopefully I'll be able to install that one) before I can really get into it!

So long...
Old January 20, 2003, 07:01   #19
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 10:28
First time someone's ever mentioned me over here in reference to my work with HOI over at Paradox.

I am one of the beta-testers working officially on improving the AI for 1.03, so you'll see a vastly improved version of my AI in the next patch. When 1.03 is released (as was mentioned, probably early February), I believe people will find it to be much more polished and challenging than previous versions... this of course will also be true with 1.04, and 1.05 and any other patches that may be possible. I've put a lot into this game because I believe it's a great game, and one that can only get better with time.

On another topic, Pioneer, have you tried posting in the Paradox support forum? There's lots of guys there that know their stuff, and if you haven't already you might want to run this by them...
Jon Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2003, 09:18   #20
The Pioneer
Prince

I was wondering if it was the same Trip we all have come to know!

I truly hope so because the idea is awesome and the few things that I have seen in the game make it really interesting!

No, I haven't done that but I guess I will!

So long...
Old January 20, 2003, 12:39   #21
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolai

And why are the forums a "nightmare"? Because of the lack of info relating the patches? It's IMHO a very good site, where you get polite answers to almost everything(even if it's asked 100 times:P).
Well, yes I do want as many bugs fixed as possible.

The forums are a nightmare cuz so many people are posting spam that you cannot find the nuggets that you need to determine what is going on.

I've mainly only read Bolt's threads...but basicaly too much info and not enough time.
Old January 20, 2003, 14:14   #22
Grumbold
Emperor

The search mode is pretty good, but if you can't find what you need then ask again. Not many will take exception to your question and any that do so vehemently will be squashed by the mods. They want your kind, they don't want the ranters
Old January 20, 2003, 20:26   #23
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 10:28
Quote:
Originally posted by The Pioneer
I was wondering if it was the same Trip we all have come to know!

I truly hope so because the idea is awesome and the few things that I have seen in the game make it really interesting!

No, I haven't done that but I guess I will!

So long...
Yep, that's me.

I frequent quite a few forums, so people see me here and there from time to time.

Don't worry about the game too much... it will be improved a great deal as time passes, and as long as you love it now, it's only going to get better.

Yes, the Support Forum is a great place... don't go there much myself, but I guess that's because I have good luck I suppose.

BTW, thanks for voting for me for the Apolyton Hall of Fame, I appreciate it.
Jon Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2003, 04:18   #24
The Pioneer
Prince

You got way too much time in your hands , taking part and frequenting so many forums and games.

No problem!

So long...