Old January 15, 2003, 13:56   #1
Jesp
Settler

Local Time: 14:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Drowning in luxury resources
I played MANY games of CIV I+II+III+PTW but I have never ever seen something like this before.

In my current game I am situated on a relatively small island on a huge map. I as the Chinese share the island with Japan, Korea and the Mongols. Nothing strange about that except:

WE ARE DROWNING IN RESOURCES!!!

This is a computer generated map of course. There is also around 15 squares with the beaver luxury resource on the island. And that is it. Plenty of stuff to trade with

I have never seen more than 3 or 4 luxuries clustered like this before.

It this because the game places one luxury of each type per civ in the game? Or can anyone explain this.
Old January 15, 2003, 14:03   #2
Fried-Psitalon
Civilization IV: MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC4DG Sarantium
Official Civilization IV Strategy Guide Co-Author

Local Time: 09:28
I've noticed this occurring a lot more recently, it seems like, and often in MP games. I have no idea why it occurs, but it can make for some lucrative city squares, particularly when it's gems that are spewed everywhere.

I've also had grape-spews make normally slow-growing areas for cities into quite amazing ones.

Old January 16, 2003, 00:28   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The number of luxury squares is based on the number of civs in the game. By clustering them, it encourages trading them with others (who have a similar cluster of some other luxury).

I haven't seen that many before though.
Old January 16, 2003, 10:37   #4
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 15:28
I can't see it?
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old January 17, 2003, 11:21   #5
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 16:28
I can't see it either.
Old January 17, 2003, 11:38   #6
Patroklos
Emperor

I see alot of these luxury clusters as well, and I like everyone else stare with my eyes twinkling at the thought of the perfect city site. I think it is a good idea to have luxuries clustered at specific locations, as it makes the trading of goods a requirement as once civ can control all of that resource (a monopoly if you will).

However, I also noticed something else. Invariable that same luxury apears at random points on the map as well, away from the cluster. This lets most other civs get at least one of them, and this precludes you trading with them because they only need one. This leaves you with 8 gems that you can't trade to anyone . I think luxuries should exist in clusters, and nowhere else on the map.
Old January 17, 2003, 12:06   #7
Stuie
King

Local Time: 10:28
Patroklos: If you play with continents, the luxuries are usually split so that 3 or 4 are on one continent, and the rest on the other. So while the other civs on your home continent may grab a stray luxury outside of a cluster you control, the Civs on the other continent will all be potential trade partners. Are you playing Pangea? Guess that would be different.
Old January 18, 2003, 15:03   #8
Mad Bomber
King

If you think that is bad, try playing the european map provided by Firaxis, All of the resources are fairly plentiful, its hard to not have at least one of each resource. (for example, on my most recent game I had 33 Wines available for trading)
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old January 18, 2003, 15:42   #9
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

There is usually one diferent luxury per civ per continent.
(Of course there can be more of the same luxury)
Old January 18, 2003, 18:38   #10
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
See the pic here

Geocities doesn't allow other webpages to link to images it is storing. Hence the image doesn't appear on Apolyton. The link I just posted worked the first time, but the page appears to be down again. I'll leave the link here just incase the page comes back again.
Old January 18, 2003, 21:33   #11
miike
Chieftain

That has happened to me numerous times. More with PTW, then with just Civ3. I had posted a message identical to this original message, about 4-5 monthes ago. About there being too many resources nd luxuries. My problem at the time, was that some civ on an small island next to my giant continent, had around 9-10 incense. I could not believe it. The island only supported about 6 cities. basically, the bigger the map, the more civs, the more resources and luxuries. Although, I don't know how they spread out. It appears to me, that luxuries are not spread out at all.
Old January 20, 2003, 15:51   #12
Turk Man
Chieftain

i have this too
Old January 21, 2003, 04:34   #13
MoonWolf
Prince

I think it's to encourage trade between civs. But I haven't seen this many in such a small area. Maybe you started in the year of the elephant?
Old January 21, 2003, 09:53   #14
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by miike
basically, the bigger the map, the more civs, the more resources and luxuries. Although, I don't know how they spread out. It appears to me, that luxuries are not spread out at all.
Luxuries definitely cluster, and if playing with continents a given luxury will only appear on one continent. This is meant to encourage trade, or conquest, depending on your style. I usually make it a point to control at least one source of all eight luxuries, which leads to a fair amount of conflict.....
Old January 23, 2003, 11:12   #15
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

My! Never seen anything like that
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old January 31, 2003, 18:56   #16
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 08:28
Jesp,

That is indeed a lot of Ivory!

Just make sure that you get it all to corner the world market for Ivory. That way, if one of the others gets the Furs, you can trade.

Also, if you have a monopoly on Ivory and/or Furs, you will always have something to trade.