View Poll Results: Who do you want to be our Minister of Defense?
Maquiladora 13 54.17%
Turambar 11 45.83%
abstain 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 16, 2003, 18:06   #31
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
Ive played enough SAP games to know that until you either find a diplomatic civ, you exchange maps on the turn you meet them or you pay them tribute for a long time you wont get their map for a very very long time as long as theyre more powerful.
That's funny, 'cause I've played SAP a lot as well and I know they *will* give their maps in exchange for a small gift of gold... as long as you don't piss them off in any way.

Quote:
Having their map would little change our goal anyway, if we were nice to them for a long time just to get their map they would be even more powerful than they are now, what good would a map do us then...
A map tells us if they're powerfull at all (maybe they only have 2 cities and both in very low-production area? maybe they have 6 already in high-production areas and also already have a size 4 army of archers and hoplites roaming around?) and where to strike. And since I'm pretty much certain that we *will* get the map within 2 turns (1 turns to give gold, one to ask for the map), it will prove *very* valuable, regardless of what course we follow.
Old January 16, 2003, 18:34   #32
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 07:28
someone should post a picture of the various graphs. That way we can see exactly how powerful we are in relation to the Austrians. Tech & Military maps are the two most important.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old January 16, 2003, 18:39   #33
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Someone already did
Old January 16, 2003, 20:33   #34
Turambar
Call to Power II Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 14:28
Quote:
Having their map would little change our goal anyway,
Actually it would give us a goal. The first rule of any military campaign is to know your enemy! We know next to nothing about them.

Their map will show us how many cities they have, where they are, how big they are, what terrain they've built on and how many units they have out exploring etc.

It'll allow us to gauge their strength and may show where their weak points are. It'll give us a choice of targets to strike at!

Entering a war with them blind is a very bad idea IMO.

Quote:
how would you try to get their map. (Being friendly by every price or using threats if necessary.)
I agree with Locutus that a small gift of gold will be enough to get their map from them.
Old January 16, 2003, 22:11   #35
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Turambar

Entering a war with them blind is a very bad idea IMO.
Of course, a blind fight, is a terible idea , but I don't think that anybody is suggesting such a thing... From what I can tell about the two candidates, they basically believe the same general strategy. The only difference that I'm seeing is that Turambar would prefer to focus primarilly on Defence while Maquiladora is primarily focused on offence. The latter is the best choice when dealing with the frenzy AI. One should try to weazel their map from them through diplomatic means, and almost immediately (assuming we have 3 or 4 fairly productive cities, ie the ability to pump out a military) attack there silly a$$es. Now I certainly don't believe that anyone would be foolish enough to leave our cities unguarded, but with the frenzy AI, the best choice is a preemptive strike... knock them out early. As the old saying goes, the best defence is a strong offence, this is espescially true against the frenzy AI.
Old January 17, 2003, 05:13   #36
ískallin
Call to Power II Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 02:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
We don't have that gold!
And besides we should be using our gold to rush buy settler or a warrior
Old January 17, 2003, 11:17   #37
Pedrunn
King

Local Time: 11:28
Quote:
Originally posted by ískallin
We don't have that gold!
And besides we should be using our gold to rush buy settler or a warrior
Agreed.
-Jean Rostand
Old January 17, 2003, 12:18   #38
Turambar
Call to Power II Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Quote:
Turambar would prefer to focus primarilly on Defence
Again no. I said that attacking with all our force now would leave us defenseless.

What I want to do is to basically turn Lemur City into a Warrior factory from now on. Get their map, scout about to find huts and once we feel we've enough warriors attack and take their weakest cities.

At the end of the day though it will be the people's decision on when and how to attack them and I shall respect that.
Old January 17, 2003, 15:26   #39
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 09:28
everyone agrees that our main focus is on the austrians, but what do the candidates plan to do about further exploration?
How many military units would you spare?

Describe your ideal build order.

We started with Warior-> Warrior->???
Go on for another few units.
Old January 17, 2003, 15:57   #40
Turambar
Prince

Quote:
but what do the candidates plan to do about further exploration?
We use the current warriors we have to look for goody huts in the unexplored areas away from Austria (as we'll have their map hopefully).

Quote:

->Warrrior-> Warrior-> Warrior-> Warrior ->.......

I 've tried out a few similar situations on SAP to ours like iskallin has done and found (like he did) that building a settler now is a very bad idea. Whilst building it the Austrians would just get stronger and by the time it's built the area would be crawling with Barbs.

We just need to churn out warriors for now and then go get some Austrian cities. Making sure we take their newer cities which will be less well defended than their first few which would mostly likely have 1 / 2 Hoplite and an Archer defending.
Old January 17, 2003, 20:35   #41
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:28
Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower
everyone agrees that our main focus is on the austrians, but what do the candidates plan to do about further exploration?
How many military units would you spare?

Go on for another few units.
Well i would explore the surrounding area with the existing warrior while building one more warrior, fortify the new warrior on the river either side of the capital in a strong position (to stop quick routes for barbs) making sure the vision range covers as much land as possible outwards.

Then i would build a settler, place that city and build only units until the Austrians were crippled enough not to fight back. We could realistically have 12+ units in 40-50 turns after the 2nd city, it would take twice that with only one city. Yes we could build units then instead of that settler, but one city wont be enough support while we're in the middle of a war.

Last edited by Maquiladora; January 17, 2003 at 20:47.
Old January 17, 2003, 21:09   #42
Turambar
Prince

As Locutus mentioned in another thread our city will soon go up in size meaning we can produce a warrior every 4 turns.

This means that in about 25 turns we'll have a total of 8 warriors.

That would allow us to send 6 warriors to attack (two to defend) one of the Austrians more recently built and less well defended cities. Whilst on the march there more units would still be produced to send to reinforce the army.

Thus in 30+ turns we have two cities (both producing warriors), an army with reinforcements constantly on the way, the Austrians down a city and we can go on from there taking out their weakest cities and building up our strength.

If we wait to build a settler we may find ourselves surrounded by barbs / other civs with nowhere to go.

But of course the citizens will decide when to attack with how much force.
Old January 17, 2003, 21:16   #43
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Youd be surprised how many warriors it takes to kill a couple of hoplites and an archer. I say we build our own 2 cities first.
Old January 17, 2003, 21:19   #44
Turambar
Prince

Quote:
Youd be surprised how many warriors it takes to kill a couple of hoplites and an archer.
Not really as I was playing a few games on SAP today and 6 warriors is plenty believe it or not.
Old January 17, 2003, 23:07   #45
Zaphod Beeblebrox
King

well, i was so sure to vote for turambar, and now on page 3 i'm more for maq. will have to wait a little more to decide though actually i don't think the MoD job is to decide about settlers, only the wise use of what warunits the senate (i know we don't have that ) gives him.
Old January 17, 2003, 23:29   #46
Maquiladora
Emperor

Yeah its the best election so far
Old January 17, 2003, 23:44   #47
mapfi
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II Multiplayer
Prince

the opinion one the build queu is deciding it for me even though thats not even the MoD's business - but the two candidates are much alike
we need a second city - so go Maq.
Old January 18, 2003, 03:39   #48
Maquiladora
Emperor

Although its not the MoD's decision, it shows where he stands on the issue. I want a second city, Turambar doesnt.

People who havent voted yet should also take into account what if the war goes on for longer than we expected, we dont take one city from the Austrians and they counter attack? I dont think we can defend with only one city.
Old January 18, 2003, 05:58   #49
Zaphod Beeblebrox
King

there is still some time
Old January 18, 2003, 07:19   #50
Turambar
Prince

Quote:
I want a second city, Turambar doesnt.
I want an Austrian city!

But either way it's the citizens decision and if I'm elected then I promise to cripple / wipe out the Austrians and put ourselves in a position of strength for the rest of the game, whether or not we build a second city.
Old January 18, 2003, 07:42   #51
Maquiladora
Emperor

Okay i want to build our second city, Turambar wants to try and capture our second city from the Austrians.
Old January 18, 2003, 08:19   #52
Turambar
Prince

Maq wants build a settler and then try to keep it alive and settle it at a time when Barbs will be all round our city and good settling space will be increasingly hard to come by with the expansion of the Austrians and other Civs around us.

10 votes each. Dam this is close....
Old January 18, 2003, 08:29   #53
Zaphod Beeblebrox
King

hihi, i still didn't decide. come on guys and convince me
Old January 18, 2003, 08:46   #54
Turambar
Prince

What I want to do:
  • Get their map as soon as possible.
  • Explore the area around us to find Goody Huts that may give us tech / units etc. And to find any other new Civs.
  • Continue to build warriors in Lemur City at a rate of 1 every 4 turns when we soon grow.
  • Have a force ready to attack in about 25 - 30 turns time whilst leaving our city with a defense as well.
  • Assess which Austrian city from their map will be the weakest and best target. Judgeing by how recently it was built / where it is etc.
  • Take the city. Whilst still producing warriors as back up.
  • From there we will have both cities producing warriors and can launch more attacks at their weakest places.
  • Then once we have Archers (which wont be very long with two cities at this point) etc we can take their more heavily fortified cities and wipe them out.

But of course I'm always open to new suggestions and plans regarding Austria but I think the delay from producing a settler with barbs arriving soon would be too costly.

At the end of the day though I will always follow the wishes of the people who will ultimately decide our course of action. And I shall do my best to do them justice!
Old January 18, 2003, 21:01   #55
Maquiladora
Emperor

As the "Austrian Situation" has changed somewhat, and an exchange map deal is looking more unlikely ill restate my position, just to be clear.

1) I want a second city, barbs or no barbs its not impossible to found a city and rush a warrior.
2) Once we have our own second city we'll be in a position to hold our own, against barbs and Austria.
Old January 18, 2003, 23:00   #56
HuangShang
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

the race is very close
Old January 19, 2003, 01:54   #57
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

I'll vote for Maquiladora

A better resource base equals more power.

MrBaggins

P.S. Hi !!
Old January 19, 2003, 20:10   #58
Maquiladora
Emperor

How much longer is this election open for?
Old January 20, 2003, 07:08   #59
mapfi
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II Multiplayer
Prince

~6 hours, see first post
Old January 20, 2003, 07:31   #60
Locutus
Deity

Hmmm, based on the latest posts it's a good thing Maq is winning, 'cause I think I voted for the wrong man...

I'll remember for next time to hold my vote a little longer...

Go Maq!