Old January 15, 2003, 16:39   #1
Jules
Warlord

Local Time: 09:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Bush Declares National Sanctity of Life Day
Quote:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- In a move praised by conservatives and criticized by abortion rights activists, President Bush declared January 19 "National Sanctity of Human Life Day."

Tuesday's presidential proclamation was issued in advance of next week's 30th anniversary of the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision, which legalized abortion in the United States. Conservatives have sought for years to overturn that decision.

Bush, who has supported various abortion restrictions, called on all Americans on Sunday to "reaffirm the value of human life and renew our dedication to ensuring that every American has access to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

"Every child is a priority and a blessing, and I believe that all should be welcomed in life and protected by law," Bush's proclamation said.

Abortion rights groups sharply criticized the president.

Susanne Martinez, vice president of public policy for Planned Parenthood, said the timing of the announcement showed that the Bush administration "has made it clear they'd like the law overturned in the U.S."

"This administration for two years has waged a war against women," she said in a telephone interview. "He has tried to elevate the rights of the fetus above the rights of women, and that's a tragedy."

Abortion opponents praised the president's proclamation.

"It's a wonderful statement of what the pro-life movement is really all about," said Darla St. Martin, associate executive director of the National Right to Life organization.

"President Bush's pro-life view is clearly grounded in his respect and concern for all people," she added.

In the proclamation, Bush cited his administration's efforts to create "compassionate alternatives to abortion."

"My administration has championed compassionate alternatives to abortion, such as helping women in crisis through maternity group homes, encouraging adoption, promoting abstinence education, and passing laws requiring parental notification and waiting periods for minors," Bush said.

Bush also touted his Born-Alive Infants Protection Act, which he signed into law in August 2002.

"This important legislation helps protect the most vulnerable members of our society by ensuring that every infant born alive, including one who survives abortion, is considered a person and receives protection under federal law," the proclamation read.

The president urged people to celebrate the day by holding ceremonies at home or at places of worship, and to "rededicate ourselves to compassionate service, and to reaffirm our commitment to respecting the life and dignity of every human being."

The National Abortion Rights Action League/Pro-Choice America released a statement calling Bush's proclamation an effort to roll back abortion rights.

"The president clearly wants the federal government in doctors' offices making personal decisions that should be left to women and their doctors," NARAL said.
ROTFLMAO!!!

Does this mean we get another day off?

Discuss.

Old January 15, 2003, 16:42   #2
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:29
Funny how he can do this and then be pushing the U.S. on an inexorable path towards bombing the bejeezus out of Iraq.

Hypocrite.
Old January 15, 2003, 16:45   #3
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Funny how he can do this and then be pushing the U.S. on an inexorable path towards bombing the bejeezus out of Iraq.

Hypocrite.
You beat me to it! Damn you Boris, Daaaaaaaaaamnnnnnnnnn yooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old January 15, 2003, 16:46   #4
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 11:29

Insane. Just... insane.

Old January 15, 2003, 16:46   #5
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 10:29
Quote:
National Sanctity of Human Life Day

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 15, 2003, 16:48   #6
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Next week he will designate National Wildlife Preservation day, in celebration of which he will forcefully sodomize and then butcher a live baby seal.
Old January 15, 2003, 16:51   #7
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 17:29
I am looking forward to that.
Old January 15, 2003, 17:09   #8
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 16:29
Notice that it's "National Sanctity of Human Life Day." God/Javhe/Allah forbid that it would include sanctity of life for Iraqi civilians or anything like that!
Old January 15, 2003, 17:15   #9
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

When I'm president, I'll make a "National Laugh at All Those Other Stupid Presidents Day."
Old January 15, 2003, 17:19   #10
Az
Emperor

It's Jahveh, Jahveh, damn it! don't you dare to misspell my pink unicorn!
Old January 15, 2003, 17:26   #11
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Next week he will designate National Wildlife Preservation day, in celebration of which he will forcefully sodomize and then butcher a live baby seal.
No, no, no, silly Boris. National Wildlife Preservation day will feature demonstrations of the wonders of Taxidermy.
Old January 15, 2003, 17:34   #12
Jules
Warlord

I would next like to see a "National Energy Independence Day" with the ritual shooting-of-the-endangered-Alaskan-carabou-from-the-comfort-of-your-SUV followed by the ever popular game of let's-slick-up-Prudhoe-Bay-some-more-'cause-ya-never-know-when-we-might-have-to-set-it-ablaze-someday-to-combat-a-deadly-swarm-of-Africanized-bees.
Old January 15, 2003, 17:34   #13
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 16:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
Who cares?
Old January 15, 2003, 18:03   #14
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

"Every child is a priority and a blessing, and I believe that all should be welcomed in life and protected by law,"

I for one support the gesture. If one believes that all human beings are valuable, why accept abortion, why allow abortion in the country you are president?

Boris-
Bush doesn't want to go to war. If he were a warmonger, he would already be at war with Iraq.
That being said, I don't support the war for the same reason I don't support abortion- what gives us the right to kill these Iraqis?

BTW- do you support Bush's initiative? Just because he's inconsistent, doesn't mean both the war and this proclamation are wrong.
Old January 15, 2003, 18:10   #15
Boris Godunov
Emperor

I'm pro-choice, obiwan, if that's what you're asking. I whole-heartedly believe human life is sacred. That's why I give Bush zero credibility on the issue, considering he openly mocked a woman about to be executed in Texas.

This proclamation is a political stunt to pander to the Christian conservatives. It's a meaningless, empty and cynical gesture. So no, I don't support it.
Old January 15, 2003, 18:19   #16
Az
Emperor

Quote:
Who cares?
Old January 15, 2003, 18:45   #17
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

"I'm pro-choice, obiwan, if that's what you're asking. I whole-heartedly believe human life is sacred. "

-Boris

What counts as human life then? Why don't unborn children count as well?

"This proclamation is a political stunt to pander to the Christian conservatives. "

Perhaps, but I'll take a National Sancitity of Life day anyways. Clinton would never have announced something to this effect.

"he openly mocked a woman about to be executed in Texas."

Didn't hear about this. When did this happen?
Old January 15, 2003, 18:47   #18
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

obiwan - how can a man who supports capital punishment and warmongering possibly speak on Sanctity of Life. He's a hypocrite, a moron, and a puppet.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old January 15, 2003, 19:28   #19
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Read Beckwith, Politically Correct Death, he agrees with Capital Punishment and is against abortion.

His argument centers on the distinction between innocent human persons, and those who are not. One can forfeit one's right to life, through killing someone else. Unborn children are by definition innocent, since they have not had a chance to hurt other people. Therefore, one should protect innocent human life, while allowing those who murder others to be punished.

I don't agree with Beckwith on this issue, mostly due to my pacifism, and faith in rehabilitation, but not because I am a prolifer.

The best definition of a prolifer is one who believes innocent human life should be protected. Abortion takes the life of an innocent human person, and is therefore wrong.

I hope this is somewhat clearer.
Old January 15, 2003, 19:58   #20
MosesPresley
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by obiwan18
Unborn children are by definition innocent, since they have not had a chance to hurt other people.
What if the unborn child is harming the mother?
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime
Old January 15, 2003, 20:04   #21
Vesayen
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
No, its Adonai......

*stupid middle age "scholars" misreading hebrew....grrrr*
Old January 15, 2003, 20:07   #22
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 14:29
How long till abortions become illegal in the states?
Old January 15, 2003, 20:08   #23
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

What do you mean by harms MosesPresley?

If you mean an ectopic pregnancy that endangers the life of the mother, there is nothing wrong with an abortion. It is better to save 1 life then to allow 2 to die.

As for other 'harms' to the mother, I would say no.
Old January 15, 2003, 20:13   #24
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

We're back to forcing women to be incubators for the State, I see...

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old January 15, 2003, 20:17   #25
tandeetaylor
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:29
Quote:
Bush doesn't want to go to war.

Old January 15, 2003, 20:33   #26
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

"We're back to forcing women to be incubators for the State." -STYOM

Does the state forcibly impregnant women? Do women not have some choice as to who they choose to sleep with, or whether they have sex at all? Sex has consequences, and one of them just happens to be pregnancy.

Tandee- fair enough. You have my permission to use that as sig material.
Old January 15, 2003, 20:58   #27
King

Quote:
"We're back to forcing women to be incubators for the State." -STYOM

Does the state forcibly impregnant women? Do women not have some choice as to who they choose to sleep with, or whether they have sex at all? Sex has consequences, and one of them just happens to be pregnancy.
Birth control isn't 100% effective. Why should women be punished for having sex by being forced to carry a fetus to term? I didn't think anyone outside the Catholic church thought that sex should be punished...?

The state doesn't forcibly impregnate women. However, what you're advocating is the state forcing women who become pregnant - even if unintended, regardless of reasonable birth control methods - to spend 9 months of their lives carrying a child.

That's slavery.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old January 15, 2003, 21:06   #28
King

However, we're getting off topic here - the real point of this thread was to laugh at GWB's hypocrisy re: anti-choice, but pro-death penalty and pro-war - and not to rehash the abortion argument.

Old January 15, 2003, 21:15   #29
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

"Why should women be punished for having sex by being forced to carry a fetus to term? I didn't think anyone outside the Catholic church thought that sex should be punished...?"

STYOM,

Women make the choice whether to have sex or not. Slaves do not have a choice whether or not to be slaves.

This is not a 'punishment' for sex, but a consequence. All actions have consequences and it is a biological fact that sex can lead to pregnancy. Look it up. Even with contraception, although contraception does lessen the likelyhood somewhat. Everyone should be prepared before sex for the possibility of getting their partner pregnant.

BTW I'm not Catholic, okay. See if you can find what denomination I am. I've posted it before.
Old January 15, 2003, 21:21   #30
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Fine by me- do you want to start another OT thread?

Sorry for the threadjack.