View Poll Results: Shall this amendment be passed?
Yea 3 13.04%
Nay 17 73.91%
abstain 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 15, 2003, 19:15   #1
MJW
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 09:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Talking about Amendment#2
Does this sound good? The Court, in its deliberations about an issue, can find a "spirit of the law" exception or interpretation to the printed wording of the law so long as 4 of the 5 Judges agree. This will be Article VI Clause 7.

Edited so it will not pass and not make a splatter on the court floor. Sinece this now has no chance of passing likes make it the theard were we talk about it.

Last edited by MJW; January 16, 2003 at 19:25.
Old January 15, 2003, 19:19   #2
MJW
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Prince

DO NOT POSTS SAYING STUFF ABOUT MY OTHER ACTIONS. THAT=FLAMEWAR MAKE OTHER THEARDS FOR THAT!!!!!
Old January 15, 2003, 19:22   #3
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 06:30
You may want to have discussion on this amendment proposal first. That's what we've typically done in the past.

But this is a very interesting idea for discussion.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old January 15, 2003, 19:39   #4
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 16:30
I agree with the spirit of the amendment, but I voted NO

I voted no, because the amendment is not ready to be voted yet, it lacks many things :
- proper spelling. I know it might sound ludicrous, but I think we'd have to amend with a 2/3 majority only to correct the spelling
- we don't know where in the constitution it will be put. Only the Senate can take such a decision, so this would lead to a new poll (although a completely stupid one)
- We didn't have any prepoll discussion on this, to refine the amendment, and make it the best possible before polling on it.
Old January 15, 2003, 19:45   #5
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 10:30
Agreed, vote no so that this can go through the proper processes.

E_T
Old January 15, 2003, 19:48   #6
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:30
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor

I voted no, because the amendment is not ready to be voted yet, it lacks many things :
- proper spelling. I know it might sound ludicrous(my emphasis), but I think we'd have to amend with a 2/3 majority only to correct the spelling
Yep, that's the NewCon for you. No simplicity allowed.

Quote:
- we don't know where in the constitution it will be put. Only the Senate can take such a decision, so this would lead to a new poll (although a completely stupid one)
- We didn't have any prepoll discussion on this, to refine the amendment, and make it the best possible before polling on it.
Now these two are rather important points, the latter especially. A law must be debated first. This is why I vote no as well. However, MJW, start a discussion thread and I believe this has a great chance of passing.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old January 15, 2003, 20:14   #7
MJW
Prince

Does this sound good? The spirit of the law is more important then the law but, must be confirmed by 4/5 judges. This shall be placed on article IV and be clause 12.
Old January 15, 2003, 20:16   #8
MJW
Prince

Sinece this now has no chance of passing likes make it the theard were we talk about it.
Old January 15, 2003, 20:59   #9
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

I think it is too restrictive.

How about simply adding...

"The court may make judgements based on the letter and spirit of the law."
and, I would add..
"The court may, at its discretion, consider RL issues in its deliberations"

Making a specific vote on"spirit or intent"will complicate issues. Just allow it as a consideration in debate and let it go from there.

Mss

Last edited by ManicStarSeed; January 15, 2003 at 21:04.
Old January 15, 2003, 21:04   #10
MJW
Prince

You mean 3-2 not 4-1
Old January 15, 2003, 21:05   #11
MJW
Prince

Lets take a vote MSS or MJW! I vote me.
Old January 15, 2003, 21:38   #12
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I wouldn't place this in Art IV, which has to do with rights of and restrictions for citizens. I'd put this in Art III which deals with the Court or in Art VI which deals with conflicts of law.

I think what MJW means (correct me if I'm wrong) is that The Court, in its deliborations about an issue, can find a "spirit of the law" exception or interpretation to the printed wording of the law so long as 4 of the 5 Judges agree.

Right?

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old January 15, 2003, 21:55   #13
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Togas :
It is what I understood, and what I agreed with

MJW : in this circumstance, I vote you. But I think TOgas' wording is better.
Old January 15, 2003, 22:26   #14
MJW
Prince

I will do what Togas says.
Old January 15, 2003, 23:21   #15
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

I'm not sure what you mean by "spirit of the law." You mean what was the original intent of the law that our forefathers created?

If so, the judges already do determine this when ruling on any issue.

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
Old January 16, 2003, 11:51   #16
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Togas
You may want to have discussion on this amendment proposal first. That's what we've typically done in the past.

But this is a very interesting idea for discussion.

--Togas
hi ,

good point , .......

have a nice day
Old January 16, 2003, 19:25   #17
MJW
Prince

How about this?

The Court, in its deliberations about an issue, can find a "spirit of the law" exception or interpretation to the printed wording of the law so long as 4 of the 5 Judges agree. This will be Article VI Clause 7.
Old January 17, 2003, 17:15   #18
MJW
Prince

bump
Old January 17, 2003, 17:39   #19
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

MJW,

I personally am still not sure what you are trying to accomplish? AFAIK, the justices do rule on the intent of a law if it is in question. Maybe I'm not seeing what you are trying to do. If not, please explain.

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
Old January 17, 2003, 18:40   #20
MJW
Prince

If the intent of the law can override the law.
Old January 17, 2003, 21:49   #21
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteBandit
MJW,

I personally am still not sure what you are trying to accomplish? AFAIK, the justices do rule on the intent of a law if it is in question. Maybe I'm not seeing what you are trying to do. If not, please explain.
Right now, the way it stands the court is hearing cases that are based in the letter of the constution (for example the 72 hr veto thing). The typical atrgument is that he letter of the law is supreme, the intent (or spirit) does not matter.
This would allow the spirit and intent to be considered.

Are you saying that the "intent of the law" is allowable under the New Con?

Mss
Old January 17, 2003, 21:56   #22
MJW
Prince

yes, even if they rule in the intent this amendment can not hurt. (:
Old January 17, 2003, 22:07   #23
WhiteBandit
Prince

MSS, yes. I believe that ruling on the intent of the law IS allowable under the New Con. I guess it would be beneficial to ask the justices what they feel on this issue. It looks like Togas actually approves of this ammendment, so I could be wrong.

Though Togas actually helped to write the New Con, so I guess we can ask him? Does the New Con actually allow justices to rule on its intent.

Old January 17, 2003, 22:10   #24
MJW
Prince

I will post the better amendment when court case 9 is done.
Old January 17, 2003, 22:14   #25
ManicStarSeed
Prince

WB:
I just checked. Ther is nothing explicit regarding intent or spirit of the law. That is why something like this is helpful...

Mss
Old January 17, 2003, 22:31   #26
aleion
NationStatesCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy Game
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by MJW
I will do what Togas says.
All Hail Togas!!!!!!!!!!!! King Of MJW's SOUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ambassador to Legoland on the Lux Invicta Team
Member of: Team Lux Invicta (PTW Demo Game)
Old January 17, 2003, 23:15   #27
MJW
Prince

I said that about the amendment, spammer