View Poll Results: Shall this amendment pass?
Yea 11 42.31%
Nay 15 57.69%
Abstain 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 15, 2003, 22:26   #1
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

Local Time: 10:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Amendment Proposal III
Wartime Legislation
Under II, 2, H,
Polls
i.) When our nation is at a state of war with another nation, polls dealing with military issues must be open for at least 24 hours. All polls dealing with non-military issues will remain open for the standard 72 hour period.
ii.) A "military issue" is defined as any issue regarding peace treaties, military alliances, mutual protection pacts, or determining the purpose of a great leader.
iii.) Any senator may propose a wartime poll during a state of war.

Under II, 2, I, Chats
i.) This amendment gives the Senate the authority to declare an emergency meeting to be held in a chat room.
ii.) The chat meeting must have notification at least 24 hours in advance and define the issue to be debated on the forum.
iii.) Polls, as defined by the Constitution, excepting that they need not have any expiration restrictions, may be undertaken during a chat; decisions made in the chats have full authority.
iv.) At least one member of the court must be present during an emergency chat, whom will take and tally votes.
v.) Absentee votes must be able to be sent in for people who can not make the chat. Absentee votes will be sent in to an agreed upon court member who will add them to the final tally.
Old January 15, 2003, 22:38   #2
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:30
This deserves some debate. Everyone has 10 days to vote on it... perhaps they should withhold their vote until it receives some needed debate.

As for the general idea, I think it has a lot of merit.
Old January 15, 2003, 22:45   #3
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

Local Time: 10:30
It did have much debate: this comes from a summary of that debate, which can be found on page two, in Davouts pre-amendment discussion thread.
Old January 15, 2003, 22:52   #4
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

You're right. Well... I think the overal thing is pretty good, I'm just undecided on the specifics
Old January 16, 2003, 00:54   #5
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 11:30
War-time quick polls... I like it.
I voted yes.
Old January 16, 2003, 01:26   #6
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

I need to come back to this later and look at it in more detail, but it looks good on first glance.
Old January 16, 2003, 07:31   #7
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 15:30
There are two different issues in that amendment; I agree with the first one and I totally disagree with the other, so I voted No.
The reasons why I disagree are :
- Emergency meetings can be organized by the Senate in a Senate Bill, no need of an amendment.
- Members of the Court cannot perform operational tasks or executive duties in their quality of Justice; this would destroy the balance of power, and weaken the ability of the Court to judge any case raised on matters they were involved in their accomplishment. We can even question that a justice can act outside the Court. We could see soon calls for impeachment of Justices.
- The absentee is an issue in itself. The absentee problem appears suddenly although it is not really new that there were absentee from the beginning. The answer to that problem was the quorum, that the Senate has the power to modify if need be. Till now the 25% quorum has been quite appropriate since NO Senate bill has been rejected for the quorum not met. In addition, the solution proposed does not work: the Senators are informed 24 hours before the chat (when they are present) of the issue to be debated, but not of the poll the text of which being in its final format only after the discussion in the chat, that is at a time when the absentee are absent. Therefore they cannot vote since they do not know what the poll is exactly for. If the text of the poll is posted in the chat room at the beginning of the chat, as it was recently, the whole thing is a farce aiming only at the end to make by any means Senate decision during turnchats.

As I don?t want that the Senate become a puppet of the turnchaters, I support the first part of this amendment which is enough to improve considerably the Senate decision process. As you know, the prepoll discussion is a practice commonly used in order to reach an acceptable text for Senate bills, but it is not a constitutional obligation, it is just the way we used to work in peace time. Instead of calling for a chat with a 24 hours notice (when the absentee are present ) the Cabinet could just post a 24 hours emergency poll.
Old January 16, 2003, 11:45   #8
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 16:30
hi ,

24 hours is a short time , .....

this could lead to some stuff being done in haste , and later we might regret it , .....

have a nice day
Old January 16, 2003, 15:30   #9
Arnelos
Emperor

DAVOUT,

You've laid out a very convincing argument. Thud, any response?
Old January 16, 2003, 18:52   #10
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:30
DAVOUT, please help me with court case 10! (jk)

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old January 16, 2003, 19:13   #11
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 08:30
how do we decide the judge to which the absentee votes is sent to, and who runs the tallies, in case more than one want to?
Old January 23, 2003, 01:31   #12
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Hmm... this poll is closed, but it shouldn't until tomorrow. (Which is coming in 20 minutes for me, but it should close tomorrow evening to meet the 7 day requirement.)

I know I shouldn't try to do math this late at night.

Well, I guess this amendment was defeated.
Old January 23, 2003, 01:36   #13
Arnelos
Emperor

This proposal is dead. Please de-top it. Thanks
Old January 23, 2003, 01:58   #14
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 11:30
Done.