Old January 15, 2003, 23:13   #1
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 14:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
"In-your-face Vegetarians" (My first rant!)
I've always heard people complainging about "in-your-face vegetarians" who force their views on other people. But, in all my life, I have not met a single vegetarian who has tried to force their views on me. Since becoming a vegeterian. (about 4-6 months now, I think it's been) I have noticed that it's quite the opposite. Every time you mention you are a vegetarian, someone's going to come up with a smart-ass remark or give you odd looks.

A perfect example are the vegetarian recipe threads that have been posted here on apolyton, there's always more "duuur, eat a steak" posts then there are with actual ideas.

I used to wonder why there where those ridiculous meat-substitutes like veggieburgers, or tofurky. Since becoming a vegetarian, I've learned that it's so non-vegetarians can feel comfortable eating with you.

This, of course, does not apply to everyone - only the close minded and ignorant.

Do It Ourselves
Old January 15, 2003, 23:15   #2
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 07:31
eat pork chops

seriously though what are your reasons of being a vegetarian?
Old January 15, 2003, 23:16   #3
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 08:31
mmm... steak...
Old January 15, 2003, 23:18   #4
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 10:31
You've never met a single vegetarian that tried to force their views on you? Which part of the country are you from? I've met plenty of people that tell me how cruel it is to eat animals (then again North East college campuses have many PETA members).
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old January 15, 2003, 23:20   #5
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
But, in all my life, I have not met a single vegetarian who has tried to force their views
SAYS THE ONE WHO BANS MEAT!!!
Old January 15, 2003, 23:20   #6
Tuberski

Local Time: 09:31
More importantly, why would a vegetarian force their views ON avegetarian?

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old January 15, 2003, 23:32   #7
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I admit I have never had a vegetarian force their views on me. But of course I don't hang out with vegetarians . There might not be any vegetarians in my city. My city is a city where we indulge in the earthly delights. And some of those delights are women and meat, not necessarily in that order.
Old January 15, 2003, 23:40   #8
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 16:31
I have plenty vegetarians in my class. Only one of them was slightly pushy (she sometimes talked about it when we were eating together) but stopped shortly.
Often, vegetarians talk about it only when I ask why they became vegetarians. But again, I know many German girls, and vegetarianism is somehow the norm among them
Old January 15, 2003, 23:46   #9
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
You've never met a single vegetarian that tried to force their views on you? Which part of the country are you from? I've met plenty of people that tell me how cruel it is to eat animals (then again North East college campuses have many PETA members).
I never have, and neither has anyone I know. Your experiences aren't universal, ya know.

I'm mostly vegetarian (the only meat I eat is fish), and I get crap all the time like Osweld points out. My mom thinks it's a personal thing against her just to make her meal planning difficult...
Old January 15, 2003, 23:47   #10
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
seriously though what are your reasons of being a vegetarian?

Both ethical and poltical.

The conditions in factory farms are immensely inhumane, and aside from being torturous to the animals the conditions are also a breeding ground for diseases in meat. Factory farms are what has turn un-cooked meat into a biohazard.

Factory farms also cause an immense amount of pollution, the animal waste produced from cattle greatly excedes the amount produced by humans (and I do mean greatly - I have read estimates that are as much as 130 times the amount of humans for the USA) this all goes into the enviroment untreated, and has been known to kill off all the aquatic life in places which it is dumped.

The anti-biotics and growth hormones that are used so that the animals can live in such atracious conditions bring around "super germs" that are resistent to drugs. These drugs are also in animal waste and run-off, and contaminate the enviroment and possibly even our drinking water.

Meat farming is immensely inefficient. 40 percent of the total world's grain harvest goes to feeding cattle, but a single hamburger is equal to ten loaves of bread, and the grazing land needed for free-range animals can bring more yield with crops. Much of the grain used to feed the cattle are imported from places where people are too poor to afford food, and are starving to death. It is estimated that if everyone adopted a vegetarian diet, our current food production would be enough to sustain a population of 10 billion people.

Worker's conditions are almost as bad as the animal's. Workers in slaughter houses have some of the most dangerous jobs in the world, succumb to all sorts of injuries. Many of them (in the USA, atleast) are illegal immigrants that are loured to the job with foreign advertisements and can be easily exploited.

It's also quite healthy. (especially when weighted against the disease-filled meats)

Do It Ourselves
Old January 15, 2003, 23:51   #11
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov

I never have, and neither has anyone I know. Your experiences aren't universal, ya know.

I'm mostly vegetarian (the only meat I eat is fish), and I get crap all the time like Osweld points out. My mom thinks it's a personal thing against her just to make her meal planning difficult...
I can't believe you are so rotten to your mother. Aren't all gay men former "mama's boys"?

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old January 15, 2003, 23:53   #12
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski

I can't believe you are so rotten to your mother. Aren't all gay men former "mama's boys"?

ACK!
I could fill pages and pages with the nuances of my relationship with my mother. I will spare you.
Old January 15, 2003, 23:55   #13
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Re: "In-your-face Vegetarians" (My first rant!)
Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
But, in all my life, I have not met a single vegetarian who has tried to force their views on me.
Never met any PETA members, have you?
Old January 15, 2003, 23:55   #14
Tuberski

I'm glad you understand me, Boris. And thanks for not sharing them, I don't understand nuances, I live in Texas.

ACK!
Old January 15, 2003, 23:57   #15
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I have yet to find a Vegetarian who says "eating meat is cruel". The closest I've seen (and it's a sound argument) is "the way we raise cattle is uselessly cruel". Maybe PETA members are a caste of stupid veggies ?
Old January 15, 2003, 23:58   #16
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Re: Re: "In-your-face Vegetarians" (My first rant!)
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Never met any PETA members, have you?
Honestly, I haven't. But since when did PETA members represent the views of vegetarians? They don't represent vegetarians any more than the Klan represents Southern Christian...conserva...tives...

Oh wait...think I'd better find a better analogy...
Old January 15, 2003, 23:59   #17
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Maybe PETA members are a caste of stupid veggies ?
That goes without saying.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old January 15, 2003, 23:59   #18
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:

My family is pretty understanding. My sister used to be vegetarian, so they've gotten a chance to get used to it before. (thank god I wasn't the first!) Still, everyone used to say the same thing as your mom. And my grandparent's on my fathers side still treat it like some sort of disease, and practically quarantine my food, making sure they don't eat any of my vegetarian meals. (They where so considerate of it that they bought veggieburgers from M&M meat shop when I went to visit them tasted like they where made of cardboard - probably where )

Do It Ourselves
Old January 16, 2003, 00:02   #19
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
But since when did PETA members represent the views of vegetarians?
I had no idea that reading comprehension was so poor north of the Mason-Dixon Line.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old January 16, 2003, 00:06   #20
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
I had no idea that reading comprehension was so poor north of the Mason-Dixon Line.
I may have been slow parsing out the syl-lab-les, but I think I got it ok.
Old January 16, 2003, 00:12   #21
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

PETA would never set foot in my city So no, I have never met one. I was also in the military as well. You just aren't likely to meet vegetarians in the military or PETA members.
Old January 16, 2003, 00:13   #22
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
I may have been slow parsing out the syl-lab-les, but I think I got it ok.
I find that to be highly doubtful given that I said anything about PETA being representative of vegetarians.
Old January 16, 2003, 00:32   #23
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 08:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski
I'm glad you understand me, Boris. And thanks for not sharing them, I don't understand nuances, I live in Texas.

ACK!
hehe... true, its funny cause its true... *cough* Bush *cough*
Old January 16, 2003, 00:52   #24
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:

I find that to be highly doubtful given that I said anything about PETA being representative of vegetarians.
I'm thinking this should be about your composition skills, not my comprehension skills.
Old January 16, 2003, 01:03   #25
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:31
I've met plenty of in-your-face vegetarians, especially back in high school! Every time I got a Big Beef from Portillo's, and then went to the local Whole Foods market, I'd always get these veg-heads giving me the smarmiest remarks about me being a "carnovore" or some such nonsense. "Sir, would you mind not dripping beef juice on the vegetables?" "I'm afraid that I'm going to have to charge you for all of the fruit that you've licked." "For God's sake, put some pants on!" What a bunch of jerks!
Old January 16, 2003, 01:10   #26
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Much of the grain used to feed the cattle are imported from places where people are too poor to afford food, and are starving to death.
We're...importing grain?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 16, 2003, 02:08   #27
VJ
King

I don't eat any meat when making my own food, but mostly from economic
and selfish reasons, so I'm a flexible wannabe-veggie...

Quote:
The anti-biotics and growth hormones that are used so that the animals can live in such atracious conditions bring around "super germs" that are resistent to drugs. These drugs are also in animal waste and run-off, and contaminate the enviroment and possibly even our drinking water.
These hormones are not allowed in EU. IIRC, it was a big mess with US few years back.
Old January 16, 2003, 02:39   #28
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Still is AFAIK....

I just got tired of meat, I will still eat it, but less and lass. I saw too much waste working in a kitchen. Meat has become to cheap too IMHO.
Old January 16, 2003, 03:20   #29
Combat Ingrid
Prince

Local Time: 23:31
Re: "In-your-face Vegetarians" (My first rant!)
Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
I've always heard people complainging about "in-your-face vegetarians" who force their views on other people. But, in all my life, I have not met a single vegetarian who has tried to force their views on me. Since becoming a vegeterian. (about 4-6 months now, I think it's been) I have noticed that it's quite the opposite. Every time you mention you are a vegetarian, someone's going to come up with a smart-ass remark or give you odd looks.
It seems like you don't even need to mention it. Whenever you are at a dinner and someone finds out you had the vegetarian meal, you will soon be under heavy fire and have to defend why you don't eat meat...

Yes, I know. We veggies are evil plant eaters, but as long as it's legal you can't stop us!
Old January 16, 2003, 03:30   #30
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

i tried to be a vegetarian after a mass consumption of meat incident( i ate 5lbs of meat at in and out burger). it lasted about 6 months until i had a chicken burrito...

i still refrain from eating red meat though if given the option