Old February 1, 2003, 10:27   #151
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Local Time: 09:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse Gits
SSC in Republic

SCG … you built up the improvements in Bilbao and I note gave it more trade routes which is good play. However, you forgot the killing punch … make the place grow! At present there are four happy faces, two content and one red. Just click on the workers at sea and make an Elvis to lose your red face and the city celebrates.

The settlers around town are doing the wrong things. One is building a road on swamp another is irrigating swamp. They should both be mining the wheat to silk Now that sanitation is available the SSC should near treble its size. If Shake's is there… goodbye unhappy people!

An SSC should be spared no expense. It must be kept growing until it reaches maximum size. All other cities are in some sense "helper" cities for the science centre. (See the excellent posts by solo in the strategy forum about early landings.) With Bilbao at 12+ with two silks in operation the effect on the science rate will be a gain of at least one or perhaps two turns.

As I can already hear the peanut gallery becoming restless I will now shut up!

----------------------------

SG(2)
Good points about forgetting to make it grow... I could have gotten it to 8 once i had finished the harbor, and after the aquaduct 9 or 11. I finally got that 3rd trade route out in about 600 even with the extra triremes, so it had only 3 happies without elvi, but did have enough extra food to do that. My thinking was to irrigate the swamp so i could irrigate the wheat for extra food (and the road was being built to make irrigating of the next swamp easier - that settler was going to assist the other settler on the swamp once finished. As for where the caravans are, I was thinking about the military instead of growth *keeps finding rust on all his thought patterns*

I also was spending more money speeding caravans (both trade and food) than i was finishing white goods outside of harbors for the various towns (notice there are 7 harbors now) As a side note, with the harbors and trade routes, the other cities grew enough to get science from 8 to 6 (yeah, probably could have gotten it to 4)

o well, I'll try and do more evaluating at the beginning of each turn instead of just the beginning of each time i get the game
Old February 2, 2003, 22:56   #152
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 07:31
What the Git means: in Republic you make a city celebrate, it grows by one each turn as long as you have at least one excess food available. It is enormously powerful!
Old February 2, 2003, 23:49   #153
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Straybow
What the Git means: in Republic you make a city celebrate, it grows by one each turn as long as you have at least one excess food available. It is enormously powerful!
Quote:
Originally posted by SCG
Good points about forgetting to make it grow... I could have gotten it to 8 once i had finished the harbor, and after the aquaduct 9 or 11.
guess i didn't communicate very well there - i was implying i wasn't sure the city would celebrate at the odd populations (common in early republic and moderate luxuries), while acknowledging that while i had grown a couple of the other cities, I had forgotten to grow the SSC. I looked at my saves, and it would have celebrated from 7 to 8 once the harbor was finished, and i built the harbor before i built the aquaduct so it couldn't have grown past 8 until i got that in. Anyway, I've been growing via WLTxDs since warlord level on Civ I (a long time ago) - I just had a couple extended breaks from Civ II and got rather rusty at micromanaging each turn (see here for early evidence that I've been using it at diety level for a while )
Old February 3, 2003, 00:12   #154
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Play order should be out of date by now
Straybow
SCG
SG[1]
DaveV (I suppose he thinks nobody will notice now?)
STYOM
Lafayette
SG(2)
Quote:
Straybow's original message to SCG
Sorry, it just sounded like you were trying to maximize food like the AI (saying you would irrigate the Wheat rather than convert to Silk).

The odd size non-celebration problem usually doesn't hit until 9, and is avoided entirely by possessing HG (while it lasts) or Cure. That's why I'm a HG convert (never liked it until I started playing succession games).

Last edited by Straybow; February 13, 2003 at 01:32.
Old February 3, 2003, 05:26   #155
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 14:31
The odd size non-celebration problem does not happen if you have the HG. (Or CfC or courthouse if in Demo).

Straybow - I think I've encountered the problem with cities under size 9.
----------------------

SG(2)
Old February 3, 2003, 08:43   #156
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 10:31
I have downloaded the file, and will play ASAP. Estimated completion: Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning. I tried to play over the weekend, but had downloaded the save to a bad floppy (and the dog ate my homework, the sun got in my eyes, and the check is in the mail).
Old February 3, 2003, 09:06   #157
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

OK Dave - we believe you

SG[1]
Old February 3, 2003, 09:35   #158
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveV
...but had downloaded the save to a bad floppy...
WTF is that????????????

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old February 4, 2003, 14:14   #159
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Ten turns played (15 seemed a little too much at this juncture). We have gone from a peaceful trading nation to a militaristic one, soon to have the irrestible gunpowder tech! Many cities are producing warriors, who will become 10-shield musketeers when upgraded. The Vikings are being very aggressive and are just begging for some retribution (hint, hint!). One more note: Bilbao is currently in food deficit to maintain WLTCD status; next turn, its colosseum should allow it to start growing again.

620 Shields increased at the expense of food and arrows in: Madrid, Granada, Barcelona, Another Canal, Valencia, Pamplona Canal. Rushbuild temple in Bilbao. Wake up some settlers to work near Bilbao. Move food caravans to Madrid - I like to build wonders in the capital. Japanese develop Monarchy.
640 Celebrations end in several cities. English develop Bridge Building. Gibbon reports we are the happiest civilization (followed by Japanese, English, Sioux, Americans, Russians, Vikings). Japanese government is overthrown.
660 Increase luxuries to 40%. Sioux, Vikings sign peace treaty. Japanese change to monarchy.
680 WLTCD in Cadiz, Saragossa, Valladolid, Valencia, Central Beach, Madrid. Population > 400,000. Vikings develop Construction. Two Viking chariots die attacking our legion near Malaga.
700 Invention, Physics next (Gunpowder not offered ). Our chariot kills a Viking chariot near Malaga. Dye(D) Hello There!->Izumo, 216; Wool(D) Seville->Izumo, 228. Food caravans sacrificed on the altar of the great Leonardo. Rushbuild sewer system in Bilbao. Sioux develop Navigation, English aquire same from Great Library. Sioux undertake Magellan's Expedition.
720 WLTCD cancelled in Saragossa, Central Beach, Valladolid. Madrid completes Leonardo's Workshop. Silver(D) Cadiz->Bilbao, 37; Salt Salamanca->Malaga, 18; Wool Barcelona->Malaga, 13. Our elephant kills Viking catapult and warrior near Malaga.
740 Valencia builds aqueduct. Physics, Gunpowder next. Eek! our caravan-laden caravel uses its last movement point to uncover a barb caravel and barb legion. The camels are put ashore in hopes of preserving them. As expected, the barb pirates sink our caravel. Viking chariot dies attacking our legion near Malaga.
760 WLTCD cancelled in Cadiz.
780 WLTCD cancelled in Valencia, Madrid. Rushbuild bank in Bilbao. Japanese develop Feudalism. Viking archer dies attacking our legion near Malaga.
800 Nothing special.
820 Our crusaders die attacking (unfortified) Viking warrior on mountain near Malaga . Rushbuild Colosseum in Bilbao.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip fe_a820.zip (20.1 KB, 5 views)
Old February 4, 2003, 14:29   #160
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Sorry guys, I've lost the plot the last play order I can find doesn't seem to correspond to the last few turns of play...

Stray can you post a current play order, please?

Am I up?

SG[1]

Edit - Sorry - I should of course have said that the RAR loves your turns Dave
Old February 4, 2003, 15:04   #161
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Sorry, SG[1] - I think I did steal your turn. I remembered going after SCG the first round, and assumed I would again. I should have checked the play order first.
Old February 4, 2003, 20:00   #162
Straybow
Emperor

Yes, SG(2), but non-celebration at size 7 isn't common. It takes all red faces with no black faces, or goobs of black faces, in the initial happiness state. Something like that anyway…

Sorry about missing the play order posting. Since I'm not using the std page length I sometimes forget when a new page comes up.
Old February 5, 2003, 08:30   #163
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

So I'm up?

If so will play tomorrow.

SG[1]
Old February 6, 2003, 09:30   #164
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Have now started - probably post Friday.

SG[1]
Old February 7, 2003, 07:19   #165
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Sorry guys - aged mother infestation imminent!
SHMBO has banned me from the study

Won't now get to it before Monday - if anyone is impatient please step in and I will slot back in asap...

SG[1]
Old February 7, 2003, 09:00   #166
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

SG[1]: SHMBO = She who must be obeyed? Shouldn't that be SWMBO, then?
Old February 7, 2003, 10:31   #167
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

What! Who has a W?

Hoops - I mean woops

SG[1]

* thinks * would they buy it I told them I got my keyboard from the White House?
Old February 7, 2003, 10:38   #168
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Quote:
* thinks * would they buy it I told them I got my keyboard from the White House?
I'm surprised an Englishman would know about the "W-challenged" keyboards.
Old February 7, 2003, 13:28   #169
Bloody Monk
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Quote:
What! Who has a W?

Hoops - I mean woops

SG[1]

Brilliant recovery

Condolences and best wishes for a better than expected weekend experience.

Monk
Old February 10, 2003, 03:18   #170
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

OK - I'm back and on it...

SG[1]
Old February 10, 2003, 11:08   #171
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Somewhat in haste
Strategy: Gain Democracy and Lady Liberty
Tactics: Trade and Xin

0820 = Mild Xinning in non-celebrating cities moves tech to 3 turns; Viking Warrior on mountain falls to legion;

Sioux and Vikings sign secret pact against us; Japanese start Sun Tzu's; Vikings sue for peace we say no supported by the senate - war;

0840 = Colosseum in Bilbao; Marketplace in Saragossa -> Aqueduct; Gunpowder -> Democracy, Leo does his stuff ; Aqueduct in Seville -> Temple; Musk kills cat becomes vet; Avila founded; Switch most production to caravans; Still Xinning tech at 4 turns;

Americans develop Bridge Building - note to swap after Demo;

0860 = (oedo year); hut 25g; Beads, Hello-Trondheim, 26g ; Switch cities with MPs to anti Xin to inflate the treasury; still at 4 turns;

Kyoto builds Oracle;

0880 = Copper(d), Central Beach-Bilbao, 50g; nearly there...

Vikings start Magellans

0900 = Wine, Malaga-Izumo, 76g; Gems, Valencia-Izumo, 120g; Science box full!; Science Xinning stops - slider to 20% science - a few meanies;

0920 = Democracy->Steam Engine (was there another choice ); Aqueduct in Saragosa; Bank in Madrid; Bridge Building and maps from Americans; Cities now stable;

0940 = Democracy established - for the moment ; only two cities gave trouble;

0960 = Empire stable and I am out of time so I pass the responsibility...

Madrid has 4 vans in situ and the rest are on the way ...

Played rather hurriedly, but I hope with not too many blunders...

SG[1]

[Edit - formatting]
Attached Files:
File Type: zip fe_a960.zip (21.8 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Scouse Gits; February 10, 2003 at 12:07.
Old February 10, 2003, 23:39   #172
Straybow
Emperor

Found the Americans—good!

STYOM next.
Old February 11, 2003, 07:09   #173
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Self Critique
In an attempt to avoid another lengthy stay at The Institute

Before anyone else points it out - I forgot to demand tribute from everyone when I revolted.

Told you I played rather hurriedly

SG[1]
Old February 11, 2003, 12:14   #174
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

I see the save - I should be able to play by the end of the week.

Not that anyone is in a position to complain about how long it takes

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old February 11, 2003, 22:45   #175
Straybow
Emperor

Old February 13, 2003, 01:31   #176
Straybow
Emperor

Click on link to current play order...
Order restored in Nothin' Fancy
• Zoom to City
o Continue

Straybow
SCG
SG[1]
DaveV
STYOM
Lafayette
SG(2)

Last edited by Straybow; March 3, 2003 at 03:20.
Old February 16, 2003, 09:46   #177
King

960 AD:

STYOM takes over as President, sees quite a few cities celebrating but many without the irrigation to allow further growth. As well, despite being a democracy with several (17, 16, 12, 11) large cities, we only are learning tech at 5 turns per. Priorities are more settlers, university (if in Demo), continued trade, and ideally, explosives.

Some production changed... a few workers moved to prolong celebrations.

Sioux learn Engineering, change production to King Richard from Magellan and complete it. Vikings abandon KRC.

Vikings force us to withdraw units near Kaupang

980 AD: A decision is made to send big shipments of Freight to the Republican Sioux, rather than the backward, Despotic Vikings. Shipchain begins to assemble.

1000: More ship movement.

We have a decision to make about now - Fundy or Demo for 1020? Celebratory growth is pretty much at an end, due to food shortages. We need more Settlers to improve the land. But for celebrating Fundy to work, we need Science via trade - and we have no shipchain set up yet. We stay in Demo for now, and save our Freight that would be needed to build the Statue.

Americans liberate New York from the barbarians. I've been to New York, and I beg to differ, thinks STYOM

Japanese finish Sun Tzu, switch to Magellan.

Vikings sneak attack us, they lose a Chariot and a Legion against our Musketeers

1020: Many Freights built. A decision will have to be made to buy Magellan soon, ere the Japanese build it.

Vikings sacrifice another unit to the Spanish Musketeer god.

1040: Steam Engine discovered; choices are Feudalism and Magnetism... go for Magnetism to lose some of the unhappiness from those Caravels.

To rub salt in Viking wounds, we capture Kaupang plundering 43 g.

Americans declare war on English.

1060: 6 Caravans sail for Sioux lands.

1080: Plans begin for Magellan to sail around the world Science drops to 4/tech, Bilbao at Size23.

1100: Nothing much...

Japanese and English declare war on one another.

1120: Magnetism discovered... choices are Feudalism (no) Railroad (definitely NO) and University (Yes).

We rebuff Viking offers of peace and blow up a Catapult of theirs.

1140: Our greedy eyes turn to Trondheim, a natural 'canal' city

Sioux start Magellan.

1160: Caravans begin to arrive at Sioux lands.

1180: Hides Saragossa>Wounded Knee, 154 g,

1200: University >Chemistry. Magellan's Expedition in Valladolid, Japanese switch production to SoL.

Gems Madrid>Trondheim, 120 g., Wine HelloThere>WoundedKnee 88 g, Salt Bilbao>Wounded Knee 174 g. University rushed in Bilbao with the cash.

Some thoughts: Kind of fell between 2 stools, there - didn't want to lose the science by building SoL and going to Fundy, as I was afraid of losing Magellan that way. As it turned out I needn't have worried. However, at this point, we have lots of options - 6 move/4 carry Galleons along the way to Siouxian lands, 4 'vans to deliver there next turn, and we also are knocking on the door of Trondheim

3 1/2 techs in 12 turns is doing OK, but I suspect my successor will be able to get a lot more than that if he stays in Demo
Attached Files:
File Type: sav fe_a1200.sav (144.5 KB, 6 views)

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old February 16, 2003, 09:56   #178
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
I see the save - I should be able to play by the end of the week.
Luckily I have one of those calendars where the week ends on Sunday

Old February 16, 2003, 11:23   #179
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Good turns [1] and STYOM...though the RAR will be disappointed that STYOM eschewed Fundy

----------------------

SG(2)
Old February 16, 2003, 12:32   #180
King

Quote:
Good turns [1] and STYOM...though the RAR will be disappointed that STYOM eschewed Fundy

----------------------

SG(2)
There was a thought process there

If we went fundy at that point science would have slowed to a crawl - no shipchain in place, nowhere to trade! Plus, around 980 it looked as if we'd have to hurry to get Magellan.

Plus I wanted to grow Bilbao...

And irritating the fundy proponents was just a bonus