Old January 12, 2001, 16:27   #1
shimmin
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Planet and the Charter
Generally being a good boy in single player, I've never found out the hard way, but I was curious.

Does repealing the U.N. Charter cause what were formerly atrocities to no longer incur ecodamage and the resulting wrath of Planet? It doesn't make any sense if it doesn't, but stranger things been coded.
Old January 12, 2001, 16:49   #2
Fitz
King

Local Time: 21:00
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Atrocities almost allways cause eco-damage, regardless of the charter. One exception is Nerve Gassing aliens, which neither causes eco-damage nor upsets the human factions.

All revoking the charter does is stop all of the factions from instantly declaring vendeta on you, and imposing a duration of economic sanctions, if you do a single atrocity.
Old January 12, 2001, 18:06   #3
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Shim,

I've heard of it both ways in actuality and don't really know for sure. My guess is that the tolerance for number of atrocities comitted is much greater in UN charter revoked status.

In fact its even been disputed that gassing aliens at times causes eco damage. If a flag is in place that establsihes gassing aliens, the equivalent of gassing a human faction under revoked UN charter status, this would support the theory that atrocities are much more tolerable to planet in a Charter revoked situation.

My gut says that this holds true so that routine gassing under Charter revoked conditions is tolerable to a certain point. What that point is tho' I haven't the foggiest. As I tend to be atrocity free for the most part I haven't runinto eco damage in these cases.

Also I tend to recall atrocities being broken down into minor and major offenses, wherein atrocities such as nerve stapling, nerve gas, and the probe action that kills of population are considered minor atrocities. While things like PB usage are considered major atrocities for eco damge purposes.

I can't fire up SMAC right now but I don't seem to recall anything inthe datalinks to describe this but perhaps there is something in there.

Og
Old January 12, 2001, 18:09   #4
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Local Time: 00:00
The charter almost eliminates eco damage, are you kidding? In my game I repealed the charter and launched over 50 gas attacks on Sven with no consequence. Maybe my game's a bit messed up - either that or planet likes me
Old January 12, 2001, 19:12   #5
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 22:00
Local Date: October 30, 2010

(or doesn't like Sven ?)

Old January 12, 2001, 19:24   #6
Sindai
Chieftain

It doesn't have much of an effect on PLanet Busters, but revoking the charter makes gassing almost totally ecodamage free....
Old January 12, 2001, 21:38   #7
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Local Time: 00:00
quote:

Originally posted by Googlie on 01-12-2001 06:12 PM

(or doesn't like Sven ?)

Who does?
Old January 12, 2001, 22:43   #8
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 18:00
A point of interest is that if you are the aliens when you gas humans it is not considered an atrocity to the other human factions, so if your the aliens gas all you like.

I was playing a OCC as caretakers and exclusivly used gas attacks, after clearing the entire huge map of planet of life ecodamage was still about 50 in my base (production ~ 150). During the entire game not a single human faction commented about me gassing other humans, I declared war on them anyway, to make it humans vs me

Conslusion: gassing aliens does not cause ecodamage.
Old January 14, 2001, 10:46   #9
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 08:00
The main reason for repealing the charter is that it allows usage of Planet Busters. If, with charter working, you use Planet Buster, all the factions declare Vendetta upon you, you also lose vote in the Council. Anyway, I think it's almost never worth to lose your Pact Brothers and friends, just to blow them up. Normally, I manage to repeal the charter before I build my first buster.
Second, it's nerve stapling. With charter repealed, you can, at wish, scrap and recycle Rec Commons at all bases, thus having nice amount of cash going into your stockpile, and when drone riots start to appear, just nerve staple the rioters. This also gives you the turn advantage, as you no longer need to create infrastructure for drone control purposes.
On the other hand, if others are really terrorizing you with Nerve Gas and perhaps even PBs, you might want to set the charter back in action, to prevent them from using atrocities vs. you.
Note that the Genetic Warfare atrocity by probe teams is a powerful weapon. When trying to reduce enmy population, a couple of probes then is all you need, as two genetic attacks will turn any city in a small one.

------------------
Solver - http://www.aok.20m.com