Old January 30, 2003, 08:32   #31
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 16:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by The Viceroy
Alexnm, no you misunderstood me, There was still only 1 version of code, but several languages catered for , not at install time, at runtime !!! (I am divorcing the code and Languages for the very purpose of making it easy to patch)

We all install the same version, however, we all get to pick what language we would like to see Civ in.

So it would not take any more time producing a patch for this, than it would any version, unless (as I stated) it involved changes to the language files themselves, but that work needs to be complete anyway.
hi ,

, intresting , .....

there are many people who had software conflicts with local version's , however when they bought or changed the version they had to the US english they had no more problems , ......

so how is that to be explained , .....

have a nice day
Old January 30, 2003, 12:17   #32
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 09:35
i don't see why the languages present this much of a problem, couldn't the entire game (including unit labels and everything else) be coded in english, and then have a text file with localized names for everything that needed to be labeled?

i've done this on a smaller scale, but surely it can be done for a game like this.
Old January 30, 2003, 12:27   #33
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 16:35
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
i don't see why the languages present this much of a problem, couldn't the entire game (including unit labels and everything else) be coded in english, and then have a text file with localized names for everything that needed to be labeled?

i've done this on a smaller scale, but surely it can be done for a game like this.
hi ,

, it should work , .....

well , ask Firaxis , you know them very good

but the best would be to keep everything in plain simple US english

there are also troubles with the "local language introduction" versions , .......

this seems to be an english copy with an intro in some scandinavian languages , its full with errors that cause software problems , .......

well at least infogrames does not seems to bother with a refund , .......

have a nice day
Old January 31, 2003, 08:32   #34
The Viceroy
Prince

Local Time: 15:35
UberKruX .. thats exactly what i was suggesting ! Divorcing the code and language, so you don't have to concern yourself with releasing special patches .. I think this is the best way to approach multi-langauge support.

It is true, you could do away with localisation alltogether, and just produce English version, I guess as a software company, you have to make that call .. I still believe in providing language support, if your target is world wide, but where you draw the line is down to cash in the project box.

As for why Firaxis didn't do this ?????? beyond me, I guess like most developers, they did not consider the support implications of their design, its a very very common problem in the IT industry, never mind just Games. I encourage any developer/designer, always ask the question, "How can we best support this" before rubber stamping your idea's .. it will save you soooo much money (and for games coders, it will save you soooo much egg on your face/angry customers).