Old January 17, 2003, 09:16   #1
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Deity Win
Hi All.

I scan the strategic forums on a regular basis trying to learn better ways of winning games.
It took about 6 months to be at a level to comfortably win at Emperor almost every time.

However, I have never been game or good enough to handle Deity

Attached is my latest attempt. I threw in the towel about 2 months ago, and are now revisiting the game.
Tiny map with only 4 civs....I am the Chinese...Original Civ (not PTW)
I have played catch up for the entire game, and have destroyed the Indians from my North.
And have destroyed the Egyptians from the South.
Its only me and the English left. We share the continent.

My question is...is this game still winnable ?
The English are well ahead of me in tech & money.
And we have just declared peace in a war that I played almost exclusively defensively.
I have an unused leader.

I am interested to know what would be the best strategy to even try to attempt to win this game, or is it a lost cause ?

Comments are appreciated.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav newgame99zq.sav (80.8 KB, 8 views)
Old January 17, 2003, 14:55   #2
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It's not a step from emperor to deity, it's a giant leap . I don't anyone can win every game on deity(except Aeson maybe )

I might give it a go
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2003, 19:03   #3
Bangedup
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:36
I couldn't see the attachment for some reason, but I have some suggestions. First if you are doing research then stop. Turn off research completely so you get a good cash flow. Make your government Republic or if you are Democracy then stay that way. Republic will give you enough freedom to make money and will still be somewhat resistant to war. Trade any luxuries for Tech and use your new found income to buy tech. Build markets and banks in all your cities before you build libraries and Universities. You should make enough money to catch up in Tech. Eventually you will have all your banks built and then you can focus on libraries and Universities. Once you get Tech parity you can compete militarily.
Without seeing the attachment it is hard to give military advice, but if you have Military Tradition you can win a war against Riflemen and Infantry. Make sure you concentrate your forces so that you overwhelm a targeted city and also make sure you have enough defensive units close by to defend the captured city.
Remember you don't have to wipe out your enemy to make War worth your while. You can extort more Techs from him after taking a couple cities.
Bangedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2003, 23:21   #4
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

This game is very winable , but you need to do alot more micromanagement though.
Your workers skill needs some improvement, you have way to few btw.
Your only 2 or 3 tech behind, whitch is nothing on deity. Most 8 civ games on deity, I'm a complete era behind before I start catching up.
I wouldn't stop tech research though, there's is no need to do so.
I switched to republic, produced workers and I'm slowly starting to catch up.
I'd say don't give up on this one, finish it/her
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2003, 06:11   #5
Emma
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:36
i know what you mean. so i don't bother with emperor. i went strait to deity - and lost of course. but i knew that all my tactics for monarcy would not work in emperor and i would have to learn new tactics. and then when i play deity i would have to learn more again. so i went strait for deity. and i'm still not winning games at the moment but i'm in second or third place in some games, eventhough i only just started deity a few weeks ago.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2003, 13:44   #6
Bangedup
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:36
I can win at Deity but it just isn't any fun. You don't get any projects until the industrial age and everyone wants to pick on you. The way I win at deity is to build as many cities as I can early on and when I get horseman I go to war with the closest neighbor. I make sure I take a couple of his/cities and I threaten another and sue for peace. I get lots of tech for this and I expand my land area. Then I start another war with whoever is next closest and repeat the process. Since it is early in the game culture flipping is very rare. When I get Republic I switch governments and work on producing more money first and then culture.
Some other tricks are to buy workers from other civs in the early game and plug them into a city that is building a wonder. You can usually get them for about 13 gold.
My current game I am on a peninsula with a 1 square choke point. I built a city there and then declared war on everyone except France. I am playing Greece which IMHO is the best civ with the best unit. Hoplite is good Until Cavalry and will start a Golden Age with a victory. Being that this one city is at a choke point all the civs are attacking it to get through. I produce a leader every couple of turns now and am finally get wonders. Best of all my other cities are rarely threatened except by boat landings.
Bangedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2003, 13:07   #7
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

one way to learn to win on deity is to make a small map where you give each civ one city , try it , ....

the level is only defined by the fact that the AI gets more starting units , the AI gets more units for free he does not have to pay for and the citizens are born content , the later leads to the fact the AI starts to go after means to make them happy , ....

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote