Old January 17, 2003, 11:22   #1
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 15:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Prepoll discussion on a reform of impeachment.

Honourable Senators,

Most of us are now convinced that sanctioning President and Ministers for wrongdoings by impeachment is not adapted to a one month term. But a longer term has already been rejected for quite reasonable reasons. Other forms of punishment, such as forbidding new candidacies, are considered as hurting more the community than punishing the culprits. The only way still opened is to be less radical and more realist.

This is a proposal to adapt our Constitution to the above remarks:

1. The impeachment applies only to the judges.
2. The citizens can still raise a case against a President or a Minister in the frame of ordinary laws for personal detriment resulting from their action in official duties.
3. The Senate has power to decide, not the removal, but the suspension from office for moderate but immediate measures of conservation, according to the following scale :
- suspension for one turnchat (all other powers unchanged)
- suspension of all powers (including turnchat if any) for 3 days
- suspension of all powers (including turchats) for one week
During the suspension, the President duties are performed by the VP

The first two points require an amendment.

The third could be seen as a simple adaptation of the powers granted to the Senate for controlling the Cabinet.
Old January 17, 2003, 16:17   #2
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 16:36
Re: Prepoll discussion on a reform of impeachment.
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVOUT

Honourable Senators,

Most of us are now convinced that sanctioning President and Ministers for wrongdoings by impeachment is not adapted to a one month term. But a longer term has already been rejected for quite reasonable reasons. Other forms of punishment, such as forbidding new candidacies, are considered as hurting more the community than punishing the culprits. The only way still opened is to be less radical and more realist.

This is a proposal to adapt our Constitution to the above remarks:

1. The impeachment applies only to the judges.
2. The citizens can still raise a case against a President or a Minister in the frame of ordinary laws for personal detriment resulting from their action in official duties.
3. The Senate has power to decide, not the removal, but the suspension from office for moderate but immediate measures of conservation, according to the following scale :
- suspension for one turnchat (all other powers unchanged)
- suspension of all powers (including turnchat if any) for 3 days
- suspension of all powers (including turchats) for one week

The first two points require an amendment.

The third could be seen as a simple adaptation of the powers granted to the Senate for controlling the Cabinet.
hi ,

great go nuts , .......

very soon we cant play anymore because we have to read first before every turn a twenty page list of things we can do and we cant , .....

in real live the US con is no more then a small booklet with ten pages , ..... our con is allready approx. four times bigger , .....

have a nice day
Old January 17, 2003, 16:37   #3
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 10:36
I think this is a good idea in general.

Quote:
And if the VP is also impeached? Then does it go down the chain of command?
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old January 17, 2003, 16:55   #4
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 06:36
Re: Re: Prepoll discussion on a reform of impeachment.
Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

great go nuts , .......

very soon we cant play anymore because we have to read first before every turn a twenty page list of things we can do and we cant , .....

in real live the US con is no more then a small booklet with ten pages , ..... our con is allready approx. four times bigger , .....

have a nice day

Panag, I don't know where you get your numbers :P Just for the hell of it I decided to look it up. I found a complete copy of the US Constitution online and a copy of our own constitution. I selected all the text from each one and made it the same size (Arial 10) and removed all formatting.

The US Constitution is 16 pages in length and contains 37,017 characters. The constitution of Apolytonia is only 8 pages in length (including amendments) and contains 21,563 characters. We have a ways to go my friend

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
Old January 17, 2003, 17:14   #5
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 16:36
Re: Re: Re: Prepoll discussion on a reform of impeachment.
Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteBandit

Panag, I don't know where you get your numbers :P Just for the hell of it I decided to look it up. I found a complete copy of the US Constitution online and a copy of our own constitution. I selected all the text from each one and made it the same size (Arial 10) and removed all formatting.

The US Constitution is 16 pages in length and contains 37,017 characters. The constitution of Apolytonia is only 8 pages in length (including amendments) and contains 21,563 characters. We have a ways to go my friend
hi ,

the little booklet , not online contains 641 words , .....

have a nice day
Old January 17, 2003, 17:45   #6
Nimitz
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG LegolandNever Ending StoriesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 09:36
maybe your talking about the decleration of indpendance
Old January 17, 2003, 18:23   #7
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Panag,

You are not obliged to participate in a prepoll discussion if you are not interested.

If you participate, at least read the first port and try to understand it. Here we are attempting to simplify, not to add complexity.

And also be sure that reference to the US constitution is not an argument; it does not demonstrate anything : we are no more in the US than in real life.

I am always surprised to hear all those direct or indirect criticisms against a constitution voted triumphally at 92%. Did you read it before voting ?
Old January 18, 2003, 03:25   #8
DAVOUT
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Panzer32
I think this is a good idea in general.

And if the VP is also impeached? Then does it go down the chain of command?
This unlikely, although not impossible, situation is not created by the reform.
Old January 20, 2003, 00:55   #9
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 06:36
This idea seems more real to me than what the process is now. This amendment will be called to task on occasion.

As you likely realize I have real issues of accountability with current con. This would at least provid a first step in "dicipline" for offences without the court being always involved.

Mss