Old January 26, 2003, 02:47   #31
Sperricles
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.
Returning to context
Many of you have critiqued the strategies I mention from a SP Deity, huge map point of view, which has its place of course. This is simply a reminder that if you check my original post, you will notice that the context of discussion is intended primarily for the MP environment where the reality of game play is tiny/small maps, regent level, no AI's, unpredictable human strategies, and games that rarely last to the middles ages, and often playing with elimination mode enabled.

While there certainly is a place for discussion for Carthage in Single Player mode, this may not be the most appropriate place. Since the contexts of play are entirely different, instead of continuing with contradictory posts about 2 completely different bodies of theory, it might be a better idea to create a thread entitled (Carthage in the SP environment) to discuss the arguments tangential to the primary MP focus of this thread.
Old January 26, 2003, 11:54   #32
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:37
Sperricles, my comments just above your post were made with a Small map and MP framework in mind. There is actually a lot of difference between Tiny map and Small map strategy.

Denying the later-game potential of Carthage by saying that MP games do not last long may be natural considering your personal experience, but is certainly not applicable across the board. I believe you're not addressing the builder potential of civs in Civ3 in general.

Dominae
Old January 26, 2003, 12:20   #33
Sperricles
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:37
Location: Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
I believe you're not addressing the builder potential of civs in Civ3 in general.

Dominae
Admittedly, I have not focused as much on the builder potential of civs (specifically Carthage).....very true....mainly because I typically end up confronting Carthage as they come to war with me. Others (Swissy in particular) may be more able to provide insight there than I can, and I certainly welcome it.