Old January 14, 2001, 17:58   #1
Sem
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Terranx.ICD What is it, what does it do?
As I have stated previously, I've never gotten through a game of smacx because it always crashes. Always! I have tried all the suggestions posed on this board, and all the recommendations in Firaxis' instruction book. The crashes are caused 99% of the time by an air unit, usually prepartory to an attack. The details of the crash are always the same: "Terranx caused an invalid page fault in module Terranx.ICD @ 0177:004bf973. Are there any computer engineers, computer programmers, or computer wizards who can help? I wpold be very appreciative of help. The one place I know I can't go for help is Firaxis. Isn't that a joke!
Old January 14, 2001, 19:48   #2
stuntman19
Prince

Are you using a wheel mouse or any anti-viral software by chance? These are fairly common conflicting devices that give terranx problems. You might try removing or shutting these down when you play if you have them. Display on 800 x 600 pixels is probably the way to go and 32 bit. If non of this helps try reinstalling the game and patch and see if that helps. You may have a buggy version of terranx and could replace it with a new version from a friends game. Anyway, I'll try and check back and see what the skinny is.
Old January 14, 2001, 21:24   #3
Sem
Chieftain

Stunman19, thanks. I have a logitech with a wheel, but the wheel function is kept off. I have a anti-virus program [MaAfee], but I don't let that program run in the background. As far as setting the resolution to 800x600, I know I can adjust that with the monitor, or is it better to do it through smacx? I assume there is a setting in the Alpha.ini file that will allow me to do that. Look forward to your next reply. I never thought of a buggy terranxICD. file. It might be worth while to buy a new copy of smacx if I can find one. What do you think? Thanks.
Old January 14, 2001, 21:27   #4
Sem
Chieftain

Suntman19, I forgot to ask you: what do you mean by going "32bit." And, how do I find out what "bit" my machine is doing. I use W98 with 128 ram if that helps you answer the question. Thanks again.
Old January 14, 2001, 21:56   #5
stuntman19
Prince

Go into control panel\display\settings and you should be able to set the pixels at 800 x 600. To set the real mode drivers at 32 go into control panel\system\performance and the file systems line should read 32 bit. If all this is ok and you still are having crashes it may still be the wheel mouse software is not compatible with direct draw. Do you have an e-mail as sometimes I have periods where I can't get on here much. I'll try and get in here one more time tonight and the e-mail route might help find the problem faster.
Old January 14, 2001, 22:45   #6
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 00:00
Check the "pentium IV" thread too. That solution may help. It solved my terran crashes.
Old January 15, 2001, 09:28   #7
Aredhran
Prince

Local Time: 06:00
Sem, I have a logitech mouse also.

Turning off the wheel function is not enough. You need to press CTRL-ALT-DEL, then kill the task called "EM_EXEC" to get rid of the wheel software.

That usually does the trick for me as far as the crash goes when interceptors scramble.

Aredhran
Old January 16, 2001, 12:02   #8
fluffy
Warlord

An alternative approach is to 'surf' the crashes with something like Norton Crashguard, which allows you to
keep on playing regardless!
[This message has been edited by fluffy (edited January 16, 2001).]