Old January 17, 2003, 18:49   #1
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 10:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How technologically adroit/inept are your parents?
My dad is okay with stuff he's learned to do by routine (like MS word, email, search engines, that sort of stuff.) He knows how to delete files, and he understands the concepts of "folders" and using different drives. He is still working on the concept of "downloading."

My mom can access MS Word (because I put an icon for it on the desktop) and she can type. Period. To give you an idea of how helpless she is, she centers titles for things she writes by pressing space bar until it looks right.

I brought this subject up because my dad just paid $50 to get a CD copied twice. Both my sister and I have CD RW drives.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old January 17, 2003, 19:20   #2
reds4ever
Prince

Local Time: 15:38
thats nothing, my old man calls me up when the batteries in the TV remote run out (i kid you not) thinking the TV is broke ( this has happened more than once), it's not is if he's losing it or old (well he's 60, not senile and has got a great maths brain) it's just he retired in 1990 JUST before you needed know more than just how to opperate your brain and a pen

He still doesn't quite 'get' who i'm 'talking' too when my phones engaged when he calls. ie i'm on the internet
Old January 17, 2003, 19:26   #3
reds4ever
Prince

Jag

i think you hit the nail on the head with the term 'to do by routine', some oldies can't seem to make the logical leaps that seem obvious to us. give it 40 years we'll be in their shoes but with different technology
Old January 17, 2003, 19:27   #4
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 08:38
My mom is totally clueless with the stuff.

My dad I'd classify as "above average". He can reformat drives, reinstall windows, troubleshoot, set up a home theatre, etc.
Old January 17, 2003, 19:32   #5
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 09:38
My parents are pre-computer. Both are past 75. Even though my father was an engineer and analytical math type of person, he won't even consider trying a computer. He worked in a mechanical and electrical world, not an electronic one. If it doesn't operate in a tangible physical manner, he is lost at sea.

But even my brothers and sisters are computer-illiterate. One can do email and word-processing, but she wouldn't even dream of trying to use a spreadsheet.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old January 17, 2003, 19:33   #6
reds4ever
Prince

asher

anyone above 40 who isn't int he IT business and feels confident formating and installing windows is doing pretty good IMO
Old January 17, 2003, 19:36   #7
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by reds4ever
asher

anyone above 40 who isn't int he IT business and feels confident formating and installing windows is doing pretty good IMO
A long long time ago (with our 386) he was the computer guy in the family. I've taken over the role.

He's been using computers since the late 70s, so he's doin alright...
Old January 17, 2003, 19:37   #8
reds4ever
Prince

heres one for you all....

a 27 year old friend of mine (ie not senile) moved housed just before christmas, the guy asked me weather his incoming emails would still be going to his old house address!
Old January 17, 2003, 19:37   #9
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

My mom can work with FTP to update her website, deal with Windows fairly adeptly, and play games. My dad uses a computer at work, but other than that he doesn't really use one around home.
Old January 17, 2003, 19:48   #10
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

My dad's an electrical engineer, so he's pretty adept at technological mumbo-jumbo by necessity (though he doesn't much care for computers -- when I said that I was going to major in computer science, he rolled his eyes and said "Why don't you become a real engineer instead?). My mom's mostly clueless, partly due to technical ineptness (math etc. was always her weakest point in college and beyond), but primarily from lack of trying (why bother learning computers when there're three engineers in the house? Or two-and-a-half, depending on who you ask).

My Grandpa did pretty well to learn computers for being a 80-year-old who never used a computer up until five-or-ten years ago (he was a mechanical engineer, but he stuck to slide rules and let the "propellor heads" handle the mainframes). My Grandma's pretty hopeless, but she's also the stubbornest person alive, and doesn't know how to deal with something that is even more inflexible than she is.
Old January 17, 2003, 20:29   #11
Ishtar
Settler

My parents won't touch 'em. When I got a new one last year, I gave them my old one. It's still sitting there..not even plugged into the wall.

I tried to get my mom to play Solitaire on one in a store once...she's scared to death she's gonna break it.

But...hey...what can I expect...they don't have cable tv... and won't even let me "give" them an answering machine for the phone.
Old January 17, 2003, 20:37   #12
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
heres one for you all....

a 27 year old friend of mine (ie not senile) moved housed just before christmas, the guy asked me weather his incoming emails would still be going to his old house address!
Technological stupidity is evidently not limited to the senile. LOL! That one made my day...

Um, maybe you should have told him that he needs to bring his computer over to the old address and set it up there once a week to get his email. Think of all the hilarity you missed out on!

Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old January 17, 2003, 20:42   #13
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
asher

I'm not in the IT business and I'm over 40. I'm not too sure about installing operating systems, but I've never met an application I couldn't wrestle to the ground in about a week.
Old January 17, 2003, 21:01   #14
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 14:38
My mom is clueless.

My dad was a complete geek, and a high-school computer teacher. I've been using computers since I've been about 4 years old because of him. I'm not so sure I'm happy about that, though.

Do It Ourselves
Old January 17, 2003, 21:19   #15
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear

Technological stupidity is evidently not limited to the senile. LOL! That one made my day...

Um, maybe you should have told him that he needs to bring his computer over to the old address and set it up there once a week to get his email. Think of all the hilarity you missed out on!

youre right, i didn't think of that, as soon as i started laughing at him he realized it was a stupid question..if only i could have kept a poker face....
Old January 17, 2003, 21:23   #16
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 07:38
My grandpa is approaching 90, can type, move and delete files, and play games. He's still competitive in setting high scores in Tetris.

My mom is close to 60 and uses computer for her work every day. Word, Excel, Email, and watching DVDs are her most common computer tasks. She even knows how to run simple Unix commands.

My dad only knows how to surf the web and use simple Word and Excel features.
Old January 17, 2003, 21:26   #17
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

My mother crashes her computer every damn month after installing all her stupid stuff on it
My father doesn't even know how to switch on a computer
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old January 17, 2003, 21:26   #18
Caesar the Great
Emperor

my mom has a hard time operating an electric stove
Old January 17, 2003, 23:53   #19
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

my dad works for the lotus division of ibm, he's pretty adept, and much more knowledgable than I.
My mom uses the computer for pretty standard things - email, typing, internet news, etc.
My sister is about the same as me, only a little less resourceful.
Albert Speer
Old January 18, 2003, 00:49   #20
KrazyHorse
Deity

My father can click on icons and install things if there's a step-by-step setup process. He uses email and the modem to receive faxes on his computer. Can use a search engine adequately. Other than that he's pretty useless at it.

My mother is a mess. She can't even type faster than 3 or 4 words a minute (that's a serious estimate). Never mind actually opening Word herself...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old January 18, 2003, 00:50   #21
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Caesar the Great
my mom has a hard time operating an electric stove
Same here. When you get to the subject of the remote control, the VCR and the TV/VCR input selection button she's completely lost...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old January 18, 2003, 00:58   #22
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

In order to help my mom out with our home entertainment system, my brother and I devised a really stupid naming scheme for the controllers as a joke.

We said stuff like:
"We SHAW it on TV" --> The remote with the Shaw logo on it is for the TV
"PIONEERS use soundto capture their prey" --> The remote with the Pioneer logo on it is for the audio receiver.

It was so utterly stupid it stuck in her head, and to this day that's how she remembers what remote does what...

On how to operate the DVD player and the VCR, I printed out a "task list" step-by-step explaining how to do it.
Old January 18, 2003, 01:34   #23
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Mom, who is in her late 50s, uses the computer fairly well, even though she is practically on a first name basis with the HP support people. She writes letters, organizes things, uses quicken and online investment services, and make us all these nice personalized calenders every year. She also has no problem programming a VCR. All this from a high school grad who insists she isn't technologically savvy. Coulda fooled me...

My Dad is a chemical engineer who worked with (programmed) a few mainframes in the seventies, and has worked with databases, spreadsheets, email, etc. in the course of his business.

That said, eight years after I bought them a component stereo system, he still can't figure out the remote.

"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 18, 2003, 02:00   #24
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
My parents are way above average compared to others here. My dad set up our first home network, installs OS's (even back in the DOS days), uses the internet, etc. He used to even program in basic. He doesn't know quite as much as me, but then he isn't in IT.

My mum is less adept, but is known at the hospital she works at as the "computer expert". She understands files and folders on different drives, uses email, the web, icq. She even can do limited troubleshooting when things go wrong (ie: the program isn't working, reset the computer). Not bad at all.
Old January 18, 2003, 02:38   #25
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

My dad's an unretired electrical engineer, so he knows an unusal amount about working with computer interfaces relative to most people his age (pushing 60). I know he can use programs like Mathematica, which require fairly adept intuition about how to work with computers.

My mom knows basically nothing about computer interfaces. I have to explain to her, step by step, how to use her e-mail program every once and a while. She hasn't figured out how to program the VCR either.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old January 18, 2003, 02:43   #26
David Floyd
Emperor

Well, I'm OK with computers in the sense that I'm good with the Internet, I can install/uninstall/format, etc., and do basic troubleshooting, not to mention run most common programs and play games, but I'm totally useless for most other electronic/electrical stuff. I'm totally useless in terms of programming TVs or remotes, messing with the wires behind the TV, stuff like that.
Old January 18, 2003, 02:44   #27
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

My mom is pretty good (above average). She knows how to use Windows fine, word, the internet, etc. She also knows not to click anything when the virus warning goes off.

My dad is a computer programmer for United, and he knows more about computers than anyone else I know...
Old January 18, 2003, 02:54   #28
cia
Prince

My mom's last job was as a key punch card creator (enough said). My dad designed systems like the current US Post Office (macro scale) but couldn't really program. Just dealt with large computing systems.