Old January 17, 2003, 19:21   #1
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 06:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Pre-poll discussion - German War
As I stated in my campaign for SMC, I will ask of the nation to state their preferences and opinions regarding how far we take the war into the heart of Germany.

We have several options available to us:

1.) We take all of Germany, leaving no trace left of the German Empire other than the workers and nationals remaining.

2.) We continue the war until a certain objective is secure; for example, capturing all German cities up until Nurembourg (which we of course could lower the population and flip chance by bombarding it down to a very low population)

3.) We end the war now, or very soon.

More options and decisions I encourage the Senate to discuss....

Meshelic
SMC Elect
Old January 17, 2003, 20:37   #2
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:38
Our original intention was to remove Germany as a threat to our domination of the scientific arena. With that objective achieved, we can end the war.
We may want to capture a few more German cities (e.g. as Meshelic suggested, all the cities up until Nuremburg) and/or inflict more losses upon the German armies, before we end this war. I for one am leaning in favor of option #2, but I'll wait for the senate to voice its opinions before I make any official decisions on this matter.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old January 17, 2003, 20:45   #3
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Keep in mind that we are now at war with the Japanese as well too.

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
Old January 17, 2003, 21:42   #4
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

We can get Breman in the peace deal...
Old January 17, 2003, 22:18   #5
CiverDan
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Lux InvictaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Roleplay
Prince

Local Time: 09:38
We should at least take/raze and rebuild leipzig. We have plenty of units there already and we have the Japan war to help wih War Weariness for 5 more turns. We need to wait for MPP's to expire anyhow....
Old January 17, 2003, 22:29   #6
aleion
NationStatesCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy Game
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by CiverDan
We should at least take/raze and rebuild leipzig. We have plenty of units there already and we have the Japan war to help wih War Weariness for 5 more turns. We need to wait for MPP's to expire anyhow....

Ambassador to Legoland on the Lux Invicta Team
Member of: Team Lux Invicta (PTW Demo Game)
Old January 17, 2003, 22:33   #7
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I say we take all of germany simply because at this stage ww will be too high to finish out the alliance easily. So we should try to finish them quickly.
Aggie
Old January 17, 2003, 22:47   #8
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 08:38
We simply need to continue against Germany until the alliances end in 1370 or they are eliminated, whichever comes first.
Old January 17, 2003, 22:57   #9
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by roadcage
We simply need to continue against Germany until the alliances end in 1370 or they are eliminated, whichever comes first.
This is the sensible option, in my opinion.

(I seem to agree with roadcage a lot, even when everyone else disagrees )
Old January 17, 2003, 22:58   #10
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

Local Time: 10:38
Heck no! We won't go! :hippy:
Old January 17, 2003, 23:03   #11
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I hereby order Thud be sent to the front of the Front....and put an officer's hat on him for those German sharpshooters....

Damn hippies! hehe

j/k
Old January 17, 2003, 23:26   #12
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic
I hereby order Thud be sent to the front of the Front....and put an officer's hat on him for those German sharpshooters....

Damn hippies! hehe

j/k
Unfortunately, due to Thud's rather senior age as a citizen of Apolyton, he couldn't pass the physical for military service.

He's also a Senator, which exempts him from the draft
Old January 17, 2003, 23:32   #13
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 08:38
Quote:
Keep in mind that we are now at war with the Japanese as well too.
The Japaneese war, while not as phoney as the Zulu war, is phoney none the less.

Me thinks that Shaka is pleased with this development because he has heard rumors of our boat building campaign and wants to get himself off of the top of our enemies list.
Old January 17, 2003, 23:45   #14
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

I dunno, is SMC a civilian or military title? If military, then as former SMC I can still be activated as part of the reserves. If civilian, then Mesh has no authority to activate or order officers around. Either way, I'm exempt.

You know, most of us are probably no more than piles of dust. We're probably all dead and don't realize it yet, so we continue to think that we're still Senators. No wonder nobody has called for Senate elections the past couple hundred years
Old January 17, 2003, 23:49   #15
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Thud
I dunno, is SMC a civilian or military title? If military, then as former SMC I can still be activated as part of the reserves. If civilian, then Mesh has no authority to activate or order officers around. Either way, I'm exempt.

You know, most of us are probably no more than piles of dust. We're probably all dead and don't realize it yet, so we continue to think that we're still Senators. No wonder nobody has called for Senate elections the past couple hundred years
For the same reason the RP team has debated the same issue regarding our characters, it's just more sensible to keep our personae around for centuries than to constantly be resurrecting new characters.

As for you and being pulled away to war, no government in its right mind would allow its Senators to be dragged off to military service on the front lines. Members and officials of the government are exempt from military service (unless they quit to go join the military).

That said, there are precedents throughout RL history of Senators or other legislators of various historical legislatures running off to be politician-generals in wars (to gain fame and hero status) while still retaining their seats in the legislature (though not sitting in them while on campaigns).

As for you, specifically, I fully expect that you resigned your commission (or are free to do so at any time) and are safety retired as well as being a member of the Senate (and thus exempt already).

So no worries, you can be as much of a hippy as you want to be. God knows a lot of other retired generals have done the same in RL

Old January 18, 2003, 00:24   #16
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by roadcage
Couldn't have said it better myself. (And I probably would have said it a lot worse. )
Old January 18, 2003, 00:39   #17
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I agree, we only need to work on Lepzig and the MPP's will be over (3 turns from now). With 1 turn to move all the Arts into Position, and 2 turns pounding Lepzig, we can take it and leave Germany to the rest of our Allies.

IF Germany Survives to the end of this War, we won't have to worry about any Panzers, as they will not have the capability to produce enough of them to bother us. It will be like that resent Japanese Threat, we Yawn at their attempts, then kill them for their insolance.

So what if Germany does survive, we can out produce them with just 3 of our 50 Cities. They would die a quick death, if they did.

E_T
Old January 18, 2003, 02:49   #18
Meshelic
King

Quote:
Originally posted by E_T

IF Germany Survives to the end of this War, we won't have to worry about any Panzers, as they will not have the capability to produce enough of them to bother us. It will be like that resent Japanese Threat, we Yawn at their attempts, then kill them for their insolance.

E_T
Sounds like a solid plan to me...

And Thud take no heed of my threats, although I doubt you did at all. I would not send one of our Senators to do battle (except for maybe Donegeal who seems to crave the stuff of war; he's even still wearing his ancient knight's battle armor!).

You are safe from being conscipted...
Old January 18, 2003, 07:42   #19
Meshelic
King

Okay back on topic. I will post an "opinion" poll (not a Bill mind you) for suggestion by the Senate on how to carry out our war effort into Germany, complete with options.

Speaking of which, are there any particular options beyond my original statements that anyone would care to see posted?

So far it will be

Yay
Nay
Abstain

on 1. Overrun and capture all of Germany
2. Stop fighting after we reach a certain goal, such as a strategic resource (all they have is iron now, I think), or just before a particular city? (like Nurembourg)
3. Peace now!

any other choices you'd all like to see posted there?
Old January 18, 2003, 08:32   #20
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 14:38
The game is nearly over. We are going to win. Now lets, just for a second, imagine we want to get it overwith and go for a Diplomatic victory. All civs still around get to pick one of the top two civs. The top two civ right now, is Japan and us. If we leave Germany around, who do you think Otto would vote for? Leaving the Germans around hinders our efforts to win the game in a timely manor.

FINISH OTTO!
Old January 18, 2003, 11:51   #21
aleion
NationStatesCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy Game
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal
The game is nearly over. We are going to win. Now lets, just for a second, imagine we want to get it overwith and go for a Diplomatic victory. All civs still around get to pick one of the top two civs. The top two civ right now, is Japan and us. If we leave Germany around, who do you think Otto would vote for? Leaving the Germans around hinders our efforts to win the game in a timely manor.

FINISH OTTO!

Ambassador to Legoland on the Lux Invicta Team
Member of: Team Lux Invicta (PTW Demo Game)
Old January 18, 2003, 15:27   #22
Meshelic
King

I may not even have to post a poll if a very blatant majority of people here wish us to finish Otto off....
Old January 18, 2003, 15:42   #23
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

WE have 8 more turns of war (minimum) due to our alliances. We are commited for the duration of teh treaties to fight (or at least be at war). We need to continualy press the germans hard, taking every city possible untill then ... If we still have one or two turns after the alliances expire to finish them off, by all means lets do it. It will be a drop in the bucket. Anabanana Major will be a better place without Germany.

I do support making peace with Rome within the next 4 or 5 turns (after canceling the MPPs). This should help bolster our forces against any annoying Japanese.

Mss

[edit] grammar and spelling
Old January 18, 2003, 15:46   #24
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic
I may not even have to post a poll if a very blatant majority of people here wish us to finish Otto off....
You certainly don't need to post a poll, but it wouldn't hurt.