View Poll Results: What should be done with Na'rmer, our latest Great Leader?
Rush Wall Street 9 25.71%
Move Palace (back to Apolyton) 3 8.57%
Move Palace (near Aztec cities) 0 0%
Make another Army 9 25.71%
Rush Military Academy 2 5.71%
Save him for a Modern Wonder (especially U.N. to prevent Diplomatic victories) 10 28.57%
Disband him! 1 2.86%
Abstain 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 17, 2003, 22:02   #1
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
UNofficial: Options for Na'rmer (before a bill)
This is an unofficial poll for selecting what the leading options are for what to do with our new Great Leader, Na'rmer.

Bills based upon leading options can then be sponsored by members of the Senate.

Hopefully, it won't take TOO LONG to get down to a single option with at least 50%+1 support.

The options:

1. Rush Wall Street
2. Move Palace (back to Apolyton)
3. Move Palace (near Aztec cities)
4. Make another Army
5. Rush Military Academy
6. Save Him for a Modern Wonder (especially U.N. to prevent Diplomatic Victories)
7. Disband him!
8. Abstain
Old January 17, 2003, 22:07   #2
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I haven't voted yet... I'm thinking either:

1. Wall Street
2. Save him for the U.N.

Army makes no sense because once we build Military Academy, we can just BUILD armies.

Military Academy doesn't make sense because the current plan is to build Military Academy quickly in Ferropolis after the Iron Works and have that city pump out armies naturally w/o help from a GL.

Despite the fact that I hate that the palace moved to Macross City, moving it back to Apolyton is as much of a waste of a GL as moving it to Macross City was.

Personally, it's either Wall Street (though we could be build that anyhow) or United Nations (which means we forgo more GL's for a while, but is strategically CRITICAL).
Old January 17, 2003, 22:07   #3
MJW
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Already?
Old January 17, 2003, 22:13   #4
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 08:39
We have any number of cities that can build a small wonder easily so Wall Street is not attractive.

The Mil Academy is planned for Ferropolis and is busy

I assume the Palace options and disbanding are jokes.

Normally, I would say saving a leader is foolish, but since there really aren't many good things to do maybe it's ok

But a second army seems like the only realistic option. I know Ferropoolis will pop 'em out like hotcakes, but there are many prebuilds in Ferroppolis before MA

Ssgt roadcage (retired)
Old January 17, 2003, 22:34   #5
CiverDan
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Lux InvictaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Roleplay
Prince

Rushing Wall Street: No reason too. With cities with good production and factories, we can build it in 7-9 turns.

Moving Palace: It is fine where it is, once our core citise get courthouse/police stations(where needed) some of which has already been done, a very high percentage of our cities will have only nuisance corruption levels.

Rush Military Academy: It makes no sense to build this anyways else than Ferropolis. We will be able to get it built there in 12-15 turns and will turn out more armies in the long run (i.e. double the rate of any other city).

Save him: If we do we lose the chance to get another GL for many turns. I would only support this if the wasr were going to end with 1-3 turns, which will not happen do to MPP's remember: Ferropolis, with worker reinegration and neccessary improvements will pump out 160+ shields per turn by time UN is available. With Palace pre-build, it wont take long to build it there.

Army: Only real option. Means one less Ferropolis has to built to obtain pentagon. Making it even an even better place to built the UN.
Old January 17, 2003, 23:35   #6
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 10:39
This poll should allow multiple answers

E_T
Old January 17, 2003, 23:41   #7
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

I have thought and thought and thought about this and have finally come up with a good reason to wait for UN.

It is many turns away, and since we really don't need any more GL's, this would ensure that we would not be cursed with another for a long time.
Old January 17, 2003, 23:42   #8
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by E_T
This poll should allow multiple answers

E_T
No it shouldn't. THe whole point is to NARROW DOWN the options so that we only have a few left. If we let eveyrone pick more than one, they will... and we'll never narrow them down to one dominant option.
Old January 17, 2003, 23:43   #9
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by roadcage
I have thought and thought and thought about this and have finally come up with a good reason to wait for UN.

It is many turns away, and since we really don't need any more GL's, this would ensure that we would not be cursed with another for a long time.
This is the best idea I've heard in a long time
Old January 18, 2003, 00:03   #10
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Is everyone sure that we can only have one great leader at a time? Somehow, I thought the limit was three at a time; saw it in one of the strategy forums.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old January 18, 2003, 00:29   #11
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Personally, I'm waiting for another Roadcage story about the Generation of our latest GL.

E_T
Old January 18, 2003, 00:37   #12
Arnelos
Emperor

Ok, I've voted to save him for the U.N. Regardless of whether we can get another GL or not, I have little use for another GL. The Military Academy can build armies and the GL can rush the U.N. the moment we discover Fission (rather than waiting for it to be built).
Old January 18, 2003, 01:03   #13
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Quote:

Yes, please!!!!! No more GLs! The game is going slow enough without these stoppages. Also relieves the SMC from obsessing about elite unit usage in battle.

Keep him!
Old January 18, 2003, 02:42   #14
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 14:39
Place move.... don't be silly.
Army...The war is winding down. We have no immediate need for armies at this time. Let Ferropolis do its job.
Save him for the UN... We are excellent planers. We have just completed our first standard production wonder. We have proven to ourselves and to the world that the production bonuses given to the AI at this level of play have been defeated. We can plan on building the UN now in one of our "complete" cities. With our tech lead, and planing, we can build the UN the same turn we develope Fission.

Rush MA... again, let Ferropolis do its job. The Iron Works will be done in what? 4, maybe 5 turns? Less? MA will take almost no time once IW is done (come on, Grassland/hill city with Factory, Hydro and Iron Works? Its a monster by itself!)

That leaves only two possibilities (IMO):
Rush Wall Street. Yes we can build this at any time as it is a small wonder, but for every turn we don't have it, its a possible 50 L down the drain. If we want to let some city build it on its own, it will take a minimum of about 7 turns (and only if we can start on it right away). Thats 350L.... ok, so that is not that much.... on to the last one.

Rush Intel Agency in Apolyton! With the palace gone, lets bring back some respectability to our Classical Capital!

Hmmm.... not an option... oh well...
Old January 18, 2003, 06:39   #15
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:39
Wall Street is the wisest option. If we don't rush Wall Street now, we waste 50 gold every turn until it is built.
The rest can be built any time, and we don't have to worry about being outrun to the U.N. wonder... don't be silly.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old January 18, 2003, 11:44   #16
roadcage
Prince

Quote:
Wall Street is the wisest option. If we don't rush Wall Street now, we waste 50 gold every turn until it is built.
The rest can be built any time, and we don't have to worry about being outrun to the U.N. wonder... don't be silly.
How sad. And Wall Street cannot be built anytime as well? Is there some hidden in-game limitation I am missing here?

No there is not. We can build Wall Street any time we want in a large number of cities. Some could build it in as few as 6 turns which effectively values Na'rmer at (6-1)*50/turn Lytons or 250 Lytons. Disbanding Na'rmer on the otherhand would produce 100 shields or the gold equivalent of 400 Lytons. So clearly, disbanding Na'rmer for shields would be superior to wasting him on Wall Street. And everybody recognizes disbanding is foolish.

So how could atleast 6 otherwise sophisticated players actually vote for such nonesense?

I do not know. Unless these 6 have recognized that it is the only thing besides an Army that can be done immediate and their aversion for things military prevent them from making that selection.

And it bothers me so.

Ssgt roadcage (retired)
Old January 18, 2003, 12:05   #17
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I say use him for an Army, the Army can always be disbanded for shields and it allows the opportunity to generate another GL.
Old January 18, 2003, 12:37   #18
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
How sad. And Wall Street cannot be built anytime as well? Is there some hidden in-game limitation I am missing here?
There's really no room for arrogance in here.

Quote:
No there is not. We can build Wall Street any time we want in a large number of cities.
Quote:
I do not know. Unless these 6 have recognized that it is the only thing besides an Army that can be done immediate...
Okay, then let's create an army now and start building WS in Macross City next turn, after its current build is done.
It makes little difference to me. I voted for creating an army and keeping it empty until Modern Armor on the previous poll. The only reason I voted WS is because keeping the GL was getting a lot of votes and WS had some votes too, so I preferred this option over the wasteful "let's sit on the GL" option. Now that I see that the army option has gotten many votes as well, I might change my vote to army shortly before the poll ends, should the army option have a better chance to win this poll.

Quote:
...and their aversion for things military prevent them from making that selection.
Geez, you don't have to make a peacenic out of me. You really need to chill.
- Phantom of the Opera

Last edited by Shiber; January 18, 2003 at 13:00.
Old January 18, 2003, 16:51   #19
roadcage
Prince

Quote:
Personally, I'm waiting for another Roadcage story about the Generation of our latest GL.
This one is hard to write because it is so similar to the story of Mentuhotep. Someone called for a story of the sufferers of Hamburg, and while I wanted to obligue, the words wouldn't flow. Now with the situation so similar at Frankfurt, lets look at the battle from the eyes of a scared little girl.

roleplay

Another turn of shelling. What is it now, the 4th turn in a row? A tired and frightened little frauline kinder knelt down next to her father and grasped his hand firmly.

"Pater, what shall we do? Frankfurt was so grand and cultured just 4 turns ago and now we hide like rats amongst the rubble of our former cathedral."

"We must hide Margo. We must hide from both our liberators and our current oppressors. The blame is not ours, simple working volks who must do what the Reichtstag directs, or face an inquisition."

"But Pater, why is this so?"

"I cannot speak for the Reichstag, but as for me, I wish a pox unto the house of Bismark. For now, we must continue to hide and search for a sign."

And the little girl kinder Margo, clung desperately to her Pater, and wondered while the Artillery fire intensified. She had heard of the tale of Hans, the small boy from Hamburg who was now a symbol for the freedom fighters. Margo forced her grimey eyelashes down over her tired eyes and imagined Khufu would be here soon. But try as she must, the dust brought forth tears to her not so innocent eyes. The last 4 turns had hardened her resolve to escape the Reich and her dreams of a prince of battle with a bright yellow flag surrounded by an Army of liberation.

An artillery round exploded near by and the last portion of the cathedral that was little more than 2 bricks upon one another fell down and hit her Pater. The father let out a groan, but continued to hold his little kinder's hand as fathers are wont to do. At last the father said,"Margo, my time has come. I know not how, but do feel the horses bedecked in yellow are advancing here today. Cling to these men in yellow for they represent our, no your future."

And after a while, Lord Khufu led his Cavalry Army into Frankfurt and chanced to pass by the ancient cathedral. There amongst the ruins was a small girl covered with grime and the very dust of the cathedral. A small girl kinder holding onto an arm that protruded from the rubble. And Khufu wept.

Presently, a German rifleman chanced upon the scene and was taking aim on Khufu when another Elite Apolytonian Cavalryman charged. And when the dust cleared, Na'rmer bent down and slowly loosened the grip of those tiny fingers. The new leader turned to Khufu and said,"You have but 2 hit points left Lord, best you be on your way. I, Na'rmer will look after the kinder."

So two days later, Margo awoke in hospital, one of the few buildings left standing in Frankfurt. And she remebered her dream oh so vividly, as only those of kinder heart of all ages can do.

But that was long ago, and far away. Today Margo has grown into a woman and homemaker, residing a few scant blocks from the shrine that is the ruins of the old cathedral of Frankfurt. And when she passes that shrine, dim memories are lit anew and she thinks about the day that her Pater died.

And then she wonders how the new Cathedral went up so fast. Instinctively, she knows the answer and it makes her heart swell with pride to be an Apolyton. She stares at the worship board infront of the new cathedral and slowly mouths the name at the top. The Church of the Outstreached Hand. She knows what that name means to her, but wonders what it means to others. And more importantly, how did the builders ever know. Where does the reality end and the dream begin.

/roleplay

Ssgt roadcage (retired)

Last edited by roadcage; February 1, 2003 at 22:09.
Old January 19, 2003, 01:56   #20
Shiber
Emperor

Assuming that the final bill will allow a choice between the two leading options, I hereby change my vote from Wall Street to Army.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old January 19, 2003, 13:50   #21
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I agree with roadcage on this one. We have the potential to build small wonders very quickly, so it would be somehow wasteful to rush wall street.
Also, I'm getting bored of stopping the game every week for a leader, so I will have no problems with keeping this one until we can rush the UN
Plus, if we have a leader to rush the UN, we will be able to do it in Apolyton, which will de facto become the political center of the world, as it deserves
Old January 20, 2003, 11:47   #22
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 11:39
Quote:

Na'rmer- This wasn't on the list, but if we are going to keep Frankfurt, we might want to rush a marketplace there. I know this sounds silly, but it's the only practical way to reduce unhappiness quickly.

Ssgt roadcage (retired)
Posted in this thread

Not a bad idea at all.

I'm tired of wait, too. Right now, I can't schedule a turnchat because we're stuck with our new GL...
Could some nice Senator post a Senate Bill about that? Include the sarge's suggestion...
Old January 20, 2003, 13:59   #23
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Disband him

Or use him for an army.

Or just hold onto him.

Or whatever.

IMO it doesn't really matter at this stage.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old January 20, 2003, 17:00   #24
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Rush the most expensive project currently being built.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old January 20, 2003, 17:51   #25
Shiber
Emperor

It's a tie between Army and save the leader (I changed my vote from Wall Street to Army some 50 hours ago).
- Phantom of the Opera
Old January 21, 2003, 11:54   #26
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Manually add 1 to Rush Wall Street.
(This poll closed faster than I could vote on it.)

As long as we are still at war, there is no point in saving Leaders at the rate new Leaders have been appearing.
Old January 21, 2003, 13:02   #27
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

why should we save on a GL , we should use them always at ones , this way we can get the next , ...

have a nice day