Old January 21, 2003, 06:29   #31
mordhiem
Civilization II PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 14:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Southern Asia scenario sounds interesting, lots of scope and options.
Old January 21, 2003, 19:52   #32
Boco
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 09:39
Mongolia is in southern Asia, right? Just depends on your perspective.
Old January 21, 2003, 21:20   #33
WarVoid
King

Mongolia is NORTHERN Asia.
A scenario about the Russian Revolution and the subsequent Red invasion of Central Asia and the fall of the short-lived Khanates therein would be interesting. Very few people realise that Enver Pasha died fighting the Reds in Central Asia for the Uzbek/Bukhara Khanate. Maybe even ancient empires, such as a "Defense of Bactria" scenario set after the fall of Alexander's Greek Empire.

Anyhoo...
A theme set around "Famous Battles of the Two World Wars" would also be interesting. For WWI you have many; Caporetto, Megiddo, Verdun, Gallipoli, etc. And WWII has just as many; Bulge, Berlin, Stalingrad (FMK's gonna wait to finish this for SDC #259378), Paris, etc. That would also be ideal for the "duel" type scenario I keep hearing so much about.
Old January 21, 2003, 21:42   #34
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 11:39
Hmm. I like the Far East () and "Famous battles of the World Wars" topic.
Old January 21, 2003, 23:14   #35
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Local Time: 10:39
I say go for the Duel scenario. The reason you dont see many of them in the PBEM world is because I dont believe there are many 1 vs 1 scenarios out there.
Old January 22, 2003, 00:12   #36
Boco
King

Local Time: 09:39
There seems to be an amoebic crawl toward a location somewhere east of Suez, and the 20th century folks are gaining an edge. And in a Dueling-in-your-face style. How many are violently opposed to this?

What kind of criteria are likely to attract the most designers and yet still be possible to judge?

WV, so you and a billion Chinese think I'm wrong about Mongolia. Too bad for Turk and Ally alike that Enver didn't go east sooner.

Quote:
A scenario about the Russian Revolution and the subsequent Red invasion of Central Asia and the fall of the short-lived Khanates
I take it the "and's" are important, cuz otherwise Techumseh's going to....
Old January 22, 2003, 00:24   #37
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 00:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by WarVoid
A theme set around "Famous Battles of the Two World Wars" would also be interesting. For WWI you have many; Caporetto, Megiddo, Verdun, Gallipoli, etc. And WWII has just as many; Bulge, Berlin, Stalingrad (FMK's gonna wait to finish this for SDC #259378), Paris, etc. That would also be ideal for the "duel" type scenario I keep hearing so much about.
That gets my vote as well, though we'd need to settle on the difference between a 'battle' and a 'campaign'

Another sugestion is the deadline should be a lot shorter for this comp. IMO SDC #4 went on for too long. As duel style scenarios should be relatively quick to make, a 6 month deadline would be appropriate.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old January 22, 2003, 01:13   #38
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 08:39
Pardon my ignorance, but is a duel scenario essentially a multi-player scenario for two players?

www.tecumseh.150m.com
Old January 22, 2003, 03:16   #39
atomant
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

what about an alternate history theme: eg: american civil war fought in 1979, part of the total package could be an explanation of events, the historical context if you will..... Or a Russian invasion of America (as per the movie Red Dawn, or the Nazi victory in Europe, or Iran winning its war with Iraq and so on and so fourth
Old January 22, 2003, 07:27   #40
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by techumseh
Pardon my ignorance, but is a duel scenario essentially a multi-player scenario for two players?
Yes, essentially.
Old January 22, 2003, 07:32   #41
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Ditto, Case!

I have heard of at least a few people working on portions of WWII scenarios, like the Finnish Front, Battle of Britian, etc.

A contest along this genre may actually entice these designers to finish and submit. So I say duel in WWI or WWII.
Old January 22, 2003, 09:05   #42
techumseh
Emperor

IMHO, the contest theme can't be something which one or more contestants is already working on. That gives a huge advantage to that person(s). A theme should be selected that is unlikely to be sitting half done on someone's hard drive.

www.tecumseh.150m.com
Old January 22, 2003, 09:20   #43
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by techumseh
IMHO, the contest theme can't be something which one or more contestants is already working on. That gives a huge advantage to that person(s). A theme should be selected that is unlikely to be sitting half done on someone's hard drive.
Hmmm. I dont know that I agree with this. A lot of people have thought about scenarios and may have done some initial planning but may not have gotten far.
And if we pick a theme that interests a lot of people we will get more entries which I believe is a good thing.

Maybe half done was too strong of a word. I will rephrase that to say " Thought about".
Old January 22, 2003, 09:56   #44
DarthVeda
Emperor

*convulses with discontent at the idea of a duel scenario*
Old January 22, 2003, 10:03   #45
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DarthVeda
*convulses with discontent at the idea of a duel scenario*

Wonders why? A lot of us in the PBEM world would like to see this.
Old January 22, 2003, 10:23   #46
Dr. Nick
Deity

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Just because he's got unfinished Kyokujitsu and Battle of the Bulge!
Old January 22, 2003, 10:27   #47
DarthVeda
Emperor

I *was* hoping to release Bulgle sometime soon... not july!
Old January 22, 2003, 10:38   #48
techumseh
Emperor

Then you should release it soon! Please.

www.tecumseh.150m.com
Old January 22, 2003, 10:59   #49
mordhiem
Civilization II PBEM
Warlord

Dueling in WW2 sounds good, but I still prefer the wide range of options avaliable in an Asian theme.
Old January 22, 2003, 11:05   #50
techumseh
Emperor

How about the Russo-Japanese War (1904-05)?. It's Asian, industrial, 2 player, cool, and it's never been done before.

www.tecumseh.150m.com
Old January 22, 2003, 12:26   #51
Dr. Nick
Deity

I think that we could have "wars of the century" or a "battles of the great wars" 1 on 1 theme.
Old January 22, 2003, 13:19   #52
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by El Awrence
I think that we could have "wars of the century" or a "battles of the great wars" 1 on 1 theme.
Hey great idea open up the time limit and go for a duel! I like it!
Old January 22, 2003, 14:34   #53
mordhiem
Civilization II PBEM
Warlord

Yeah, great idea El Awrence!

Let's see, 'Battles of the Great Wars' opens up The Hundered Years War, Punic Wars, Napoleonic Wars, both the World Wars, Greco-Persian Wars, countless opportunities. I'm sold.
Old January 22, 2003, 14:39   #54
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Me too Im voting with Mordhiem
Old January 22, 2003, 15:34   #55
Jimmywax
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by atomant
what about an alternate history theme: eg: american civil war fought in 1979, part of the total package could be an explanation of events, the historical context if you will..... Or a Russian invasion of America (as per the movie Red Dawn, or the Nazi victory in Europe, or Iran winning its war with Iraq and so on and so fourth
This suggestion seems to get my motor running.
Old January 22, 2003, 15:39   #56
Jimmywax
Prince

I know this probably has a snowball's chance in hell, but if it was decided on that it will be for a Asian scenario, will there be a limit as to when it is based?
Old January 22, 2003, 17:47   #57
our_man
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 15:39
An alternate history SDC has, in my opinion, got great potential. I suggested this back for SDC 4, and atomant has brought it up this time. It would really allow peoples imaginations to run riot, there would be no shortage of possibles themes and (hopefully), no shortage of entrants.

A possible format for this could be that the contestant selects one major historical event to alter (e.g. the course of a battle, the assassination of a world leader) and then creates his scenario on what arises from this, whether it starts the next day or he allows the altered timeline to run for a while and starts it ten (or more) years later.
Old January 22, 2003, 17:51   #58
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by El Awrence
from me as well. This would allow heaps of freedom of choice while still producing scenarios which can be judged against each other.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old January 22, 2003, 18:02   #59
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmywax
I know this probably has a snowball's chance in hell, but if it was decided on that it will be for a Asian scenario, will there be a limit as to when it is based?
Definately thats why we are going with the 1 vs 1 Great Battles of all time theme.
Old January 22, 2003, 19:19   #60
Dr. Nick
Deity

Weeeeee!