Old January 22, 2003, 19:39   #61
WarVoid
King

Local Time: 14:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The difficulty with doing a "Great Battles of History" type contest is you have no clue what people will be submitting. It could be the Battle of Granicus in 315 BC (I think that's about right...) or the Battle of the Bulge. A huge difference in concepts.

As the de-facto judge, I researched the criteria of SDC #4 to insure the winners applied historical accuracy. Opening it to such a wide theme would require me to do an immense (read: impossible) amount of research.

Unless of course we do away with the old rules;

No code names
No coded judges
Announced scenario design (i.e. you clearly sate "I am working on such and such a battle scenario")

Knowing ahead of time what everyone will be working on will allow me to research the necessecary information prior to the contest deadline. And I personally think the codes and hush-hush bit was a bit stupid and unnecessecary.
Old January 22, 2003, 19:42   #62
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 10:39
yes especially when people insert unmistakable trademarks into their scenarios
Old January 22, 2003, 19:54   #63
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 11:39
I think that the issue of you being able to research prior does not mean that the scenario has to go public, WV. We could simply email the information.
Old January 22, 2003, 20:06   #64
klesh
King

When suggesting a duel, I meant that only 2 human playable civs exist, or course allowing for the others to be AI or utility civs. Everyone agrees with that right?

-FMK.
Old January 22, 2003, 20:16   #65
Boco
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 09:39
Even if you know the history behind them, how do you compare scenarios about the battles of Granicus and the Bulge? There's too little common ground. It's comparing apples and spaceships.
Old January 22, 2003, 22:04   #66
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

es especially when people insert unmistakable trademarks into their scenarios

I don't know what you are talking about, Japan-boy. No one could have possibly guessed that the alternative history scenario about an ice age set in the Age of Sail could have been made by the same designer who made the alternative history scenario about Venice/Hafsids/Teutonic Knights set in the Age of Sail and used the same units selection.
Old January 22, 2003, 22:49   #67
kobayashi
Prince

Local Time: 22:39
Quote:
Originally posted by DarthVeda
yes especially when people insert unmistakable trademarks into their scenarios
Maybe that remark was directed at me? Nah..I don't think so, I've never made anything from any of the historical eras.

BTW, I support any idea that does not involve WW2 and I agree that it should be something that is not already half finished sitting on someone's harddrive.
Old January 23, 2003, 07:50   #68
Mercator
Emperor

Local Time: 16:39
Quote:
Originally posted by WarVoid
Knowing ahead of time what everyone will be working on will allow me to research the necessecary information prior to the contest deadline. And I personally think the codes and hush-hush bit was a bit stupid and unnecessecary.
I think the codes can go too.

But how about having a history overview included as a requirement. That is, the senario creator should also give a reasonably detailed description of the (historical) situation etc.
I think scenarios should mainly be about playability, innovation, and then a fair portion of historical accuracy. But this is Civ2, historical accuracy will always be limited or a scenario would become too rigid. Besides, most likely a lot of the players don't know nearly as much about the subject as the scenario creator.

So what I'm saying is, the scenario creators should provide the historical information to the judges, then the scenarios will be judged using this information (perhaps also the quality of the information itself) and "simply" the overall goodness of the scenario, regardless of historical accuracy.

This will give the scenario creators a little leeway, but also force them to do some decent research. Apart from that, it will allow players to enjoy the scenario, even if they don't know the exact historical setting, and prevents a situation where a scenario can only be won if you do exactly what really happened.

And... No WWII please.
Old January 23, 2003, 09:20   #69
mordhiem
Civilization II PBEM
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Boco
Even if you know the history behind them, how do you compare scenarios about the battles of Granicus and the Bulge? There's too little common ground. It's comparing apples and spaceships.
How did WV compare DV's Sengoku Jidai with Kobi's TRON? They are very different in structure and the way you play them. If we pick the Southern Asia option, how do you compare a scenario about the Indian Mutiny in 1857 with one about the Afghan expansion of 1747-1773? They would be played in completley different ways and the player would have widley differing objectives. The only wasy you can compare scenarios, (unless they are about the same subject, but with revealed identities that woun't be a problem) is how much fun you have playing them and how historically accurate they are. If the players provide their own histories that makes part one easier for WV and I'm sure he is capable of deciding how much fun he is having without any help.
Old January 23, 2003, 09:29   #70
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Ditto Mordhiem!
Old January 23, 2003, 10:07   #71
Michael Daumen
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Boco
And spaceships would just fly right through apples.
Old January 23, 2003, 10:10   #72
DarthVeda
Emperor

Perhaps it should be a rule that the scenarios submitted must not have been under construction before the contest's start date?

I'd still like a ww2 theme...
Old January 23, 2003, 10:14   #73
Dr. Nick
Deity

Ditto mordhiem too!
Old January 23, 2003, 10:52   #74
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

How about the Russo-Japanese War (1904-05)?. It's Asian, industrial, 2 player, cool, and it's never been done before.

IIRC, Russian fleet circumnavigated the Old World, got solidly thrashed, and sailed back. End of War. No?

-bribery scenario
-ww2
-ancient through medieval Asia
-duel scenario
-replacing topical contest with general awards
-famous battles
-wars of The (20th?) Century
-alternate history
-Russian invasion of US

Now, let's put that all together. We are doing an alternate history scenario where a US that was formed in medieval South East Asia is dueling it out bribe-wise with Russians in what pundits are calling the Wilderness War II.
Old January 23, 2003, 10:59   #75
Dr. Nick
Deity

Old January 23, 2003, 13:40   #76
Boco
King

There was a land campaign around Port Arthur, as well. Was that anymore evenly matched than Tsushima Straits?

Boxer Rebellion could be interesting. Has that been done?

Glad we reached a consensus, St Leo!
Old January 23, 2003, 14:21   #77
Jimmywax
Prince

Local Time: 08:39
Why don't we do a poll and see which is more popular. I think it is pretty clear that it is heading toward a WWI or WWII scenario, but this way there is no doubt. I myself am still hoping for the AH scenario to pull ahead.
Old January 23, 2003, 18:27   #78
Boco
King

Seems my apples and spaceships stirred up a hornets nest...and showed I'm in a minority. Still, if fun and historical accuracy are the sole judging criteria, why are we suggesting any themes at all on this thread? Should we have a vote as JimmyWax suggests, or simply make it no-theme-but-enclose-historical-synopsis (NTBEHS for short) contest?

Then again why not have a poll with entries something like St. Leo's 'consensus' list, and add NTBEHS as an option?
Old January 23, 2003, 19:01   #79
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 00:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
A duel theme would allow people to make alt-hist scenarios...
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old January 23, 2003, 20:46   #80
EmuGod
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by St Leo
How about the Russo-Japanese War (1904-05)?. It's Asian, industrial, 2 player, cool, and it's never been done before.
I once thought about creating a scenario about that, but it would only be a 2 player scenario, unless China was added, and it was a short war.
Old January 23, 2003, 21:46   #81
WarVoid
King

I did not compare Sengoku Jidai to TRON, or Little Ice Age to Asiento. Or any other such comparison in-between. Each was judged independently based on the SDC's criteria of requirements.

Historical Accuracy
PBEMability
Replayability
Gaming Ability (Fun factor)
Luxuries (i.e. Readme, notes, events, etc.)
Originality (including graphics as well as design)
Extended Game (i.e. modified city.txt, pedia.txt, menu.txt, etc.)

All these factors were considered. But it was streamlined by it being set during the Age of Sail. The general era confines the scenarios to a single category of history.

As with Granicus and Bulge, you have to hugely immense differences. One requires you to research Phalnax tactics, for instance, while the other requires you to research WWII tank warfare.

Lucky for me I know quite a bit about both feudal Japan and the Age of Sail otherwise it might have taken me longer to insure the best judgement. The last thing I want to do is judge someone's hard work unfairly.

Now on to what's been discussed since I last posted, I like the idea of including a historical addendum to the readme file of the scenarios. This would help immensely.

Again, as for code names and such and secrecy over the scenario you design for the contest, I see absolutely no point to it. You have the choice to keep it secret or not, but as far as the contest goes I think it's unnecessecary. Announcing what you are designing does not obligate you to post pics for others to premptively steal your work. It allows you to maybe get a little help, something which is needed when doing an SDC scenario. And it may prevent overlapping and allow a more varied selection of entries (i.e. we won't get two Bulge scenarios).
Old January 23, 2003, 22:10   #82
Dr. Nick
Deity

So what's it going to be?
Old January 23, 2003, 22:33   #83
DarthVeda
Emperor

We'll only need one bulge scenario... muahahahahaha !
Old January 23, 2003, 23:38   #84
Boco
King

Nuts!
Old January 24, 2003, 11:38   #85
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

Local Time: 15:39
Quote:
Originally posted by WarVoid
As the de-facto judge, I researched the criteria of SDC #4 to insure the winners applied historical accuracy. Opening it to such a wide theme would require me to do an immense (read: impossible) amount of research.
Got some doubts about it. St Louis docet.
Old January 25, 2003, 17:04   #86
Insurgent
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:39
Am I right to say these are the present candidates for an SDC topic:

- Great battles of the world wars
- Far East theme
- Alternate history theme

...?
CLICK HERE FOR THE OFFICIAL DISCUSSION THREAD AND DOWNLOADS!
Old January 25, 2003, 18:15   #87
mordhiem
Civilization II PBEM
Warlord

I thought that the 'Great Batles of the World Wars' option was more of a 'Great Battles of History' option, in that it was very free ond open. I wouldn't like it restricted to just WW2, there are only a few interesting options, and DV and FMK have pinched the best two between 'em.
Old January 26, 2003, 02:32   #88
kobayashi
Prince

Local Time: 22:39
how about providing a map and letting people do whatever they want with it?
Old January 27, 2003, 07:00   #89
atomant
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 00:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
can we organise a poll?
1) WWII
2) Historical Asian
3) Alternate History
4) Scrap the design contest and go with awards based on category as has been suggested somewhere in here.
5) ????
Old January 27, 2003, 10:44   #90
Boco
King

Quote:
1) WWII
2) Historical Asian
3) Alternate History
4) Scrap the design contest and go with awards based on category as has been suggested somewhere in here.
5) ????
How about these edits?

Change (1) to "Great Battles of WWI or WWII?"
Change (5) to "Great Battles of History?"
Add (6) "Rules! I don't need no stinkin' rules" (Said right before the speaker was kicked in the jewels)?

Should we allow Alt History in 1,2,5?