Old January 10, 2001, 05:51   #1
Skanderbeg
Warlord

Local Time: 05:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
interesting feature of locusts
Yesterday, I discovered accidently a very interesting feature of locusts.

You can use them (of course only your own, not planet's) as a flying airbase!
I remarked it, when I crossed a swarm of my locusts with a planet buster I was bringing to the front. Moving it on the square with my locusts, it suddenly stopped like it has reached a base. The next turn,
I could move it away without problems. The same works, as I have tested, with choppers and needlejets.

I do not garantee that is valid for others than my (German) version. So test it on own risk.

Old January 10, 2001, 08:48   #2
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 00:00
If this is works that would be cool. I'll go try that. I have never took the time to even build one of these. I used to build IODs, but never locusts.
Old January 10, 2001, 16:31   #3
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 22:00
Local Date: October 30, 2010

Hmmm - I scenario tested it and couldn't replicate it - maybe it is a version thing

G.
Old January 11, 2001, 06:03   #4
Helium Pond
Prince

Kind of off-topic but kind of on, I just used a Carrier Deck on a transport for the first time ever. It was great! To tell the truth, I kind of doubted it would work. I needed to make a naval invasion, and I brought over a bunch of Needlejets to soften up the beach for me, and it worked like a charm. I guess I'd assumed it was broken, 'cuz no one ever talks about doing it. A little thrill, there. Fun to have Needlejets have such mobility.
Old January 11, 2001, 06:30   #5
Aredhran
Prince

Local Time: 06:00
Nobody talks about it, because the feature comes so late in the game that by that point it's essentially over for most people. Not to mention that it's easier to bring your forces over by stopping in bases (yours or a pactmate's)
Old January 11, 2001, 10:12   #6
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 08:00
I like Locusts, but basically they're hard to build, as they become available quite late in the game. I yet prefer the gravships, which I make cheap - best weapon, no armor. But, they can have more HP than 10, while Locusts, being a natvi lifeform will be having trouble with someone equippied by a Singularity or Quantum reactor.

------------------
Solver - http://www.aok.20m.com
Old January 11, 2001, 10:58   #7
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Solver,

A native attacking or being attacked by any conventional unit even singularity has combat such that the reactor is basically treated as a fission reactor. It handled by the game doling out 4 times the amount of damage to a singularity reactor unit, 3 times the amount of damage to a quantum, 2 for fusion and 1 for a fission.

OTOH a singularity self destructing unit will likely anhialate any native. Missiles always toast natives as well.

Og
Old January 11, 2001, 15:59   #8
Sindai
Chieftain

I usually end up getting locusts WAY before gravships, and thus I end up using them to finish off most of my conquest games on maps with multiple continents....
Old January 12, 2001, 23:46   #9
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 18:00
I used a carrier fleet before to carry a fleet of gas choppers and PB's to perform some ethnic cleansing, I was sven in the freshwater sea, and had decided not to expand outside of the sea, except for one land base in the narrow northen strip. I had no diplomacy prospects because my neighbour on all sides was Marr.

It was fun having a navy, I'm thinking of altering the .txt to make carrier deck available at Orbital Spaceflight (make the deck out of the same stuff as hydroponic labs)

Repair bay is also one I havn't used, IndAuto would be make sense for repair bays.

The submarine hull is broken unfortunately, the AI can see submerged ships
Old January 13, 2001, 14:14   #10
LoD
Prince

This is kind of off-topic, but I've like to mention that LoC have one more interesting trait - theyre able to capture bases. And that's way before Gravships, which makes them one of the best units in the game (in the middle-game, at least).

LoD
Old January 13, 2001, 15:19   #11
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Effectively, Locusts use the gravship chassis - check out the alphax.txt file and there they are. As such, they are the first 'gravship' unit you are able to get your hands on - although they aren't as powerful as regular gravships, they allow great mobility, whilst being relatively cheap.
Old January 14, 2001, 00:39   #12
Sindai
Chieftain

And of course, if you can manage to snag the Dream Twister, Neural Amp, and run Green (and Cybernetic when it's available) you can get a pretty high attack bonus out of that Planet rating....

The only big disadvantage to them is that the defense bonuses of AAA Tracking and Aerospace Complexes apply to units defending against them. So trying to take a base with multiple AAA defenders (particulerly with that ability that gives +50% def from psi) can be extremely costly.....

Of course, if they want to be that way, you can just kill all their formers and crawlers, then bomb all their terraforming to death and wait for the various low-resource affects to cripple them. It's a wonderfully eco-friendly way to fight.
Old January 14, 2001, 01:19   #13
Myronides
Warlord

Local Time: 07:00
Return to the topic: I tryed to use a locustus as an air base in the senario editor (english version) and failed as well. But it would be weird if this could happen only in the german version. Did anyone else try to do it?
Old January 14, 2001, 08:41   #14
LoD
Prince

mark13: I suspected that, but never got myself to check this (too lazy ). Thanks for the info.

Sindai: I wouldn't use them for attacks - they are too expensive. Usually they should be the close-support of your drop garrisons - they can take over bases when normal drop operations are impeded (Aero Complexes and SAM/AAM units) or destroy air units in flight.

LoD
Old January 14, 2001, 08:43   #15
LoD
Prince

And for destroying formers and crawlers in the field, I would consider MtG sucide X-chopper strategy. Very low cost combined with very good effects.
Old January 14, 2001, 10:44   #16
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 08:00
Locusts use the Antigrav chasis, but have less moves. Also, they are quite expensive. By the time I get gravships, I have Quantum Laser weapon, with the graviton gun coming very soon. I design a very cheap unit (50-60 minerals): Antigrav, Quantum Laser / Graviton Gun, no armor, no special abilities. With Sing. reactor it's 50 miner., 60 minerals with Singularity reactor. Thus, I have some bases producing these, normally I have at least 2 bases in good position that can produce such a unit in 1 turn. Thus, each turn I get 2 Graviton Gravships (weapon doesn't make the unit more expensive), and in six turns, I'm able to mount a good offensive with some 15 Skybases.
Locusts and gravships capture bases, as they both use the same chasis, and AAA / Aerospace Complex helps vs. both of them.
Neural Amplifier helps vs. locusts, Trance units do as well. So, IMO, defending vs. locusts is much more easier than defending vs. Gravships, as, with presence of Neural Amplifier, you need an AAA Trance unit, even not with the best armor, it would kill the Locusts easily. In fact, it can be a special unit with no armor, only for PSI combat with the worms and locusts, especially.
Second, at the time I have Locusts, I rarely have bases that are good enough to produce them in a good amount of turns. But, if I manage to make only 2 of these, I can have excellent use of them, if sending to enemy territory and making them kill the Formers.

------------------
Solver - http://www.aok.20m.com
Old January 14, 2001, 11:49   #17
Qilue
King

Local Time: 15:00
This thread gave me an idea for a variation on removing friendly sea bases too close to your own. Build a swarm of LoCs and release into wild next to it.
Old January 15, 2001, 01:17   #18
niteowl
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:00
quote:

Originally posted by Helium Pond on 01-11-2001 05:03 AM
Kind of off-topic but kind of on, I just used a Carrier Deck on a transport for the first time ever. It was great! To tell the truth, I kind of doubted it would work. I needed to make a naval invasion, and I brought over a bunch of Needlejets to soften up the beach for me, and it worked like a charm. I guess I'd assumed it was broken, 'cuz no one ever talks about doing it. A little thrill, there. Fun to have Needlejets have such mobility.

I often use the carrier deck option...also if you are willing to fork out the extra expense add the repair bay option, then you can haul land and air units on the same ship making for one heck of an invasion force. Only thing I don't like in this situation is the repair bay only repairs the ground units. But otherwise this combo works pretty good.

------------------
007-007-007-007-007-007-007-007-007-007-007
"My dear girl don't flatter yourself.
What I did this evening was for king and
country. You don't think it gave me any
pleasure do you?

--- James Bond
Old January 15, 2001, 19:11   #19
Tau Ceti
King

quote:

Originally posted by Mouse on 01-14-2001 10:49 AM
This thread gave me an idea for a variation on removing friendly sea bases too close to your own. Build a swarm of LoCs and release into wild next to it.

Unfortunately, you will have problems releasing locusts into the wild. The game only allows you to transfer control of air units at a base or airbase.

Old January 16, 2001, 10:58   #20
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Mouse,

Your better served making IoD's and releasing to the wild to take out those pesty sea bases. They are cheaper than Locusts and achieve the same purpose. If you have Maritime Sp then move of 6 gives good ability to mov IoD into place. It always nice to have a few Iod's on hand just in case someone get the bright idea of creating a base in an area you'ld rather not have them. Swim your Iod into place release to wild, base size one exists no more.

Og
Old January 16, 2001, 19:15   #21
MariOne
King

Allegedly, Repair Bay is broken.
That is, those who ran tests about it, verified *exactly* the SAME repair rate, with or without them, in any condition.
I never used them sp I can't say it in first person.
Old January 17, 2001, 15:51   #22
Qilue
King

Ogie - That would work in Smac, but with Smacx, IoD's become passive and wont attack bases.
Old January 17, 2001, 16:09   #23
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Mouse,

Interesting effect with IoD's and one I hadn't obviously tried/observed to date in SMACX. Hmmm... guess I haven't done that trick in awhile. I wonder if the same applies to Sea lurks. I have seen Sea lurks attack garrisoned bases eliminating the garrison. After that they simply stay put and never attack the base again until you have another unit present.

Seems to me they made the roaming native life a little friendlier in SMACX in that the sea units apparantly won't worm rape your undefended bases. Hmmm....

Og
Old January 18, 2001, 17:04   #24
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Mouse,

Hmmm.... Interesting

Question tho' in all my experience with coastal bases being attacked by sea lurks. Sea lurks attack garrison unit and if successful stay parked until another unit is in the base. Sea lurk attacks again etc. At no time does the sea lurk take the coastal base.

Now I am assuming that the sea lurk has the equivalent of marine ability in order to allow it to attack the land base to begin with, as the IoD were prevented from attacking land bases in SMAC before. Why then does the sea lurk not invade the base reducing pop by 1 as land based worms do??

I can't recall a time when a lurk went after one of my sea bases, but perhaps that is the dif.

Penny for your thoughts Mouse.

Og
Old January 19, 2001, 01:40   #25
Qilue
King

Ooh no, Sealurks are feral, they'll attack anything that's not fungus or empty ocean. I've had native life, both water and land destroy a base.
Old January 19, 2001, 11:31   #26
Qilue
King

Before I start, I'll define normal sealurks as 'native sealurks' and faction created and released as 'artificial sealurks'. There seems to be a difference in their behavior. Now, I haven't experienced the behavior you've described for native sealurks since they usually don't live very long once I know they exist. I have seen artificial sealurks invade and destroy a base since it's one of my main uses for them. I'll have to test whether artificial IoDs would actually attack bases since I've never seen this done by a native IoD in smacx.

Just for the record, when playing, I'm rabidly xenophobic in that, if a unit's flag isn't the same colour as the rest of my units and it's near one of my bases, it's targeted for elimination by any means nessesary. I'm also a perfectionist with no base squares overlapping, so any foreign base who's base squares are next to or overlapping one of my bases is also targeted for elimination or conquest, usually elimination. I'm somewhat lenient towards units and bases belonging to a pactmate, but they shouldn't push their luck.