Old January 21, 2003, 01:50   #31
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Local Time: 09:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I view jungles in Civ3 as the latest incarnation of an evil foe. In Civ2 it was swamps, being useless and slowing my glorious army. In SMAC it was the evil fungus, this time destroying improvements, citys, etc.... Now it is Jungles, they kill my people, provide nothing and get in my way. All of them must be eliminated. Planet Buster and Flamethrowers for the fungus, machettes and nukes for the Jungles! Muahahaha...

But more seriously, it sort of does give too much invitation to kill the enviroment. Not that I ever really cared, so long as France is gone who cares if it glows at night. Maybe a happiness/trade bonus for un-disturbed forests/jungle? Nice place to go and tourism really.
Old January 21, 2003, 06:06   #32
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 14:43
If you want to make jungles "useful" go in to the editor, and modify their values. I personally suggest giving jungles 1 food, 2 commerce (herbs, animals, slaves tropical hardwoods etc.) and no shields. Also I allow "mining" of jungles (not really a mine, but a colony or research station or whatever you like to imagine it is) to allow an extra commerce.

Or just chop them down, but the map looks poo when everything is mined railroaded grasslands

-jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 21, 2003, 06:57   #33
MoonWolf
Prince

Local Time: 15:43
I agree with Gangerolf (us Norwegians...). The hospital removes disease made of flood plains, why not jungles as well?

To reflect the medical possibilities af the jungles, I'm thinking of adding a kind of bonus when a certian tech is researched. Maybe with Genetics as some one suggested. What about a new luxury resource called "Natural medicine" or something? And required to build Cure for Cancer wich gives maybe 2 happy faces instead of one?
Old January 21, 2003, 08:11   #34
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 14:43
But whoever researches Genetics ?

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 21, 2003, 09:22   #35
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by War of Art

-Jam
Good question, I've never gotten that far.
Old January 21, 2003, 09:32   #36
MoonWolf
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by War of Art

-Jam
I do! My goal with Civ is not to win as fast as possible, but to have fun and play. Therefore I normally play long games even I could have won long before I reach the modern age.
Old January 21, 2003, 09:34   #37
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 11:43
Yes, I rarely research Genetics.