Old February 8, 2003, 07:57   #61
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 15:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Many people at the site have been here since civ2......but some joined for CTP I expect.
DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2003, 08:58   #62
VJ
King

Local Time: 14:44
Civ 1 on my brother's PC in 1992 - at 5 years old.
Was the 3rd game I ever played. Learned to read Engrish before Finnish because of it.
VJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2003, 13:27   #63
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

I started with Civ1, on PC. A friend recommended it... I bought it.
MrBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2003, 13:36   #64
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Mine might just about be one of the earliest....

in 1990 my family was in Malaysia. Dad brought home a brand spanking new 286 16MHz with 40MB hard disk drive and Civilization. I was 9 years old. I played that game more than RR Tycoon, more than the Learning Company games, more even than Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Doom came and went, as did Dune 2 and many others. Civ stayed dear until Civ2 in 1995 (IIRC). This was the new obsession for years until SMAC and CTP. The rest is just an avalanche of civ titles being released more and more often...

I owe civ for my interest and knowledge in history and geography - I always wanted to know what part of the world I was settling in, and when those advances were REALLY discovered, so I could beat the real world to them.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2003, 16:44   #65
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 16:44
Quote:
Originally posted by aaglo
It was 'love-at-first-sight'. The game really got me for good.
jep, same here.
Old February 9, 2003, 16:50   #66
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Many people report love at first site. I bought Civ1 when it came out in the early 90s for my spanking new Amiga........I played it for 2 days and then left it on the shelf for a month or so. I was bored and gave it a second shot........and haven't looked back since.
DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2003, 08:37   #67
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

its so easy to get "the one more turn syndrome" , .......

its a great game to teach kids or people with disabilities something new and its just so great to relax and forget for a minute the troubles in world , .....

thanks Sid

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2003, 00:31   #68
Tuberski

Local Time: 09:44
Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
Many people report love at first site. I bought Civ1 when it came out in the early 90s for my spanking new Amiga........I played it for 2 days and then left it on the shelf for a month or so. I was bored and gave it a second shot........and haven't looked back since.
Afriend of mine, when I was in the Navy, bought a brand new Amiga and one game he had played before: Civilization.

People complain about how slow Civ3 is between turns, and I just laugh at them.

It had to be about 1992.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Tuberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2003, 11:56   #69
Jac de Molay
Prince

Received a Tandy (Radio Shack) 286 laptop for christmas in '92. I was picking up some peripherals for it at the local store when the Civ Box caught my eye. Had extra money so I figured what the Hell.

Did the usual cursory glance at the megalithic instruction manual, and dove right in. It took about an hour to figure out what was going on. But once it clicked, I proceeded to play for 2 days straight sitting at the kitchen table. My family was entirely spooked at the lime-green complexion I was taking on, and my mother was seriously second-guessing whether the laptop was such a good idea after all.

There was no better feeling than watching that mighty American armada rolling across the vast ocean to unleash sheer hell upon the mongols. I still feel that way about SMAC, too.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Jac de Molay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2003, 18:26   #70
badams52
King

Local Time: 06:44
Got in on the ground floor. A friend of mine gave me a copy of Civ I back in 1992? and that was the beginning of a beautiful friendship!
Old April 11, 2003, 07:52   #71
Dre of Compton
Settler

Local Time: 00:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
i started playing civ2 about half way through 2000, i didnd have a comp, but my nan did, so i started going to her house every weekend just to play it, none of my friends like it coz they recon its graphics are crap, but who needs good graphics when youve got a great game right, but i realy loved the extended game on ToT
but i hate civ3, its moved away from civ2 too much
Old April 16, 2003, 15:11   #72
maciek
Warlord

Local Time: 22:44
My first civ game was Civ1 for Amiga 500, about 1990. It was OK, but nothing special.

It had a massive black manual, 4 floppies (double density). There was some sort of copy protection where you had to find a picture on a given page or something like that. I had to wait about 5 minutes for the game to finish creating the map, etc., the intro was getting annoying after a while.

Then I got Civ1 AGA (advanced graphics adapter with 256 colors on the screen, up to 24bit in super HAM ) for Amiga 1200, I think I got it in 1993 or 1994. The graphics were superb...
maciek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2003, 04:56   #73
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Re: How did you start with Civ?
Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
So... how did you get started with the world of Civ?
MicroProse sent me a flyer about this great new game they were about to publish, called Civilization.
Urban Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 19:07   #74
Pieater
Settler

I got started with Civ1 back in 92 cause my dad, being a programmer, got a Civ1 CD with a computer package and he gave it to me. Just about quit when I saw the blinking wagon and didn't know what to do. So glad I didn't! Two of my best friends and I got addicted, sharing the CD on a weekly rotating basis, where we spent our afternoons after school at whoever's house had the CD at the time. We played for a good 2 years straight like that. In 94 got Colonization, in 96 bought Civ2. Followed with SMAC, then CTP1/2, and unfortunately Civ3. I've regressed to Civ2:ToT and still play Civ1 and Colonization on occassion. Forever a Civ fanatic!

Last edited by Pieater; May 7, 2003 at 19:28.
Pieater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 22:16   #75
Raptor007
Settler

Civilization 1 on the Macintosh. Great game!!
Raptor007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2003, 01:38   #76
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Raptor007
Civilization 1 on the Macintosh. Great game!!

Old May 24, 2003, 13:00   #77
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

civ 1 period was a great game
Old May 26, 2003, 18:01   #78
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Games are a passion since 1982 when I discovered Dungeons & Dragons (I was 15 at this time), I have played many RPGs, wargames and boardgames since and my favorites have long been Avalon Hill's Civilization, Advanced Civilization and Age of Renaissance.

After I bought my first computer (a Pentium 200 MMX with a 4 Mo SVGA graphic card) I quickly spotted a game called Sid Meier's Civilization II which looked very close to the old Avalon Hill's classic. I bought the game (it was a box with Civ2, Fantastic Worlds and the other add-on I don't remember the name), installed it, opened the Tutorial... and played for months and months until I discovered Call to Power 2 (I was not convinced by the first CtP)... I am no more playing Civ2 now (and I have not liked Civ3 at all) but I still remember vividly the days I played Civ2 until sunrise...

...one more turn and I go to bed.
Old May 28, 2003, 02:33   #79
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tamerlin
I discovered Dungeons & Dragons (I was 15 at this time)
Hah! I was only 11. Not quite as early as 1982 though.
Incidentally, underdogs has both advanced civ and history of the world as abandonware. I will not link to them though as that is now

Started playing civ in the early 90's after a brother, erm, "aquired" it (I've bought all the rest though Sid, honest. :halo: ) along with several other games.
He didn't realise what he had but I did.
Civ rules!
ravagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2003, 10:22   #80
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ravagon

Hah! I was only 11. Not quite as early as 1982 though.
Yes, but I must be one of the few ones still playing Role Playing Games (and some D&D 3rd edition) at 36...

About History of the World and Advanced Civilization as abandonware... you should rather play the original paper & cards boardgames...
Old May 28, 2003, 11:58   #81
VJ
King

Quote:
Civilization 1 on the Macintosh.
Were there any differences between that and the PC-version?
VJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2003, 12:38   #82
The Strangers
Settler

I was in a mate's house a long while back when he got his first PC. With it came a compilation disk of games, and Civilization was on it. It looked pretty good, so I bought it myself. That's how I got started.
Old June 4, 2003, 23:34   #83
TimeTraveler
Warlord

I first played Civilization II back in very early 1997, and back then, I didn't even know my units could do anything other than move in non-diagonal directions. You can imagine how short and pathetic That game turned out.

After trying again I finally figured out how to build a city, but I ended up building nothing but warriors. It took me a while to find out that multiple units could occupy the same square, and I still didn't figure out how to move diagonally, so half of the tiles were inaccessable.

Yeah, it took me a long time to figure out how to play the game, but I eventually figured it all out.
TimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2003, 20:31   #84
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 08:44
In school we had a compuetr class, but ti was really just time spent playing games. At first we played were in the World is Carmen Sandiego, Oregon trail, and Qbert. Then, my friend and I were given a new game by our teachers, who trusted us, it was civ. My friend and I were the only ones to play it (besids the teachers) and I got hooked. (This was '93). Then in '95 I heard civ2 was coming out. My family bought a computer that year (our first one) and civ2 was the first game I got. Played who knows how many hours. I then procedeed to buy SMAC and civ3. (and MOO and MOO2 as well).
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
GePap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2003, 03:55   #85
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:44
History of ixnay and Civilization:

I played Civ 1 in the 5th grade (I think), over at a friend's house. Was very entertained, even though I didn't understand everything that was going on. I remember enjoying building your palace.

Got Civ2 shortly after its release. I can still remember getting grounded for it after I got it - I was supposed to work on some studying Spanish, I believe, before I could play it. But when my mom called home to check up on my bro and I, he told her I just went straight to playing it.

I found Apolyton while looking for scenarios/strategies, and shortly discovered that CtP was coming out. I followed the development of it and joined the forums then (I was a soph. in HS then). I got it, but it never really did anything for me, so I sold it shortly afterwards.

I then got SMAC for my 17th birthday. Over the course of the following school year, I managed to get my closest friends addicted to it as well.

Eagerly followed the development of Civ3 and then got it the day it came out. Most of my posts come from talking about it (I hit 300 shortly before it came out. I'm at 2800 now). Got PTW when it came out, too.
ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote