Old February 2, 2003, 15:18   #31
cbraund
Prince

Local Time: 14:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Okay, time to come clean lol. I've now radically altered the plot of this one, so you cannot expect anything lol, all I promise is that it will be a spectacular ending to DG lol.

Spartacus stared at the image, his mind racing.

How could Alexander be alive?! Especially now, this photo shows him at the same age that he died!

He hunched over the table, and buried his head in his hands.

An imposter, it has to be, he decided.

He looked for scars and other marks on Alexander.

They were all there.

Either this person knew Alexander very well, or it was Alexander.

And that thought terrified Spartacus. For one, how did he manage to stay young? And secondly, if that is him, what chance do I have of stopping him this time?

Alexander grinned at Will.

"I suppose you want to know how I'm still alive?"

"Yeah, of course." Will nodded, slouched in the chair opposite. He respected Alexander, but had no use of him other than a way to get to Nicholas, and so didn't bother to show it.

"Well Spartacus made the mistake of letting those on the plane with me live. He always was a weak person - only ever killing those who had to die - never killing people without reason. Sometimes you have to kill without reason to neutralise enemies before they can become a threat.

"But he has a conscience, and it makes him weak. One person on the plane with me was particularly important. I'd like you to meet my son, Alexander Jnr."

A man the same age as Alexander now looked entered the room.

He looked like Alexander, but his hair was lighter, and his eyes were green. But the similarity was startling.

"He was born just before I was removed from power for the first time. When I went into hiding, I took him with me, for his mother was not of sane mind." Alexander explained.

More like you beat her up so much she killed herself,, Will thought grimly. He had no illusions about how evil Alexander was, but he respected the man's fighting skills and courage. And his thirst for revenge, which was as strong as Will's.

"It was my son and one loyal commander who used my DNA to create a clone of me, then forced a doctor to use a revolutionary new technique to transplant my brain from my old body, which was kept in deep-freeze by the Hoplites.

"Oh, and I'd like you to meet that one loyal commander, although you have already met before." Alexander nodded at the door.

"Will, meet Colonel Josh Daniels."

lol bet you didn't expect that

More to come tomorrow! Hope you enjoyed this little snippet lol, I may actually post more tonight!

Feedback really appreciated, it encourages me to write, and thanks for reading.

Chris AKA Nemesis
Old February 2, 2003, 16:29   #32
SKILORD
Never Ending StoriesCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

nice job
Old February 2, 2003, 16:58   #33
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 08:47
How come the recent installments are too short, Nemesis? Don't starve your readers here.
Spore page
Old February 3, 2003, 23:03   #34
cbraund
Prince

Justin watched as Spartacus jumped into a Joint Strike Fighter that would take him to the Avengers.

He had been left in charge of the city, while Nicholas recovered, but for now he had other things on his mind.

Like the message he had received just an hour ago.

"Your son is alive, our doctors saved him. He will be our bargaining chip in securing our safe passage out of this godforsaken city. Meet us alone in City Square if you wish to see your son again."

City Square was very close to the rebel district, and nothing like the huge Victory Square that lay outside the Palace.

He knew he had to go, but he knew he couldn't offer them the peace they wanted. It was a hopeless gamble by a desperate father.

But he went.

"Nick, I've managed to get to a comms link for two seconds! Listen to me, they're using me to get my father down here to kill him! You must come and save him!" Josh's image appeared on the communications screen infront of Nicholas as soon as it was received.

"Let's go, now!" Nicholas ordered.

Sorry for this short piece lol, but REALLY busy!

Chris AKA Nemesis
Old February 3, 2003, 23:43   #35
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Argh! You are killing us by these shorts! More, please.
Spore page

Last edited by vovan; February 7, 2003 at 21:59.
Old February 4, 2003, 00:05   #36
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 00:47
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Whose a Wilfred Owen fan then?

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old February 4, 2003, 13:38   #37
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 15:47
Im a Wilfred Owen fan come on Chris give us the goods, we love it
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old February 5, 2003, 23:54   #38
cbraund
Prince

City Square was the only one in the city where a statue of Alexander still stood - it was built as a memorial to those that died in the invasion of Russia right after Phillip's death, and Spartacus would not rip down a memorial.

Justin entered it slowly, watching for an ambush. He knew that it was most likely a trap, and now knowing that Alexander was possibly still alive made him cautious.

"Dad!" Josh called from the statue.

The voice stirred the memories deep inside Justin, making the adrenaline start rushing and the anger start building as he prepared to do anything to save his son.

He remembered rushing from first battle of the Civil War, when Spartacus for the first time had supposedly killed Alexander, to the hospital, just in time to see Josh born.

He remembered desperately trying to find time to be with Josh while he was growing up, as the chaos following the first round of the Civil War engulfed Greece and Justin was one of the few who could help stop it.

Then there were those years of peace after, the lull between the wars, and he had been able to spend more time with Josh, enough that his son had decided to follow him into the Hoplites.

Then there was the German war, just after Josh graduated from the Hoplite Military Academy. Nicholas being kidnapped by the Germans triggered that war, and Justin had missed his son’s graduation as he was leading a rescue mission.

He had always regretted missing that, and had made sure to be present for the day that Josh took his oath of allegiance and was sworn into the Hoplites, as well as supporting his son throughout the arduous training that even after the Academy the Hoplites demanded. A year later, and Nicholas, now King, had promoted Josh to command the Hoplites.

Then came Alexander’s second coming. Discovering that the Hoplites had never been fully under his control shook Josh’s confidence, and he had never really recovered from that, always seeking his father’s agreement to all his plans, and basically returning to being a soldier that followed orders rather than give them. In the decades that had followed the Civil Wars, Justin had watched his son grow once more, but he had never recovered from the betrayal. And now in his forties, Josh seemed set to follow orders for the rest of his life, or at least until his father died. Justin was one of the few people who thought that his death would actually bring Josh out of his shell a bit more - make him less cautious with no father watching over him.

And now that man stood helpless in the Square, his hands cuffed behind his back, around the leg of the statue.

For one second, he looked just like the innocent little boy who had so desperately seeked approval from his father, the big strong soldier, and told him “I want to be a Hoplite just like you daddy.”

The rage was building, but Justin remained calm as he walked closer towards his son, constantly looking out for threats.

Little did he know his son was the biggest threat.

Josh’s arms came from behind the statue’s leg, and it soon became apparent to Justin that his son wasn’t cuffed.

And that his son had a pistol.

The pistol aimed at Justin, and he stopped, frozen with shock and denial.

Surely his son couldn’t be in league with Alexander!

“Son?” he said quietly.

“Sorry, but you are no father of mine.” Josh growled.

Justin looked startled and instinctively reached for his own pistol.

“Don’t, or I’ll be forced to shoot.” Josh snapped.

“Why?” was the only word Justin could say.

“Because I had always been looking for your approval when I was growing up, and when you were around you were always too busy with your work to show me that you were proud of me! Because you left mother to cry while you went off on dangerous missions, never once thinking about her! Because work always came first, and never your family! Because you care more about your King and his family than you do about your own! Because you never told me that the Hoplites weren’t completely loyal to me, and you let me think you were dead, proving your job came before me! Because ever since you returned from the dead, I’ve been in your shadow, never able to make a decision without it being second guessed by you and Spartacus! And because Alexander actually treated me with respect, asked for my opinion on things and proved that he demands less of his people that your great leader Spartacus does!” The outburst was straight from the heart, and it came out in a jumble.

“When did you turn against the true ruler?” Justin demanded, as grief, guilt and despair threatened to overwhelm him.

“When Alexander was on his way to the plane to go to Macedonia, after the battle at Thunder Rift, he contacted me saying that he had seen my exploits, and how he would like a person like me on his side. We met before he boarded the plane, and I decided that he was the best leader, and that once he became King again after leading the Macedonians into Greece, I would be well rewarded if I helped him. Well, as we both know, he never made it. I helped his son create a DNA clone afterwards, and then a scientist transferred Alexander’s frozen brain into his new body.”

“But how?! He was shot in the head for God’s sake!”

“Yes, we have found that the bullet entered and left through only a small portion of the brain, despite it being enough to kill him. The doctor made repairs enough that the brain could keep Alexander alive and would function normally, but the part that was destroyed was the part of emotions and pain. Basically, like you he has no emotions, but unlike you he feels no pain.” Josh said these last words with an evil smile.

“Why are you telling me this? If you’re going to shoot me, why don’t you just do it?”

“Because you are bait. Nicholas is following you, and we want to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. For once you two are gone, Spartacus will be forced to rely on me, and that will be a fatal mistake…” Josh grinned as he saw that his father didn’t see the true value of his and Alexander’s great plan straight away.

There was a commotion at the same entrance that Justin had used, and the rebuilt Hoplite command company entered with Nicholas at its head.

“It’s Josh! He’s holding Justin hostage!” One Hoplite shouted.

“He’s a traitor…” Nicholas realised.

Before he knew what was happening, the Hoplites were charging forwards, filled with rage and hatred.

Justin dived to his left, but his son had wait for his father to make an obvious move in one direction before firing, and a bullet hit Justin straight in the chest.

As the Hoplites charged forwards, a familiar voice echoed from the rooftops around.

”Fire at will!” Alexander roared.

The snipers cut down the Hoplites a long time before they reached the statue, and only one managed to shoot at Josh. He caught Josh in his arm, and the traitor returned fire, ruthlessly killing the soldier.

Nicholas began to back out of the Square, his pistol drawn.

But then he felt the pistol in his back.

“Drop your pistol and walk towards the statue.” Will ordered.

Nicholas knew he was doomed already, and swept one leg backwards, knocking Will off his feet. The King raced forwards, towards Josh, swerving, ducking and diving to avoid the sniper’s bullets.

Josh was charging too, but Nicholas went straight past him towards the statue, only briefly taking a shot at the traitor as he passed.

The shot missed, but it threw Josh’s aim off, and his shot was wild.

Nicholas dived behind the statue, and began to consider his plan.

Josh was edging closer towards the statue. He motioned for Will to go one way, while he went the other.

They closed around it, and Nicholas whispered a quick prayer before launching himself towards Will.

The ex-Hoplite was knocked off his feet by the King, and Nicholas towered over him, ready to deliver the killing shot.

Josh had got close to the statue again, and didn’t seem to be interfering for some reason.

Nicholas fired, but as he did Will kicked at him, making him lose his balance. The shot hit near Will’s head, before the ex-Hoplite rolled away and picked up his gun once more.

He heard shouts from one side of the Square, as Spartacus returned victorious from the battlefield outside Athens, with the Avengers.

But they were too late. Will was intent on avenging his family, and while he would now not be able to string Nicholas up on the statue like he had planned, he would still kill the King.

Nicholas struggled to get up, and Will delivered one savage kick to his stomach, sending the King back down onto the ground.

One shot, and no remorse.

Will pulled the trigger without a second thought, and the bullet splattered Nicholas’s brains across the Square’s cobbles.

Spartacus screamed in rage, and charged towards Will, the Avengers in tow.

Will smiled, and put the pistol in his mouth.

And blew out his own brains.

Spartacus stopped, shocked at the suicide, before rushing towards Nicholas.

He was dead, that was certain, but just below the handcuffed Josh, was Justin, who was still alive, barely.

Spartacus saw the look of terror on Josh’s face as he held Justin in his arms, and understood why the younger man would be so scared, seeing his father dying infront of him and being unable to do anything about it.

“Josh.” Was Justin’s last word.

Hope you enjoyed this bit, more to come tomorrow!

Comments appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

Chris AKA Nemesis
Old February 6, 2003, 10:42   #39
SKILORD
King

i like it. Very nice uk.
Old February 6, 2003, 15:46   #40
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Im off to get some eggs to have with my fried brain, definitely more twists than a Curly Wurly.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old February 6, 2003, 16:01   #41
SKILORD
King

The last chapter was nce and long too.
Old February 6, 2003, 18:03   #42
TheDarkCavalier
Warlord

Local Time: 06:47
Wow .... just wow ....
Old February 7, 2003, 21:56   #43
cbraund
Prince

The riots and rebellions were crushed within a week, a furious Spartacus leading loyal troops on manhunts against the rebels, and executing any who surrendered.

They had had their chance to surrender before, now it was too late, and no mercy had been given, just like they had given no mercy to the innocent people they had killed.

Now came the funerals.

Spartacus rode on horseback behind his son's coffin, flanked by Josh and other Hoplites, also riding.

The flag of the Greek Empire was draped over Nicholas as his coffin left the Parthenon on Acropolis hill, the sacred hill of Athens, where his body had led in state for the past week where over a million people had come to see it, to pay their respects to the King who had ruled under the shadow of Spartacus's famous reputation, but had proven himself a true Greek Royal when it came to battle.

The gun carriage carried Nicholas down the slopes slowly, as the men on horseback behind slowly followed.

Crowds even lined the route here, many women sobbing, especially since Nicholas had died so young, before his father and in such tragic circumstances.

There were some Spartacus had heard who expected Nicholas to rise from the dead, as so many of Greece's rulers had. They had seen so many leaders die that some no longer believed that Nicholas could die - he had to come back to life as his father and Alexander had done so many times before.

But Nicholas wasn't coming back, the bullet had destroyed most of his brain, so that even if any Greek scientists discovered brain transplants, Nicholas wouldn't be a possible candidate.

As they reached the bottom of Acropolis hill, soldiers from every Greek unit and ship joined the procession, marching. The procession began to turn towards City Square. Spartacus had ordered the detour to make a point.

They neared the Square where Nicholas had died, and the gunmen which must have been there to cut down the Hoplites so ruthlessly had disappeared so quickly from.

Spartacus nodded, and the cloth that was over the statue of Alexander was pulled down.

It was no longer of Alexander. Spartacus objected to destroying memorials, but he had no objections to changing them. The statue was now of Nicholas.

The crowd gasped and cheered, then were quickly hushed as the gun carriage drew near the statue.

As it passed, five Avengers who stood infront of the new statue presented their guns, aimed skywards and fired three times.

The rest of the journey went as a blur for Spartacus, who was deep in thought. In his mind though it registered that every street they went through was packed full of people watching and paying their respects.

Then they entered Victory Square. Here the carriage stopped, and the Avengers lifted Nicholas from it.

They saluted the monument as they passed it, then carried him in the front gates of Athens Palace.

Spartacus rode in behind them, towards the cemetary, where they would have a small private funeral.

And his son would be buried one plot away from Phillip. For the plot in between was reserved for the present King.

Spartacus.

He choked back tears as he realised that in the true line of succession, he should already be in that second plot, his son burying him, then living for many more decades before being buried next to him.

Spartacus held no illusions. He knew who was responsible in the ultimate scheme of things.

Alexander, who seemed to have disappeared since the riots had been put down.

But Spartacus would hunt him down, and this time that murdering son of a b*tch was really going to pay.

More to come soon!

Comments appreciated, and thanks for reading!

Chris AKA Nemesis
Old February 7, 2003, 22:06   #44
vovan
Emperor

I only had a chance to read the latest installments now. The last two. At last, no short stuff - nice juici full-grown chapters.

Great stuff this is. The plot has got to be one of the most engaging in any story so far. Like Chrisius here said, the story is ... twisted. In a good way.
Spore page
Old February 7, 2003, 22:34   #45
TheGuitarist
Warlord

Local Time: 09:47
Definitely great stuff. Very suspenseful and engaging.

Awaiting the conclusion.
Old February 7, 2003, 22:58   #46
cbraund
Prince

Spartacus led awake, thoughts running through his head about as to what Alexander could be up to.

And if it was Alexander, how?

He heard a scratching sound at the door, but remained silent.

Josh was standing by Spartacus's door, gun in hand. He was considering ending this now, six months after Nicholas's death, and a week before Spartacus's second coronation.

Then Spartacus's head turned towards him as he poked his head in the door, and he smiled warmly at the old man lying in bed.

"Just checking you were okay," Josh lied. He shut the door behind him and headed back to bed.

Spartacus grinned in the dark. Josh had been concerned for his safety ever since that terrible night.

His thoughts were interrupted by the squeaking of the patio door.

How the hell does Alexander get past that lock?! Spartacus thought angrily, then realised who it must be.

His dear brother, Alexander.

He reached underneath his pillow for his pistol, then jumped out of bed, ready to fight.

But it wasn't Alexander silhouetted against the moonlit balcony.

The moonlight revealed a very different figure.

A muddy Nicholas, hair matted with blood and eyes cold, stared back at Spartacus.

Spartacus screamed at the horrific sight, then saw the pistol pointed at him.

He brought his own pistol up to meet the unnerving stare of his supposedly dead son.

"You would kill you own son, dad?" It was Nicholas's voice, but it was cold and unfeeling, mocking and chilling.

A zombie?! Spartacus's mind raced.

But this figure was much quicker than a zombie. Spartacus saw Nicholas's finger twitch on the trigger, and he threw himself backwards and sideways onto the bed. A bullet smacked into the wall behind, directly where his head would have been had he remained still.

I may be three-quarters of a century old, Spartacus thought grimly, but I can still fight like a young 'un.

Nicholas jumped over the bed, and Spartacus retreated from it, then dived forwards over it, and underneath the dead man's legs.

He rolled, and quickly stopped then turned.

The supposedly-dead Nicholas turned quickly to aim, but he was too slow for Spartacus, who fired twice into his head.

Then collapsed backwards against the wall, feeling weak and despairing.

For in his eyes he had just killed his own son.

Josh shook his head.

"It's definitely only pig's blood, and the mud has been wiped on. As for the DNA though, it's an exact match..."

"So it is Nicholas!" Spartacus recoiled. What if it was Nicholas, trying to show that he was still alive? What if I mis-interpreted it? No, he shook his head. He tried to kill me, it isn't Nicholas in mind anyway!

"No, I think it might be a genetic clone."

"Either way, it's a signal." Spartacus spoke calmly.

"A signal of what?" Josh asked.

"Alexander is back, and he's coming for me."

More to come soon!

Thanks for reading, comments appreciated!

Chris AKA Nemesis
Old February 7, 2003, 23:02   #47
vovan
Emperor

Hey now, you feed us shorties once in three days, you starve us, and then you give us a ton of stuff? Chrisius' brain's fried already, you want to get rid of us, too?

The moral: give us more stuff every day! Definitely great read. Keep 'em coming, Nemesis!
Spore page
Old February 8, 2003, 09:07   #48
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Gurgle gurgle grunt grunt splurgh hummm,
Old February 8, 2003, 23:37   #49
cbraund
Prince

Spartacus nodded, and Josh pulled open the drawer.

This wasn't any ordinary drawer though. This was one in the Hoplite morgue, a small cabinet of death where bodies of enemies of the state, and some good people too, were preserved to be examined by scientists to try and figure out what made them evil, or what made them good, and for tests to be done on them concerning crimes.

The drawer opened to reveal the body of Alexander, Spartacus's dead brother - and looking exactly like the man that Spartacus had seen when Josh had been captured.

But he's still as dead as ever... Spartacus mused. It seems that the new Alexander must be a genetic clone, which means he's just got Alexander's capabilities, not Alexander's genius, experience or memories. Also, it means that he may not be completely evil... Unless a brain transplant surgeon got to him, but that's a new process, just developed in America...

Spartacus read the chart that Josh handed him.

"Last looked at seven years ago. That means the last time he was moved was many years before the American doctors even began to look into brain transplants."

"So while Alexander's supporters may have been able to get DNA slides from elsewhere, there is no way they could have got his brain." Josh said in a that's-that-then tone, and began to slide the drawer back in.

"Wait." Spartacus ordered. He saw stitches in Alexander's head, which wasn't unusual since the coroner would have had to examine the part of the brain hit by the bullet, but this was on the opposite side of the head.

They hadn't taken the brain out, merely looked at the damaged section to write the post mortem, and that meant there shouldn't be stitches on the other side.

"Scissors." Spartacus demanded of the medical Hoplite beside him. "Cut those stitches now!"

Spartacus noticed Josh turn pale.

"Don't worry, brains don't look as bad in here as they do on the battlefield," he grinned.

Except when the stitches were cut and the scalp pulled open, there wasn't one.

Great, just great. Spartacus thought. What must I do to kill that man?!

The last chapter to come tomorrow or the next day!

Comments appreciated, and thanks for reading!

Chris AKA Nemesis
Old February 9, 2003, 06:21   #50
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Hello everyone Im the new Chrisius Maximus freshly cloned from the babbling idiot that you all knew and loved. As you may or may not be aware my predecessors brain had been fried by this excellent story, but dont worry the inside of my new skull has been coated with teflon and I should be able to withstand the rigours of reading the rest of this story.

Great work as ever cbraund
Old February 9, 2003, 23:18   #51
cbraund
Prince

He stared at the screen, watching footage from fifty years ago.

"You should have let me have my own way. Then I wouldn't have had to do this. Such dangerous games you play, father."

Spartacus began to leave the Parthenon, once again the King of the Greek Empire.

He had been alive 75 years, and for one third of that he had been King. And now if he lived to a hundred, it would be half his life.

Too long, Spartacus thought, as the burden of the job he had been doing since the death of his son once again crashed down on him. He had the power to send men to their deaths, and had done so too many times, and had the ability to guide the destiny of an Empire.

He was glad he had good advisors, who would tell him if he was doing something wrong, whereas Alexander had overruled anyone who had questioned his authority, allowing him to make big mistakes.

Alexander. Spartacus thought sadly. Everything comes back to him. He certainly proves the saying "What doesn't kill me only makes me stronger"...

He walked out of the Parthenon, to millions of adoring citizens, crowded around the Acropolis Hill, all the way into both Victory and City Squares, and all of the summit that they were allowed in. The way down was lined with people too.

He nodded at Josh, commanding the small Hoplite guard. The security was low, admittedly, but there were four Hoplites including Josh at Spartacus's side, and police armed with batons were holding the crowds back. The two regiments of Hoplites, and the one regiment of Avengers were the only forces inside Athens, and they were in Athens Palace waiting to parade for their King.

He walked through the guard, and felt a chill go down his spine.

Something isn't right here...

He glanced around. The four Hoplites were the closest people for about ten metres, where the crowd waited for him to walk to the podium and make his speech.

The policemen held them back, and he couldn't see anything wrong, but he could feel it.

Oh well, here goes nothing...

Spartacus stepped up to the podium.

And saw the two police nearest to him turn, and Josh draw his pistol, in response he thought.

The two police drew pistols from inside their uniforms, and Spartacus saw their faces.

A man who looked a lot like Alexander.

And Alexander himself.

Spartacus went for his pistol, only to realise he wasn't carrying one.

He only had the Athens Sword, the sword all Greek Kings wore for their coronations, which had rarely been used in combat since Phillip had ordered it made for his coronation as the first King of the Greek Empire.

It was a good sword, probably better than most of the ones he used since it was made of titanium reinforced with diamond, and with a comfortable hand grip, but it had rarely been used and was no match for a pistol.

In the midst of that thought, he heard shots from behind him, which he assumed was Josh and the Hoplites firing at Alexander, but he turned to see Josh aiming his pistol at the other Hoplites. They had their pistols out, and had fired, but their rounds had been replaced with blanks.

Josh was a traitor.

It hit Spartacus like an entire Hoplite regiment, and his mind furiously raced through the past, looking for the signs that must have been there.

One made Spartacus feel sick to his stomach. Justin's last word hadn't been a doting father asking his friend to look after his son, but a warning that his son was a traitor.

And a murderer.

Spartacus nodded his submission to Alexander, then watched as Josh slowly guided the three Hoplites to the side of the spectacle.

"The great Spartacus, finally brought to surrender by people he thought he could trust. How typical." Alexander mocked him.

"You won't get away with this, the Hoplites and the Avengers are only down in the Palace, and they will never accept you as King. You may get other regiments to join you, but they won't while the Hoplites and Avengers are against you. And I know this time, you have none of the Greek Army with you."

"Who needs them? In the time since dear little Nick's death, I've been building an army of a different kind.

"A clone army, based on a certain friend of yours. Justin Daniels, the perfect soldier - obedient, trustworthy and a deadly fighter."

Spartacus's blood ran cold.

"That's right. I have ten regiments of these elite Hoplites surrounding the Palace now, and they will destroy your little fanatics if they don't surrender. As for the loyalty of the people, I think they will be swayed by the ten thousand clones I have within their midst.

"Now, order your citizens and your soldiers to lay down their arms and support me, their true King, dear brother." Alexander ordered.

Spartacus simply nodded, and walked towards the microphone that would carry his voices to the millions of citizens, and on TV would carry his voice to the entire Greek Army.

"My people, it seems this will be my last order as your King. I order you to recognise the true King," he shot a venomous glance at Alexander, who merely grinned.

Spartacus drew the Athens Sword, and knelt, leaning on the sword's handle.

"Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori." Spartacus said, earning a bemused look from Alexander, who didn't speak a word of Latin. But Josh and the Hoplites with him did, and he was already moving to stop them.

"This will probably be my last act as your King," Spartacus continued, kneeling still. Then he stood quickly, thrusting the sword skywards and catching Alexander off guard. "I order you to fight, fight this evil, never surrender! For it is good and glorious to die for your country!"

The bullet screamed past Spartacus's head, as he was already moving now.

So were the crowd and police, already surging for those who had produced guns.

The fires of hell had come to Athens, but the people were ready to fight for their freedom.

And Alexander cursed his mistake as crowds and one of the Hoplites charged at him.

Lt. Colonel Sean Roberts, in command of the regiments based at the Palace for this celebration had been watching the drama unfold on the huge TV in the Palace courtyard with those regiments.

They had heard Alexander's words, and noticed the forces moving the crowd away and assembling at the gates.

But they had waited to see Spartacus's orders.

And now they had them.

The Hoplites and Avengers charged under the main arch out towards the parade ground, and the main gates where Alexander's troops waited.

The gate fell as Alexander's forces smashed their way in, but they met the furious "fanatics" as Alexander had called them.

Sean was leading the charge, and was shaken by the expected - that the clones would look like Justin, just with dyed hair or facial hair to help them blend into the crowd.

The charging forces had bayonets ready, and many had pulled out their swords.

No one really had a battle plan, but one was forming in Sean's mind.

Looking at the huge forces infront of him, he just hoped it would work.

Spartacus turned, to see Josh finishing off one of the Hoplites, the other two having rushed to fight the other two invaders while the third wrestled with Josh.

The bullet ended the Hoplite's life, but his death grip closed on Josh's pistol, dragging it down with him.

Josh fought to pull it away from him, but his hands were slick with blood.

He saw Spartacus charging at him, and fumbled to draw his sword.

For seventy five years old, he sure is fast was the thought going through his mind as his hand finally grasped the handle.

He drew the sword, and he moved to parry Spartacus's first swing.

Spartacus put everything he had into that swing, all the anger at his son and Justin's death, at Josh's betrayal, and at Alexander.

And it worked. The titanium blade cut through Josh's sword, and Josh looked stunned as he was left with a stump of a sword.

Just shows I really should have asked for better equipment for the Hoplites, was the last thought to go through his mind as Spartacus swung again, this time aiming for his neck.

The two forces had met in a huge clash, and the initial killing had taken place. Sean had expected the clones to get the upper hand, since Justin had been renowned as a great swordsman, but whether it was through the clone's lack of experience or the absolute fury of the loyalists, the exchange had been fairly equal, or possibly even in the loyalist's favour.

He had then ordered the Hoplites to begin withdrawing, as the Avengers, who had been further back due to their position in the courtyard opened fire to cover them.

They had withdrawn not to the courtyard, but into the Palace. This fight was one in which Spartacus wouldn't give a damn what damage was caused to the Palace or anything in it, and it's structure would help the defenders.

The Hoplites had taken up positions at the top of the grand staircase that greeted people who entered the Grand Hall of the Palace, and now began to fire upon the clones as they followed the Avengers in and up the staircase.

Not even Justin's abilities in the clones could stop the slaughter. Alexander had overlooked the fact that the clones had no experience, just abilities, instincts and training, and that in this big a mass they were easy targets.

But they were still pushing forwards, and the retreat up the two staircases leading up either wall from this main staircase began.

The Hoplites split into their two regiments, with each going to one staircase. The front ranks had bayonets and swords ready, fighting the front ranks of Alexander's forces, while the rows behind fired either at those forces still entering the Grand Hall through the front doors or over the shoulders of the men infront into the front ranks of the enemy.

The Avengers had rushed up to the next landing, and now aimed down at the clones below them, who were pushing in a huge mass up the staircase, then splitting into two groups to shove themselves against the slowly retreating Hoplites.

Swords were soon dropped in the front ranks of both sides, as the crush left little room for swinging or stabbing with a sword. Instead both front ranks kept to bayonets, shoving them hard into each other's ranks, and unable to pull them back out. Swords and bayonets reached over their shoulders to kill yet more of the enemy's front ranks.

The slaughter was on both sides, but the invaders were the ones losing the most men as they had the worse position.

But they had men to spare. The loyalists didn't.

Spartacus barely noticed the slaughter amongst the crowds, who were butchering the clones amongst them, even if they surrendered, which very few did.

He was concentrating on Alexander, who had broken free of the crowds around him to rush at Spartacus.

Alexander had his sword drawn, knowing that was the way this fight would be settled - not with some cowardly pistol. He didn't worry about his sword breaking, it was made of titanium too, since he had known what the Athens Sword was made of, and had prepared just incase it came to this.

The two met with a clash of swords, as they had so many times before.

Spartacus parried Alexander's original swing, then thrust towards his stomach.

Alexander knocked it aside, and kicked Spartacus's knee, forcing him down onto it.

Alexander tried to play this advantage by stabbing downwards, only for Spartacus to dodge to one side, and stab into Alexander's left armpit.

Alexander jumped backwards instinctively, allowing Spartacus to leap to his feet.

He's old! I should be able to defeat him easily now! Alexander raged. And why did I jump backwards when I can't feel any pain! Although it seems the anger neurons have reconnected...

The rage built inside him, and he charged once more at Spartacus.

Spartacus was surprised at the renewed fury of Alexander's attacks, and parried one after another. He backed away, and Alexander followed.

Then Spartacus tripped on a step of the Parthenon, and fell backwards into a pillar.

Alexander screamed in triumph as he stabbed the sword into Spartacus, listening carefully for the clang of metal on stone to make sure the sword went all the way through.

It did, and Spartacus collapsed on the steps of the Parthenon.

The clones finally poured into the Throne Room, the loyalists's last refuge, to meet a hail of gunfire.

They were beginning to run out of ammo, and Sean just prayed for the battle to end soon.

The rush of clones continued, and more were cut down.

Then no more came.

They had won.

Spartacus put his hands over the wound, a rasping sound coming from his lungs as he spoke.

"You may have killed me, but the people will never surrender."

"You may be mistaken dear brother. See how they have stopped to watch this fight? Everyone knows that the Kings of Greece are it's heart, and whoever wins here will win the heart of this great nation."

The words were boomed over the crowds, where many jeered them.

"Now, Spartacus," Alexander picked up Josh's pistol, which had been carefully marked to prevent any mishaps this time. "It is time to die."

He pointed the pistol, and his finger reached for the trigger.

The people looked away in horror, and heard the gunshot, but looked back at the TVs or the drama infront of them to see Alexander collapse, a bullet having gone straight through his brain, shattering it once and for all.

"I found out that he murdered Phillip, my grandfather." Alex Jnr explained simply to the dying King.

"Like father, like son." Spartacus rasped with a smile. "You will make a fine King," he said to someone he had never met before.

And with that he surrendered to Death, who had finally claimed the life of this great King.

The remaining clones laid down their arms, and Greece wept.

Then went up a cheer that began from the Palace.

"The King is dead, long live the King!"

King Alexander II rode behind Spartacus's coffin, marvelling at the millions that had turned out for this, the funeral of the King.

The day before had been the funeral of all those who had died in this tragedy, those who had died a good and glorious death fighting for their country.

Alex had ordered his father's remains turned into ashes, where they would be placed between Spartacus and Phillip, where Alexander could be watched by their ghosts.

The future was bright for Greece, and the Civil Wars had finally ended.

But it had claimed the lives of three great Kings - Phillip, Nicholas and greatest of all, Spartacus.

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori, Alex thought as the procession reached the Palace.

That's it! Thanks for reading!

Comments appreciated!

Chris AKA Nemesis
Old February 10, 2003, 00:35   #52
vovan
Emperor

Great stuff, Nemesis! Like all the previous stories, very engaging, and interesting. Read the last two installments on one breath.
Spore page
Old February 10, 2003, 05:45   #53
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Bravo
Old February 10, 2003, 22:09   #54
TheDarkCavalier
Warlord

Local Time: 06:47
A truly wonderful ending to a fantastic series...

to Nemesis!!!
Old February 11, 2003, 16:49   #55
TheGuitarist
Warlord

Local Time: 09:47
Definitely a masterful ending to an incredible series. The suspense is kept taut throughout the whole thing, and the end is truly magnificent.

Long live cbraund!
Old February 11, 2003, 17:00   #56
SKILORD
King

How long did it take to write that last chapter chris?

Nice job, you've inspired me to write the next part of Crusader now....
Old February 11, 2003, 18:00   #57
cbraund
Prince

About half an hour to an hour.

And thanks everyone for their compliments

Chris