Old January 20, 2003, 20:05   #1
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 11:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Next turnchat (starting 1325AD) discussion thread
Hey, everybody, you are welcome to comment any order or post any suggestions for the coming turnchat.

We can start deciding if Thursday is better than Friday or vice versa.
My best time starts at 22:00 GMT .

You can find the GMT time right here .
Old January 20, 2003, 20:22   #2
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:49
Do you want this topped?
Old January 20, 2003, 20:28   #3
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 16:49
I'd prefer Friday, I can't be there on thursday (every thursday).

Edit: I copied the text from the other orders thread, but that doesn't mean I'm going to post my orders here too.

Aidun
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG

Last edited by Aidun; January 20, 2003 at 20:59.
Old January 20, 2003, 20:48   #4
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
Do you want this topped?
Thanks, Arnelos.
But... nah, let this one detopped, for a while...
Lets see if this can stand by itself.
Old January 20, 2003, 21:19   #5
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro

Thanks, Arnelos.
But... nah, let this one detopped, for a while...
Lets see if this can stand by itself.
Ok, no problem.

Btw, with MarkG, it might help you PMed him as well... I PMed him 2 days ago and nothing's happened yet.
Old January 20, 2003, 21:35   #6
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 06:49
Regarding the latest save file, has anyone else discovered any errors in it? Namely several buggy texts overlapping other texts (such as the unit box at the bottom right), or anything like that at all?

I just downloaded the save to do orders, and my version of CivIII hasn't had any problems at all, but suddenly this has happened...?

(just FYI, no it has nothing to do with my computer problems lately, they are not related, and I plan on re-installing the 1.21F patch...)
Old January 20, 2003, 21:35   #7
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Arnelos,
Ok. Done

Last edited by Aro; January 20, 2003 at 21:42.
Old January 21, 2003, 05:14   #8
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I'd like Friday and as early as possible. I'm afraid that Thursday is impossible for me...
In any case, I can always appoint a deputy should you decide to hold the turnchat on Thursday.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old January 21, 2003, 05:56   #9
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Just to be shure... when talking about DM orders we'll using this numerical system (ET's method of numbering city radius tiles).
Or am I outdated? I did my research for the last 6 ~7 pages of the forum...

But if joncnunn has his own notation, just post it here.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	workersgrid001.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	34518  
Old January 21, 2003, 07:00   #10
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

SMC Request
This is a "discussion" thread is it not?

This war will be coming to a close probably sooner than we think, unless the Senate decides otherwise. The Germans will be annihilated, the Romans will probably remain intact but with some territory annexed by it's neighboring nations (not to mention us), and the Japanese, well, they will get what's coming to them.

I humbly request the training and construction of the following units; their birth-city is of no consequence...

5-7 Infantry to support the continued war in Germany
1-2 Ironclads to bolster our current Navy so it may protect our shores (and sink those Japanese ships, which are superior in number)

Additional artillery is not necessary, IMHO we have a sufficent artillery corps. However, due to our advancements in technology, Cavalry are becoming rather ancient, especially when thrown against Infantry defenders. I will not request Cavalry to be built during my term.

If each RA could authorize building 1 Infantry in their seperate regions, that would most likely suffice, although I understand that this request may not be possible immediately.

I will post my review of the military shortly. Thanks

- SMC Meshelic
Old January 21, 2003, 12:02   #11
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Meselic, I'll ensure that there are at least as many Infentry on the main land built as you requested and also cancel any artillery and Calvary builds.

On the Ironclad or too: Is there an estimate on how many turns are left before we willhave the tech to build more advanced Naval units?
Old January 21, 2003, 15:55   #12
Meshelic
King

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
Meselic, I'll ensure that there are at least as many Infentry on the main land built as you requested and also cancel any artillery and Calvary builds.
Thank you joncnunn!
Quote:
On the Ironclad or too: Is there an estimate on how many turns are left before we willhave the tech to build more advanced Naval units?
Not sure on that one, but last I looked at the save we were awfully close to being able to construct Destroyers and Submarines.

Go head and cancel my orders for Ironclads, a few more turns and we will be able to build much stronger naval units.
Old January 21, 2003, 18:02   #13
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 10:49
I might be able to fit in an infantry build for Uber Isle, but there might be more pressing matters with corruption
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old January 21, 2003, 18:40   #14
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Panzer32, I converted several Art builds on the main land to Infentry builds on the main land. I'll credit Uber Island with one of those Infentries to cover Uber Island's obligation for the war with Germany & Rome. (Unless an Inf is needed specifally on Uber Island for defense of that island.)
Old January 21, 2003, 19:56   #15
Meshelic
King

Thank you RA's for your cooperation. I hope that my military requests will not hamper your current build queue's too much....
Old January 21, 2003, 21:28   #16
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 08:49
Quote:
Additional artillery is not necessary, IMHO we have a sufficent artillery corps. However, due to our advancements in technology, Cavalry are becoming rather ancient, especially when thrown against Infantry defenders. I will not request Cavalry to be built during my term.
Actually we do not have enough Artillery, but we have enough for the current campaign. You see we were very clever and made sure Germany would not have access to rubber so no Infantry.

Our high 20's Artillery count is ok for rifleman, but realistically at this point we need to be prepared to go after Infantry in hilly metropolises. This will require another 20 or so, but there isn't any hurry.

We should not write off our Cavalry yet. Unlike RL where Cavalry went obsolete almost overnight when Tanks appeared, within the Civ3 setting, there remain tasks for a super fast 3 move attacker during the age of Tanks. That is unless you are Germany and have a 3 move Panzer UU.

Do we need more Cavalry? Just to replace losses until the age of Tanks. If we are lucky this will be none, but the RNG works in mysterious ways.

Quote:
Not sure on that one, but last I looked at the save we were awfully close to being able to construct Destroyers and Submarines.
Destroyers and Transports should be available in about 1360. Subs will take a little longer.
Old January 21, 2003, 21:36   #17
Meshelic
King

Quote:
Originally posted by roadcage

Actually we do not have enough Artillery, but we have enough for the current campaign.
Thanks for clarifying roadcage. I meant in terms of the German/Roman campaigns....we have enough. There hasn't been much talk (or decisions) being made on what to do beyond Germany, other than going after the English...which in that case we will be prepared to assault them hopefully by the time this war is over. Actually, by the time this war is over we'll be in a very good strategic position to take England from the north, south, and west.....all over, effectively driving them into the sea....

ALTHOUGH the English campaign rests solely on the shoulders of the Senate, as to when it should occur...

Quote:
Destroyers and Transports should be available in about 1360. Subs will take a little longer.
Danke!

Meshelic
Old January 22, 2003, 10:20   #18
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

I know this will get flamed, but we need to abandon Frankfurt and use one of our inventoried settlers to replace it. Turning 8 resisters requires too much of our meager forces to be worth the candle. The question that arises, is should it be replaced at the same tile, or moved slightly closer to Leipzig. By moving closer to Liepzig, we will be able to fire our Artillery at Leipzig one turn sooner. And I expect a similarly high resistor count out of Leipzig so that New Frankfurt being closer is not a problem. We will most likely be moving Leipzig as well.

Greeks have been moving Northward, probably targeting Heidelburg, and the Aztecs have probably been beating on Heidelberg for some time. What I am trying to say is that it is unlikely that Heidelberg will be in blue togs when we get there so our focus beyond Leipzig should probably be some other city.
Old January 22, 2003, 11:34   #19
Aro
lifer
Emperor

I can agree with abandoning Frankfurt (Btw, I like your plan about found the city in a spot closer to Leipzig).
I would like to keep Berlin. The Observatory, you know...
Old January 22, 2003, 15:27   #20
Arnelos
Emperor

Aro, I no longer have the ZpellZ, so I assume that you now have them
Old January 22, 2003, 16:03   #21
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
I can agree with abandoning Frankfurt (Btw, I like your plan about found the city in a spot closer to Leipzig).
I would like to keep Berlin. The Observatory, you know...

I've changed my mind about Frankfurt over the last day. I now agree with Roadcage on the matter of burning this wretched thing.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old January 22, 2003, 16:26   #22
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
Aro, I no longer have the ZpellZ, so I assume that you now have them
Yes, I have. Thank you, Arnelos.
Old January 22, 2003, 16:33   #23
joncnunn
Emperor

Do I need to place something in my orders about building "New Frankfurt" in it's new location or is that part of SMC?
Old January 22, 2003, 17:23   #24
roadcage
Prince

Yes, I think it would be appropriate to say something in the orders. I think northeast one tile from current city is the spot but do not have game access here to verify.

Be sure to rr and have the settler in place before we abandon Frankfurt so the settler can then build. With this positioning, we should be able to fire on Leipzig in 1330 ab.

We also need to be looking at the old Cologne (threatens persia) and Vladivostok (threatens Ravenna)city sites. I believe both have merit and why should we let the AI's take them.

If we do this we will have exhausted our settler inventory and should make some more.
Old January 22, 2003, 17:28   #25
Meshelic
King

joncnunn, I will be abandoning Frankfurt. That will be in my orders for this upcoming turnchat.

You may mention it in your orders as well if you wish, but once it's abandoned that area is under your control.

SMC Meshelic
Old January 22, 2003, 18:36   #26
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
I know this will get flamed, but we need to abandon Frankfurt and use one of our inventoried settlers to replace it. Turning 8 resisters requires too much of our meager forces to be worth the candle. The question that arises, is should it be replaced at the same tile, or moved slightly closer to Leipzig. By moving closer to Liepzig, we will be able to fire our Artillery at Leipzig one turn sooner. And I expect a similarly high resistor count out of Leipzig so that New Frankfurt being closer is not a problem. We will most likely be moving Leipzig as well.

Greeks have been moving Northward, probably targeting Heidelburg, and the Aztecs have probably been beating on Heidelberg for some time. What I am trying to say is that it is unlikely that Heidelberg will be in blue togs when we get there so our focus beyond Leipzig should probably be some other city.
hi ,

get some settlers out of it , we can let them join elsewhere , ....

have a nice day
Old January 22, 2003, 20:54   #27
roadcage
Prince

Followup- I propose the currently polluted tile immediately northeast of Frankfurt for the new site. This site allows bombardment of Leipzig in 1330 and changes tile coverage as follows prior to Leipzig:

Removes 2 overlaps with Hannover
Adds one overlap with Berlin
Makes 1 desert and 2 mountain tiiles unaccessable to any city
Adds 3 floodplains and one plains to our coverage.

Overall this location looks very good. However it will more or less commit us to relocating Leipzig as well due to increased overlaps when that city falls which should be very soon.

I believe that we should 'clean' the site first on general principal. I have a suspicion that we could just build on the polluted tile, but don't want to find out.
Old January 23, 2003, 14:29   #28
joncnunn
Emperor

Roadcage, in another game I've built directly on a poluted tile: it instantly clean uped the polution.
Old January 23, 2003, 22:25   #29
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Gentlemen, this is very interesting.

Quote:
...And this:

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
Meshelic, it's your call, but if we don't abandon Frankfurt this turn the city will go into disorder if you send more than a couple of troops over there.

Also, since we built Sun Tzus, any new city we build has a baracks.

I sugest that in this turn in this order:

1. Railroad connect to the poluted tile (don't rail the actual tile though, forming the town will clear polution and rail there.) (At the same time rail connect Berlin to the rest of the empire.)

2. Form New Frankfort

3. Abandon Old Frankfort

4. Place the wouded units you whould have placed in Old Frankfort in New Frankfort instead.
We should follow this plan.
(The poluted tile is railroad connected already.)
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	frankfurt.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	34810  
Old January 23, 2003, 23:56   #30
Meshelic
King

Hmm...never planted a city on a polluted square. I'm sure it probably gets ride of it, right? Just like it gets rid of jungle or forest when built?

Interesting...good plan Aro!