Old January 20, 2003, 21:01   #1
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 06:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
And I looked out to sea....
Chairman Meshelic's Journal Entry, January 1320 A.D.

January 13th - My campaign for Commander of Apolyton's military has gone more smoothly than I imagined. My opponent, MrMitchell, himself seems unsure of his own abilities, and has actually gone so far as to support my own platform! All jokes aside, I was relieved at the ease of my campaign, although I took it upon myself to continue riding the train all over the nation....from Ubergorsk, my home, to Jerusalem, Tassagrad, Another Glorious City, Gaia, Port Rouge, all the while continuing the win the support of my fellow Apolytonians....long have I traveled, however. Now that the elections are done and past, I will rest in my home in Ubergorsk, overlooking the ocean and taking in the warm air off the sea....

January 14th - Ships come and go, with their glorious sails standing strong and blowing in the wind, the cross of Apolytonia dramatically fluttering in the wind....I enjoy watching them pass by, on to foreign ports as well as our own....reminds me of my days when comrade Shiber and I journeyed to the far east in our rickety caravel, for back then we had no sturdy, strong ships like today. When we explored and found the Japanese, the Chinese, the Indians, the Zulus, people who had heard nothing of the Banana, nor Apolyton itself. Ah those were the days.....

January 15th - I write this entry now in astonishment, for as I look out onto the beautiful port of Ubergorsk, it is not Apolyton vessels I see but the reddened masts of the Japanese fleet! They do not appear hostile, but many Ubergorskians are crowding the ports and pointing in amazement. This is the first time Ubergorsk has seen foreign ships near it's harbors. The Japanese travel west, who knows where they are going?

January 18th - It was early in the morning, today, that a messenger from General E_T arrived at my door, banging loudly and awaking my wife and child. When I asked what the devil was going on, he told me grimly, "The Japanese have landed..." I rushed to Command Headquarters immediately, Senators, Generals and even President Arnelos were there, all of them debating what must be done. Some believed that the Japanese had landed on our shores merely to help us in our war against the Germans and Romans, others foresaw an invasion....

January 18th - This evening the Japanese attacked! It was a blessing nearly that they attacked when they did, for had they invaded hours earlier our glorious cities would surely be in German hands....General E_T appointed me to re-route supplies and troops to our cities for proper defense, thankfully they got there in time before the Japanese cavalry and longbowmen units arrived. They were defeated, but this latest treachery will not go unnoticed....

From the memoirs of Meshelic, SMC and Chairman of the Labor Party....
Old January 20, 2003, 22:04   #2
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

Local Time: 10:50
Invade the treacherous bastards!

Er... um... peace and patience are the way of God, my son.
Old January 21, 2003, 12:59   #3
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 16:50
hi ,

a long , long time ago a warning was send to the senate , ........

there where travelers reports saying that some species where building invasion fleets , .....

more are on the way , ....

and still no funding for a navy , ....

have a nice navy day
Old January 21, 2003, 15:57   #4
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

panag you will be pleased to know that soon we shall have a glorious Navy, full of Destroyers, Submarines, and eventually Battleships, Aircraft Carriers, and AEGIS Cruisers. Could even be in the next 6-7 turns...(at least for the Destroyers and Submarines...)
Old January 21, 2003, 16:11   #5
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 09:50
I hope this game is over before anybody can build AEGIS Curisers.
Old January 21, 2003, 16:13   #6
Meshelic
King

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
I hope this game is over before anybody can build AEGIS Curisers.
AEGIS is a long way off, surely....

If we go for space race then we'll definetely have an opportunity to build them, although by then we probably won't NEED them..... I doubt the AI will ever have the production capacity to build them by then anyways...
Old January 21, 2003, 16:46   #7
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Meshelic, in all of my space race victories, neither me nor any of the AIs discover the tech that allows building of AEGIS Cruisers (it's beyond the Space ship part compoents.)

My sapce ship victories occur 1 or 2 turns after the Laser is discovered. (9 of the parts already complete with the 10th being pre-built as an ICBM and swaped to last part with the Laser is dscovered.)
Old January 21, 2003, 16:50   #8
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Meshelic, in all of my space race victories, neither me nor any of the AIs discover the tech that allows building of AEGIS Cruisers (it's beyond the Space ship part compoents.)

My sapce ship victories occur 1 or 2 turns after the Laser is discovered. (9 of the parts already complete with the 10th being pre-built as an ICBM and swaped to last part with the Laser is dscovered.)
I generally have the same thing happen. It's one of my gripes about Civ3 that the Modern Age whips by so fast that you hardly noticed there was one

That said, I really want to WIN THIS GAME ALREADY, so I won't mind this time
Old January 21, 2003, 17:08   #9
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 08:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
That said, I really want to WIN THIS GAME ALREADY, so I won't mind this time
Ditto.
Old January 21, 2003, 18:29   #10
Meshelic
King

I agree with all of you. Bear in mind this discussion only started because of the mere mention of them, NOT because of any serious desire to actually build them. Had I left them out someone would have said "oh what about AEGIS cruisers?",

Whether we seriously build them or not, it's not something I'd like to focus a discussion on, mostly because just like joncnunn said, by going for the space race we'll be able to build the spaceship before the technology for AEGIS is even available, or necessary.

I was merely mentioning that they exist, not seriously requesting them to be built...
Old January 21, 2003, 20:24   #11
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

I love building huge fleets in Civ. Its half the fun. So, lets build a huge fleet and invade them.
Old January 21, 2003, 21:30   #12
Meshelic
King

I would support an invasion of Japan proper, although I suspect LOTS of opposition to that idea. Many, if not most, people here seem to no longer seek war, even against the treacherous Zulu and Japanese....remember, Shaka DID attack us and we sued for peace like a bunch of weaklings....

I'd support the invasion of Japan, but this would be a rather large operation, (coordinating Transports, Destroyers, Battleships, with Bombers, Fighters, Infantry, Tanks...etc).

The Japanese should be taught a lesson, beyond the destruction of their Imperial Fleet....
Old January 21, 2003, 21:39   #13
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Thud
I love building huge fleets in Civ. Its half the fun. So, lets build a huge fleet and invade them.
[rp]

We'd "save a lot of (our boys') lives" if we shortened the war by using a new super-weapon on their mainland to.... make our point.

[/rp]
Old January 21, 2003, 21:42   #14
Meshelic
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos

[rp]

We'd "save a lot of (our boys') lives" if we shortened the war by using a new super-weapon on their mainland to.... make our point.

[/rp]
You aren't suggesting a nuclear.....oh.
Old January 21, 2003, 22:57   #15
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

u should change your avatar to Truman!
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old January 21, 2003, 23:09   #16
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 11:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic

I'd support the invasion of Japan, but this would be a rather large operation, (coordinating Transports, Destroyers, Battleships, with Bombers, Fighters, Infantry, Tanks...etc).

The Japanese should be taught a lesson, beyond the destruction of their Imperial Fleet....
Talking about fun...

I know, we already won the game and so; we only have to build every improvement in every city, and wait for the Spaceship to Alpha Centauri. Well, it's ok to me.

But... I really would like to see and take part in such adventure... (I never played like that!)
An operation like that is a fantastic challenge.
(we could even have a stack of paratroopers and call it "Easy Company"! )

For everybody who wants to learn some logistic and strategy, this is an unique opportunity!

If we decide not to do that, I'm planning to keep some saves and, when the game is over, find a bunch of friends to play that invasion.

Just my two (devalued) cents.
Old January 22, 2003, 01:11   #17
Meshelic
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro

But... I really would like to see and take part in such adventure... (I never played like that!)
An operation like that is a fantastic challenge.
(we could even have a stack of paratroopers and call it "Easy Company"!
Ah, I remember the golden age of CivII, I would do so many overseas invasions....amphibious assaults...oh those were the days...I still do them in my private games....that reminds me, I've got a hankering to play a new SP game....

Quote:
If we decide not to do that, I'm planning to keep some saves and, when the game is over, find a bunch of friends to play that invasion.
Aro, I DEFINETELY want in on that!
Old January 22, 2003, 01:16   #18
Meshelic
King

I've tossed around the idea of playing a new game with the same map we've been using....it'd be a little unfair for the AI (unless I set it to DEITY, muwahaha) but imagine all the things that could have turned out differently....

Reminds me of several history books I've read, one of which is called "What if?" ....with essays by historians on "what if Napolean won at Waterloo?" or "What if the Confederacy defeated the Union?" or "What if the Germany Army in WWII moved to the Mid-East instead of attacking the Soviet Union?"

Ooh....ahh....
Old January 23, 2003, 18:32   #19
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

so what are we going to build in the end , .......

have a nice day
Old January 23, 2003, 19:57   #20
Meshelic
King

Well, not AEGIS cruisers.

Battleships, Destroyers, transports, possibly an aircraft carrier or two....probably a few subs.
Old January 23, 2003, 20:05   #21
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Well, not AEGIS cruisers.

Battleships, Destroyers, transports, possibly an aircraft carrier or two....probably a few subs.
hi ,

any details , like where to build them , what first , how many , etc , .....

we shall get AEGIS later on , so why not

have a nice naval day
Old January 23, 2003, 20:10   #22
Meshelic
King

panag, read page 1. You'll find your answers about AEGIS cruisers there.

Details?

Well for starters

1. Naval units will be built on coastal cities.
2. Naval units will be built on productive cities.
3. Naval units will be built at harbors.
4. Naval units will be built as they are discovered.

Does that help?
Old January 24, 2003, 16:58   #23
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

Details?

Well for starters

Does that help?
hi ,

this our youngest player know's , ....

if that is all the long and short term planning there is , ..... well then there shall be no navy , .....

have a nice day
Old January 24, 2003, 17:00   #24
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

Details?

Well for starters

Does that help?
hi ,

page "1" , well there is only page here and it does not given a sufficient answer , ....

have a nice day
Old January 24, 2003, 17:12   #25
Meshelic
King

Panag,

look again. It says that we will not build AEGIS cruisers because chances are we shall be done with the space race by the time we acquire the technology, thus making it unnecessary to build them.

panag, a little cooperation please. that's all I'm asking for, just a little.

Ok. Short term.

As soon as we can build Destroyers and transports, battleships, etc here are my initial requests:

6-10 Destroyers
5-10 Transports (depending on whether we invade Japan or not)
5 Battleships

those are my first requests, which I will make public one we research the technology.

They will be built wherever possible, since it's up to the DM and the RA's to decide amongst themselves where to build them. Preferably they will be built in the highest production centers as possible, especially the battleships, as they are pretty big projects for military units.

Aircraft carriers will follow shortly, again, when we have the technology. Once we have Flight, and Advanced Flight, I will make the appropriate build requests.

That is all for now. Any further questions, gentlemen?

SMC Meshelic
Old January 24, 2003, 17:16   #26
joncnunn
Emperor

Batleships : Yes; they are the queens of the sea.

Destroyers : Why? They become obsolete as soon as Battleships can be built and can be upgraded.

Transports: Won't upgrading all our Galleons provided sufficent Transports?

Air Craft Carriers : Why? Our core area is on the largest contientant. We have plenty of cities to base the Bombers out of.

Subs: Given the AI almost always escorts its Transports, we can't use more than a couple.
Old January 24, 2003, 17:19   #27
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

Destroyers : Why? They become obsolete as soon as Battleships can be built and can be upgraded.

Air Craft Carriers : Why? Our core area is on the largest contientant. We have plenty of cities to base the Bombers out of.

Subs: Given the AI almost always escorts its Transports, we can't use more than a couple.
hi ,

destoyers are great for patrol , they move faster , .....

subs , great for patrol in enemy country

carriers , great to bring the war to the enemy

"he who controls the sea controls the map" , ....

have a nice day
Old January 24, 2003, 18:51   #28
Meshelic
King

Quote:
Absolutely. Battleships are probably my favorites units overall, besides Bombers and Modern Armor....
Quote:
Good point. I usually base my preferences due to my SP games, but of course, my initial requests (ideas for naval) builds, will be reformed at the appropriate time. They do have a longer movement range, as Panag commented, though.

Quote:
Probably, but in the future a lot of the transport issues will be decided on whether we go after Japan, the mainland....we might need more. We'll see.

Quote:
Mostly in case of an invasion of Japan, we won't have bombers with long enough range. However, if we are generally peaceful the remainder of the game, we probably won't need them.

Quote:
They'll become more useful once the Manhattan Project is built. For self-defense mostly, of course.
Old January 24, 2003, 18:53   #29
Meshelic
King

Keep in mind that my requests for naval builds will be decided based on the situation at hand.

As it stands right now, we have an insufficient navy to properly defend against encroaching Japanese warships and galleons. But once the two new Ironclads are constructed (this turnchat) we'll be in a better position for defending our seas.