Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 21, 2003, 02:27   #1
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 07:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What's your favourite Asteroid movie?

Basically I want to use this thread to discuss how bad Armageddon sucked. I just can't get over it. Even though many years have passed. Mainly becase my brother was watching it on television the other day. Microgravity my ass . The gravity judging from the action sequences looked amazingly equal to Earth's gravity.

I prefer Deep Impact.
Old January 21, 2003, 02:32   #2
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 08:51
i was expecting the made for tv one to suck. But i was harshly dissapointed by both Deep Impact and Armeggedon... I guess thats what happenes when you get carried away by hype... shoulda learned my lesson by the time SW: episode I came out, but i didnt.
Old January 21, 2003, 03:37   #3
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:51
Can't remember which one is which to be honest?

I they would have dropped that stupid kid, I would take that one, which ever it was
Old January 21, 2003, 04:00   #4
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 10:51
This is like a "what's better, dr. pepper, mr. pibb, or mountain dew" poll.
Yech.
Albert Speer
Old January 21, 2003, 05:20   #5
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 15:51
I'm surprised you forgot the film Meteor, starring Sean Connery. What a classic.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old January 21, 2003, 05:29   #6
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 09:51
Yeah -- a classic 'no real science was harmed in this movie' natural disaster flick.

The science of Deep Impact was excellent, although it certainly suffered in the scripting department.

Armegeddon, on the other hand, was a complete travesty, especially in regard to the science.

...and why the hell would you need a vehicle-mounted chaingun on a 'nuke the asteroid' mission?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 21, 2003, 06:01   #7
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

so that a guy with space dimensia could shoot at you
Old January 21, 2003, 11:44   #8
mindseye
King

Local Time: 22:51
I actually saw a pretty good asteroid film. It was about a group of travellers who turn up one day at a bed-n-breakfast with a nice view of a small Oregon town. Turns out they are disaster-groupie time tourists from the future (fresh from the Hindenburg disaster). These are not people you want to have arrive at your inn. In fact, they came to watch an asteroid wipe out the town.

Although a modest made-for-tv flick, it wasn't half bad. At least as far as asteroid films go.

The best asteroid fuilm would have to be the 50's War of the Worlds.

Last edited by mindseye; January 21, 2003 at 11:51.
Old January 21, 2003, 11:47   #9
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:51
Re: What's your favourite Asteroid movie?
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident

Basically I want to use this thread to discuss how bad Armageddon sucked. I just can't get over it. Even though many years have passed. Mainly becase my brother was watching it on television the other day. Microgravity my ass . The gravity judging from the action sequences looked amazingly equal to Earth's gravity.

I prefer Deep Impact.
Though it isn't exactly an asteroid movie, we now have a tough new challenger in the "dumbest scientific premise ever" category, in The Core. Could the old champ be toppled? We'll find out come this summer!
Old January 21, 2003, 12:42   #10
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I preferred Deep Impact simply because we didn't "win"...that is, the asteroid actually hit. Arma got way too mushy...ick.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old January 21, 2003, 12:50   #11
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
Yeah -- a classic 'no real science was harmed in this movie' natural disaster flick.

The science of Deep Impact was excellent, although it certainly suffered in the scripting department.

Armegeddon, on the other hand, was a complete travesty, especially in regard to the science.

...and why the hell would you need a vehicle-mounted chaingun on a 'nuke the asteroid' mission?
best line in the movie though by far is when the psycho is riding the nuke like a mechanical bull...

"Get off...the nuclear...warhead"

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old January 21, 2003, 19:53   #12
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Yeah I saw the previews for the Core when I went to see Nemesis.

Looks like another movie with snazzy special effects and a terrible story.
Old January 21, 2003, 21:13   #13
axi
Prince

Local Time: 17:51
I once saw a nice low-budget film of that sort, with virtually no special effects. The film was strongly based on the plot.

There is a professor who has discovered some cave paintings suppsedly made long ago by an indian tribe. They had predicted all major events in history, but oddly enough the paintings stopped somewhere near our time and the last painting was that of an asteroid closing on earth. A couple of years before the events, his followers had made a big fuss about an asteroid that came close to earth by had eventually not hit it. Now another asteroid is coming close to earth and scientists predict it won't hit either. The guy' s followers decide that, since nobody will listen to them, they have to take matters on their own hands and hijack a nuclear silo, taking some hostages in the process. Their plan is to use the nukes to deflect the asteroid. Alot of fun stuff happens, but the best comes at the end. The daughter of said professor is convinced that the asteroid will not hit and is asked to persuade the hijackers, but at the last moment she deciphers her father's schematics and realises that the asteroid will not cross the Earth's orbit, but that it is going to split and that the one half of it is going to crash into the moon, shattering it to pieces (or chopping a large chunk of it, I can't remeber) and THEN the debris will devastate the planet. When the asteroid actually splits, the hijacker's nukes are launched in time, the chunk misses the moon and the girl saves the day.

Or something like that...

Is Deep Impact the film where, at the end, they run up into the Appalachians to get away from a rising tidal wave and when they reach the mountaintop they turn around and see the ocean having covered all the eastern seabord?
Old January 21, 2003, 22:06   #14
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

yes that is the one. The kid was driving his bike up the hills to get away from the tidal wave.

I think it was Chris rock (or was it the daily show?) who had a bit about Morgans Freeman's character. They say they finally get a black guy as president of the U.S. and what does he do? Is partially responsible for the destruction of the eastern seaboard. . It's funnier the way they put it.
Old January 21, 2003, 22:20   #15
axi
Prince

Local Time: 17:51
The movie I mentioned, I searched for it, but I can't find it anywhere...

I wonder if there are any non-US asteroid films made...
Old January 21, 2003, 22:39   #16
Demerzel
Warlord

Local Time: 14:51
they're prolly the ones where the asteroid is allowed to hit the US or the ones where the US doesn't save the world....again
Old January 21, 2003, 22:56   #17
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

All my bags are packed I'm ready to go
I'm standin' here outside your door
I hate to wake you up to say goodbye
But the dawn is breakin' it's early morn
The taxi's waitin' he's blowin' his horn
Already I'm so lonesome I could die

So kiss me and smile for me
Tell me that you'll wait for me
Hold me like you'll never let me go
Cause I'm leavin' on a jet plane
Don't know when I'll be back again
Oh babe, I hate to go

Armageddon this!

Old January 22, 2003, 01:31   #18
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

great song, bad movie.

Anyway, I dont like armaggedon cause its typical hooray~ good guy saved the world everything is fine and dandy.. aww self sacrifice, how noble bull crap. And even worse, I hate that Mod squad, Triple XXX and other crappy movie theme of "in order to get the best... we get the most unprofessional like" crappy plot. You call out a team of redneck oil drillers? meh~

Deep impact is lot better in that its not exactly all so happy go lucky. And whenever you can witness characters preparing for death, its worth it. I find it facinating to see people embracing death and facing them. They really did a pretty good job of displaying different kinds of people reacting to imminent doom. In addition, I find it appealing when they can give the ambiguity of letting the audience witness something beautiful while tragedy is occuring around them. The two teenagers did ended up surviving together, and we are left to conclude its a happy ending for them, but many people died and they have lost their parents. I kinda like that. Its real.

Though movie as whole wasnt too good.

Last edited by Zero; January 22, 2003 at 01:38.
Old January 22, 2003, 02:45   #19
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 06:51
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Armageddon, grrr. Makes me want to kill Liv Tyler. All she does is cry and WTF is up with the animal crackers?

So far it looks like the bananaroid is pulling away. Doesn't say much for the other movies.
Old January 22, 2003, 04:15   #20
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

exactly my sentiments Calc II

I did love how Deep Impact showed them preparing for death. A bit more dramatic than the emotionless Armageddon (well it pretended to have emotion, but it didn't). And I like the story of the teenagers. And Tea Leoni or whatever her name was facing death was kind of cool.

That's the thing about these disaster movies recently. Most of them don't really show how these events would actually unfold. Independence Day is another one. You have billions of people dying, and yet very little emotion is showed. That movie is so horrible.

and who voted for Armageddon!