DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 09:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
the operative funtion in this being that he is the chancelor
Which means that he gets the blame or credit depending how the economy does. It's rather like American politics in that respect.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old January 23, 2003, 17:10   #362
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 16:53
which means that he IS the chancelor...
Old January 23, 2003, 17:11   #363
DinoDoc
Deity

Too much ouzo in a day is bad for you.
Old January 23, 2003, 17:13   #364
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 07:53
Here's a quote from the lastest issue of The Economist.

"Russia, too, has cautioned America against mounting military action while the inspectors want to continue their searches. But according to a high-ranking Russian military source, an American-led attack will take place anyway. “According to the information we have, the operation is planned for the second half of February,” the source was quoted as saying on Russia’s Interfax news service. He added that the campaign was expected to last about a month..."
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old January 23, 2003, 17:15   #365
Bereta_Eder
Settler

which means, mississipian moneypenny that your IQ closely mirrors that of the KKK...

he IS still the chancelor...?
on what was he elected on????

not his suces with economy...

did you get it yet my little wiper snaper?
Old January 23, 2003, 18:06   #366
DinoDoc
Deity

According to the UN, is a "smoking gun" needed as France and Germany suggest?

Resolution 1441 didn't demand a smoking gun. It was an olive branch to Iraq to give them a chance to avoid military assault by proving that they had actually disarmed. So far Iraq's efforts at this have fallen far short of that goal. The effort to shift the burden of proof to the US only serves to further damage the UN's credibility.
Old January 23, 2003, 18:09   #367
Bereta_Eder
Settler

It can also be seen as pressure delivered from those opposing the war
Old January 23, 2003, 18:38   #368
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 15:53
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Considering how Schroeder is being drug over the coals for his handling of the economy, no.
Considering that he is still in power despite his bad handling of the economy, yes.

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.
Old January 23, 2003, 18:46   #369
Ned
King

Local Time: 06:53
Quote:
Originally posted by GePap

Well, If i put all my chips on 32, and the wheel stops at 32, certainly, everything was for the best. Doesn't mean I would ever put all my chips on 32, though.

Look, I can greatly disagree with the policy, but only fools and idiots utterly discount the possibility of good coming from a gable they would never take.

With war coming, we will all get the chance to argue the results, soon enough.

Well, the rest of m life calls: i shall return. tommorrow.
Two years ago, I hit three 29's in a row. On the third one, the crowd let out such a roar that someone else on the table "stole" someone's else's thousdand dollar chips. The police were called, and they replayed the video of the third 29 in a row. The police complemented me for being a lucky fool and arrested the theif.

The guy whose chips were stolen looked be 45. He had a stunning blond of about 18 with him. She was dress somewhat like Britney Spears, but her top was loose fitting cutoff that exposed some of the bottoms of her breasts. No bra.

Well, when I hit the third twenty nine, she jumped up and really put on a show.

Noone remembers the theif taking the chips.

I wonder why?
Old January 23, 2003, 19:22   #370
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
According to the UN, is a "smoking gun" needed as France and Germany suggest?

Resolution 1441 didn't demand a smoking gun. It was an olive branch to Iraq to give them a chance to avoid military assault by proving that they had actually disarmed. So far Iraq's efforts at this have fallen far short of that goal. The effort to shift the burden of proof to the US only serves to further damage the UN's credibility.
DinoDoc, I beleive the "burden of proof" issue is the critical dividing line between the two sides. When the French and others of their persuasion argue for more time to permit the inspectors to do their job, they seem to believe that the inspectors must find actual WoMD before we know that the Dec. 8th declaration was false. The underlying premise is that Iraq was not lying when they said on Dec. 8th that they had destroyed 30 thousand WoMD warheads, tons of VX, and their Anthrax and Smallpox bioweapons - even though they provided no verifiable evidence of their destruction.

The French and German positoins are so unreasonable as to raise serious questons about their motivations.
Old January 23, 2003, 22:39   #371
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:53
"Everybody cool down."

Joscka Fischer
German Foreign Minister
23 Jan 2003
Old January 23, 2003, 22:54   #372
Oerdin
Deity

Have you folks heard the latest news? It appears the German & French governments have gotten their panties twisted reguarding a statement Rumsfield made to reporters saying the frogs & krauts were being "problems".
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old January 23, 2003, 22:56   #373
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Oerdin, not quite. Rumsfeld openly insulted them, and they are rightly pissed. If I were Powell, I'd march over to the Pentagon and sock Rumsfeld in the teeth for his big mouth.
Old January 23, 2003, 22:58   #374
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
Have you folks heard the latest news? It appears the German & French governments have gotten their panties twisted reguarding a statement Rumsfield made to reporters saying the frogs & krauts were being "problems".
Huh? Rumsfeld has been a problem for a long time. Talk about sitting in the glasshouse...

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.
Old January 23, 2003, 23:06   #375
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 10:53
Quote:
If I were Powell, I'd march over to the Pentagon and sock Rumsfeld in the teeth for his big mouth.
Not that I think Powell is a *****, but I think Rumsfeld could kick his ass...
Old January 23, 2003, 23:08   #376
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Why does anyone care what France thinks?
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old January 24, 2003, 02:01   #377
Ned
King

I'm sorry, but France and Germany are a problem and if they begin making a stink about Rumsfeld, there will be a tremedous backlash in the US.

I don't know where all this will lead, but those two countries are supposed to be allies - on our side. But they are acting like they are on the other side.

We should begin to ask very hard question concerning France and Germany.
Old January 24, 2003, 02:27   #378
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 14:53
Only 36 months ago France, Russia and China were all lobbying to lift sanction against Iraq pre-911 so they could get there Pre-Gulf war debts out of baghdad (Totaling some 300 billion btw.)

Now france wants to "contain" Hussien in a box. And "Freeze" his WoMD program. What a joke. very nice. The ole' FP switcheroo when you realise how wrong you were in the first place.

You know the french made a killing selling those 200 Mirage F-1 Jets to Saddam's airforce. you know the ones that bombed the kurds in halabja? And those GCT Mobile artillery pieces used to gas the iranians in Karbala-5? Ya that was the great peace-loving french government all right. They got some nerve.

People ***** about Reagan giving 8 million dollars to Baghdad in the 80's. I dont wanna hear it. And here we have 3 totally responsibly UNSC members who built this guys army. Ya thats right. You dont see Iraqi F-16's and M1 abrams. Nope, you see Stuff from france, Russia and china. Mostly Junk, since none of these countries have a word for Victory anyway.

Ya go ahead. call me a troll. Its all true. Just look it up.
Old January 24, 2003, 02:29   #379
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Mostly Junk, since none of these countries have a word for Victory anyway.

I particularly liked that line...
Old January 24, 2003, 02:39   #380
Ned
King

Faded, I hadn't realized that France would stab an ally in the back for money.
Old January 24, 2003, 03:54   #381
HershOstropoler
Settler

Dino:

"So, "It's the economy, stupid!" doesn't really apply to German politics?"

Let me put it this way: German elections are usually not decided by the respective state of the economic cycle. Kohl won in 94, Schröder in 02.

"Which means that he gets the blame or credit depending how the economy does."

To a much smaller extent than in the US, and with much less impact on voter decisions.

Azazel:

"are you denying that governments have the ability to do this?"

To varying extents. A lot easier in the US and Israel, for example. Well, what should the german government have done? Beating the wardrum would have killed them at the polls.

Ned:

"Well, GePap, what if NATO declares war on Iraq? The French and Gemans do not have a veto there."

Darling, NATO does not declare wars. And if it would, NATO is running under the principle of unanimity.

"I hadn't realized that France would stab an ally in the back for money."

What ally?

Boris:

"Rumsfeld openly insulted them, and they are rightly pissed."

Bah. They should be amused.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old January 24, 2003, 04:01   #382
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by HershOstropoler

Ned:

"I hadn't realized that France would stab an ally in the back for money."

What ally?
So true. The last time the French helped us was in the 1780's. Since then they certainly have not even been friendly.
Old January 24, 2003, 05:22   #383
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tribune

Dunno; the North Korean strat works: 'Yes, you CAN go to war against us, but prepare to lose Seattle, if you do. And you know I mean it.'

Sounds like a powerful strat, really.
It depends on how much the President cares for Seattle really. IIRC they voted for Gore last time, so I wouldn't count on the deterrent if I were the Dear Leader, especially the closer we get to the election.
Old January 24, 2003, 05:49   #384
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Richelieu
What about Vietnam ?
I guess they figured 25 years was long enough. Besides that bastard Johnson screwed everything up royal by refusing to invade the north. Powel is right; either some is worth fighting for and you go all the way or you don't fight.

Johnson figured he'd just sort of fight and sort of not fight.
Old January 24, 2003, 05:58   #385
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:53
To be fair to Johnson, he did not know where the bulllets ended and the ICBMs began. It would be nice if all decisions could be black and white, but they seldom are.
Old January 24, 2003, 09:32   #386
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 17:53
Quote:
To varying extents. A lot easier in the US and Israel, for example. Well, what should the german government have done? Beating the wardrum would have killed them at the polls.
how so? I just hope that you won't say that the european people are better-informed, enlightened, and have a stronger political will, that us, lowly scum.
Old January 24, 2003, 09:42   #387
HershOstropoler
Settler

As for Israel, the situation of constant threat of security or even national existance makes it a lot easier.

For the US, several factors. Less cynicism, the particular style of american reporting, lack of information on foreign policy, appeal to nationalism.... all things that are just a matter of degree.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old January 24, 2003, 09:42   #388
HershOstropoler
Settler

You might still want to explain what exactly the german government should have done?
Old January 24, 2003, 12:04   #389
Ned
King

The US revealed yesterday that Saddam has let the scientists know that they and everyone in their families will be killed if they talk to the inspectors.

Is there anyone here on Apolyton who is even the slightest way surprised by this?

Last edited by Ned; January 24, 2003 at 12:51.
Old January 24, 2003, 12:09   #390
Drake Tungsten
Deity

I'm sure that Wolfowitz was lying about that, Ned. God knows that the Americans never tell the truth, while Saddam is a paragon of virtue.