Old January 21, 2003, 16:23   #1
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 06:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Discussion: Spies and Espionage - Soon I hope.
So when are we going to consider planting spies in other countries?

Which countries do we want spies in?

When do we want to plant them?

I think as we get into the modern age, it becomes more important to have planted spies. Between the anticipated space race, the need to set back (sabotage) "enemy" production and monitoring AI military (and Nukes), I feel that it becomes necesary to have spies planted for each of our major rivals. I see Greece, India, Japan and the Aztecs as major threats heading into the Modern Age. Rome, Russia, England and the Iroquois are next on the threat list while the remaining ones I feel are not significant enough to require spies, though it can prove to be usefull.

I also believe any plan we come up with must plant spies slowly and carefully. No more than one or two should be planted in any given turn.

Thoughts comments?
Old January 21, 2003, 17:02   #2
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 11:53
I totally agree. Our first targets should be Japan, Rome (as soon we make peace) India and Greece (the four top).
It's risky and expensive... but worth the price.

Btw, MSS, look at your PM box...
Old January 21, 2003, 17:14   #3
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro

It's risky and expensive... but worth the price.
Risky... yes very.
expensive, not to plant them, just to use them. But they are well worth the price just for the unit information.

Mss
Old January 21, 2003, 17:15   #4
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 09:53
If you guys really want the CIA for use in the current war against Germany, Rome, and Japan, I sugest that you guys go pass a bill to use the current Great Leader on either the CIA or else Wall Street.

(I would prefer Wall Street for the current GL, and have the next GL build the CIA)

Last edited by joncnunn; January 21, 2003 at 17:36.
Old January 21, 2003, 17:16   #5
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

But only AFTER the next turchat.
Old January 21, 2003, 18:18   #6
ManicStarSeed
Prince

Good exmple of teh cart befor the horse. I guess we need the IA to be built first. as that is the case, we should find an appropriate city to build it in.

mss
Old January 21, 2003, 18:18   #7
ManicStarSeed
Prince

BTW.... I do not believ that there is a real need to rush such an improvment....

Mss
Old January 21, 2003, 18:23   #8
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

YES! Finally the Shadow Service can play a real part in the game, outside of roleplay! Sweet.....
Old January 21, 2003, 18:35   #9
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

ManicStarSeed, there is no good city to normal build the CIA in at this time that will result in it being normal built before the Modern era begins. (Too many improvements neededing to be built)

That is why I sugested the use of Great Leaders for the Small Wonders.
Old January 21, 2003, 18:58   #10
ManicStarSeed
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
ManicStarSeed, there is no good city to normal build the CIA in at this time that will result in it being normal built before the Modern era begins. (Too many improvements neededing to be built)

That is why I sugested the use of Great Leaders for the Small Wonders.
Hmmm....

I am not sure that it is as important to get it up before the modern times (in what..20 turns) as much as it is to find a place to get it going so that we have it before the space race is hot and nukes become an issue...

Mss
Old January 21, 2003, 19:11   #11
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 08:53
Quote:
I hate to take on joncnunn like this because he is one of the few people who appear to follow what I post. We tend to be on opposite sides of most issues, and this case is no exception.

Civ3 is a game of balance. We have numerous cities that could build any of the small wonders now available. joncnunn will complain because it slows down his hospital program and pop rush, but realistically we only need to build pop fast enough to say on a 4 turn science program. We can easily defer one or two hospitals for Wall Street and the CIA if we really want to and still do the techs in 4.

So it is simply a matter of priorities. We all need to stop setting priorities based on our past play style and exploit the diversity that the SPDG provides. Try something new. See how it works when tweeked by the combined experience that we have here.

So far, the results have been simply amazing. And it is my hope that the best is yet to come.

Ssgt roadcage (retired)
Old January 21, 2003, 19:37   #12
ManicStarSeed
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by roadcage
Civ3 is a game of balance. We have numerous cities that could build any of the small wonders now available. ....
We can easily defer one or two hospitals for Wall Street and the CIA if we really want to and still do the techs in 4.

So it is simply a matter of priorities. ....
Thanks roadcage, this is my take on it as we have so may cities now, that we can spare two for the build of Wall Street and the CIA.

I do not pretend to know the current build order or priority, but I hope that we can make room for these two small wonders without any rushing.

later

Mss
Old January 21, 2003, 20:34   #13
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 14:53
Hmmm.... using the current GL to build the CIA....

What an amazing idea!

But I wonder where would we build it.

Like I said in the use of this GL thread, build CIA in Apolyton. Bring respectability back to our homeland! (It will get a little thingy after its name on the map )
Old January 21, 2003, 20:39   #14
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 16:53
hi ,

well as long as some people start to save for those agents , why not

have a nice day
Old January 21, 2003, 21:25   #15
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Espionage is VERY expensive, especially if we want to do it safely. We'll have to watch our spending, and make sure to make the right decision on where to send our agents....

panag has a good point ( ) about saving for the agents....with the amount of money we will be wanting to spend on rush builds, secret service missions, etc, this will be a term where watching our economy and amount of gold (umm...Lytons) will be very important, although of course I'm sure we all knew that anyways...

SMC Meshelic
Old January 21, 2003, 22:45   #16
Aro
lifer
Emperor

After the next few wars, we'll start a new era... the Cold War!
Spies, nukes, ONU...

Back to 60's!
Old January 22, 2003, 01:18   #17
Meshelic
King

Hmm....we wouldn't have a Soviet Union to oppose (or a U.S.A. depending on where you're from...!).

I wish Civil Wars still occured, like they did in Civ II, can you imagine? If half of Apolyton broke away and seceded....who would lead the other half???

Ah the possibilities....maybe Civ4 should reinstate such things....
Old January 22, 2003, 01:30   #18
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic
I wish Civil Wars still occured, like they did in Civ II, can you imagine? If half of Apolyton broke away and seceded....who would lead the other half???
Don't you mean original Civilization?

I never saw a civil war in Civ2, though I could have just been EXTREMELY unlucky.

I loved the civil wars in original Civilization, though... they made the game a lot of fun
Old January 22, 2003, 02:11   #19
Meshelic
King

Actually I never played the original, only the second one. And yes, civil war's DO happen in CivII....I agree, they made the game ALOT of fun!

Okay enough of threadjacking MSS's thread...

I agree with Aro's comments near the top: Rome, Japan, India and Greece should be on our top priority for sabotage and spying on....they pose the most threat to us now out of all the other civz, and they are nearest us in power, culture, etc....
Old January 22, 2003, 10:38   #20
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 08:53
A place spy mission is not expensive. It is just that it is almost always unsuccessful. I have only been successful when the target civ was commie, or monarch or anarchy. I have 100% failure rate against republic and democracy. And have never been interested in placing a spy within a despot.

The best thing about the cia and placing spies, is that it is a good way to get a democracy to declare war on you.

Come to think of it, that's an powerful arrow in the quiver of the progressive warmonger!
Old January 22, 2003, 10:47   #21
Meshelic
King

Quote:
Originally posted by roadcage

Come to think of it, that's an powerful arrow in the quiver of the progressive warmonger!
Old January 22, 2003, 15:29   #22
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Espionage is overly expensive for my tastes unless you're ALREADY in a war and need that troop information (which is pretty rare with the stupidity of the AI) or you want to CAUSE A WAR.

In my opinion, given the explicit purpose I usually use spies for (causing wars), allowing the use of spies should only take place if a war resolution with a given civ has already passed.
Old January 22, 2003, 18:26   #23
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos

Don't you mean original Civilization?

I never saw a civil war in Civ2, though I could have just been EXTREMELY unlucky.

I loved the civil wars in original Civilization, though... they made the game a lot of fun
hi ,

there are a couple of excellent scenarios here in the database , its great to see a country split in two

, , the government should put 250 a turn aside or so to start saving , spies is the first thing we need , the we can start with missions

have a nice spying day
Old January 22, 2003, 20:01   #24
Meshelic
King

panag we've got LOTS of money coming in. Have you checked the save recently? 250 is small-time compared to what we're making now.
Old January 23, 2003, 15:19   #25
joncnunn
Emperor

If we have more money than we know what to do with, my DM staff can put it to work rushing buildings.
Old January 23, 2003, 15:50   #26
Meshelic
King

We are making 600+ lytons per turn, correct? I'm pretty sure that's close at least, I haven't check this morning.

joncnunn - certainly you will have plenty of cash on hand to rush projects, in fact I encourage you to do so. Although the economics of our nation is not my forte' , I believe you should have plenty of financial support to rush-build certain projects.

On another note - I will probably be requesting future construction of military units in the coming week, although military production would not take precedence over industry and economy.

A question (and I will check the save too), but as far as you know, what percentage of cities house barracks?

SMC Meshelic
Old January 23, 2003, 16:01   #27
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Thanks to Sun Tzu's Art of War, we have barracks in all our cities in Abananaba. Additionally, we have built two barracks on Uber Isle.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old January 23, 2003, 16:35   #28
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic
panag we've got LOTS of money coming in. Have you checked the save recently? 250 is small-time compared to what we're making now.
Meshelic have you read the message , ....

it proposes to start putting something on the side for espionage , the rest can be used for whatever its needed , like building buildings we need , .....

simple
Old January 23, 2003, 17:38   #29
Meshelic
King

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

Meshelic have you read the message , ....

it proposes to start putting something on the side for espionage , the rest can be used for whatever its needed , like building buildings we need , .....

simple
ughh...yet again panag I don't think you understood what I'm trying to say. That's ok though. I don't make sense all the time. In fact I laugh at myself for constantly baffling others, and constantly baffling myself!

I won't even bother trying to continue with this anymore, for fear of probably being misunderstood.

but P.S., yes I read every single post on every single thread I'm interested in. I don't skip anything, anytime, anywhere. just FYI....