Old January 21, 2003, 16:44   #1
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 06:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Discussion: Calvary
Our Illustrious SMC made a comment I want to take further...

He does not want to build any more Calvary this term as they are becoming antiquated and in 8-12 turns, obsolete. How does the populace feel about keeping only a few (5-10) calvary and disbanding them in cities to sped along factories, poliece stations, temples or anything else needed? If I recall the are worth 20 (or 25) shields each when disbanding.

The only thisn that I see as an issue is thgat we need to keep up an apperance of military might to out rivals. We need to replace the calvary with tanks BEFORE they are disbanded so that we still seem strong. This issue is made worse by the worker intergration project. The AI counts workers and military units when considering military might.

Lastly, the computer (in 1.21f) does not consider relative unit strength in the "we are strong/average/weak" calculation....

Comments...

Mss
Old January 21, 2003, 16:47   #2
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:53
We've already have a few "charges of the light brigade"... cavalry are becoming VERY QUICKLY obsolete.

However, it's worth keeping them around until we either:

1. Have a number of tanks to replace them.
2. Have ended all land wars and are in the process of building tanks to replace them anyhow.

Since I think the building of tanks should WAIT until we've built all of those lovely factories, hospitals, police stations, and other necessary improvements FIRST, we should probably keep around a small force of cavalry until we get to the stage where we're pumping out tanks.
Old January 21, 2003, 17:20   #3
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Actually, in 1.21f, the computer does consider military strength, it's just the military advisor that doesn't.

Anyone wanting to know our true military rating can pull up the save in 1.29f and look at the military advisor there.
Old January 21, 2003, 19:16   #4
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 11:53
Just checked. The same answer in 1.21 and 1.29, no matter what civ.
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg military1.jpg (58.4 KB, 103 views)
Old January 21, 2003, 19:30   #5
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

The real issue is when we are finishing off the worker integration project and then disband many of our calvary for shields. We do not want our forces to drop to a point where the message becomes "average"

Mss
Old January 22, 2003, 11:00   #6
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:53
Keep in mind that cavalry are very fast, with 3 movement points. We may need them yet for performing strategic deep incursions into enemy territories in future wars, and it'll take a while before we can build a modern unit with 3 movement (Modern Armor).
Let us disband cavalry as we replace them with tanks (but not before, as already said in this thread) and keep about 5 around, until we discover modern armor.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old January 22, 2003, 11:46   #7
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I wouldn't mind dropping to average against one or two civs, especally if it will correct itself when the units are upgraded. It's when you get messages saying our military is weak compared to an AI that you start getting messages demanding tribute.
Old January 22, 2003, 11:48   #8
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 11:53
We can keep a Brigade (of Cavalry) or two, for strategic reasons, as said by Shiber. Anyway, we don't need to disband anything now. First, we'll finish our war with Germany (making peace or finishing the Germans) and Rome (almost forgot the Babs...)

The Japan war is a totally different story. At this point, we're fighting a defensive war (Btw, what about those workers walls?), and Infantry is good enough with our RR system.. If we decide to invade the Japan, we'll have to build a fleet and tanks, lots of planning and discussions, etc.
Old January 22, 2003, 17:56   #9
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 08:53
We can consider disbanding for shields but not yet. We need a fast attacker and Cavalry is it until we get tanks. And the number to retain should be much higher than the 5 suggested elsewhere in this thread.
Old January 22, 2003, 18:29   #10
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

We will need them. I don't think we should be disbanding any until we have a decent sized tank force.

Sell your photos
Old January 22, 2003, 19:03   #11
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

we are not going to face a serious danger in near future , so dont build them and invest in buildings that in some cases are needed , in case of an emergency we can see it coming down the line so we can act on it , it is indeed a waste of time and shields to build more cav at this point , a small force of 3-4 cav and a couple infantry with two artillery okay , but nothing more , we just should not waste our shields on them , lets get money so we can buy those tanks when needed

have a nice day
Old January 22, 2003, 19:14   #12
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Let's keep the cavalry, as a diversion and pillagers, if nothing else. Once we get tanks, if we don't immediately need them, then we can disband them in cities we'd rush build only.

As for buying tanks, as panag proposed, I think paying 1 lpt for cavalry is still a better investment than 400 lytons for a tank.
Old January 22, 2003, 19:20   #13
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Notice I never suggested we disband Cavalry....

We just won't be building anymore of them.
Old January 22, 2003, 19:28   #14
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Notice I never suggested we disband Cavalry....
Always remember that anything you say on the forums will be taken further. I am glad to hear that we wont be building more.

Sell your photos
Old January 23, 2003, 18:01   #15
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by realpolitic
Let's keep the cavalry, as a diversion and pillagers, if nothing else. Once we get tanks, if we don't immediately need them, then we can disband them in cities we'd rush build only.

As for buying tanks, as panag proposed, I think paying 1 lpt for cavalry is still a better investment than 400 lytons for a tank.
hi ,

"when needed" , ...... meaning like in case of an emergency , .....

we can build a nice force when we have the tech , that is not the point , the biggest point shall be the speed we get them with , so therfore we must invest in our buildings , ....

slowly we can start to disband them then , and after a couple of turns pay for them ( not again what it reads ) "when needed" , ....

have a nice day
Old January 23, 2003, 20:05   #16
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Well, we won't be disbanding cavalry. We'll keep the remaining units around, until they die off. Like others have pointed out, there are more uses for them, such as pillaging roads, blocking foreign settlers or workers from going to certain places, acting as a quick defensive support unit (like in Uber Isle for example, if it got invaded).

Certainly they will no longer be a part of our offensive or defensive military forces...more like the Reserve units that modern militaries these days have...
Old January 24, 2003, 17:03   #17
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic
Well, we won't be disbanding cavalry. We'll keep the remaining units around, until they die off. Like others have pointed out, there are more uses for them, such as pillaging roads, blocking foreign settlers or workers from going to certain places, acting as a quick defensive support unit (like in Uber Isle for example, if it got invaded).

Certainly they will no longer be a part of our offensive or defensive military forces...more like the Reserve units that modern militaries these days have...
hi ,

why keep reserves that we have to pay , .... we have reserves , we can draft , ....... blocking units , well our land is so big that after a couple moves they shall have the option , war or withdraw , .... we need modern up to date forces , not some old junk ,....

have a nice day
Old January 24, 2003, 17:18   #18
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
why keep reserves that we have to pay , ....
Meshelic already answered that.

Quote:
we have reserves , we can draft , .......
We can't draft fast units. As Meshelic said, we need fast units with 3 movement points for tactical operations.

Quote:
we need modern up to date forces , not some old junk ,....
So we keep a few cavalry around and pay 10-20 maintenance per turn. It's not such a big deal.
- Phantom of the Opera