Old January 21, 2003, 18:37   #1
MyOlde
Prince

Local Time: 14:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Using the Editor
I thought I could find out how to use the editor by RTFM but there is nothing ... not in my Civ3 manual anyway.

Would someone be so kind as to direct me to a thread that gives simple, step-by-step instructions for altering units: for example, what do I do to make a bomber's bomb obliterate an infantry or tank? Or what do I do to lower corruption?

Many thanks.
Old January 21, 2003, 19:02   #2
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 09:53
The help file is okay. There are many threads in the Creation forum that deal with specifics. (In addition, www.civfanatics.com has a creation forum)

To answer your specific questions, first make a new scenario (do not give into the temptation to change the master scenario).

From the Scenario menu select "Custom Rules"

From the dropdown menu on the left select "Units"

It will bring up a huge dialog box.

Select the bomber from the list of units.

In the list labeled "Unit Abilities" scroll down and ctrl-click on "Lethal Land Bombardment"

Now go to the Difficulty Levels tab.

There should be a slider labeled "Corruption", lower numbers means less corruption. This is the easiest way.

Other things you can do is change the Optimum Cities Number or add corruption fighting traits to buildings.

Save your scenario and load it into Civ3.
Old January 22, 2003, 04:26   #3
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Try the creation forum where you can find lots of poeple who are really into using the editor.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 22, 2003, 08:11   #4
MyOlde
Prince

Thanks, Warpstorm, for the detailed answers. And thanks to both of you for replying.
Old January 22, 2003, 11:28   #5
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 07:53
MyOlde - I think the best thing you can do is just explore the editor on your own for a few hours. Look at every single variable available for modding in the rules dialog boxes -- use the help function when you don't understand the variable (help is wrong sometimes, but generally pretty good). I'm sure the time will be time well spent -- even if you don't do any modding or any extensive modding, the editor itself offers up some tremedous game knowledge and insight that will help you understand how the pieces work together.

Catt
Old January 22, 2003, 17:30   #6
WarpStorm
King

Catt has it right. What it says in the editor is the 'real rules' of the game.
Old January 23, 2003, 08:07   #7
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Also you can change the terrain set to use Warpstorms W/Colours. As a proof of how good they are my GF (who hates Civ) said,
"Oh, that looks good"
And she's a graphic designer.

(Free publicity for you!)

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 26, 2003, 13:40   #8
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 15:53
Editors can be such a pain in the ass.. I just let the pro doing their job and enjoy my life
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old January 27, 2003, 07:52   #9
The Mad Monk
Emperor

There's a number of things the editor won't do for you, or even tell you that you need to do, if you want to add things. A visit to the creation forum is recommended -- they certainly helped me.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.