Old January 22, 2003, 02:08   #1
Mike the Nuke
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Using created Maps in PTW
We created a map with the CivIII PTW map editor. We saved it (it shows on my computer directory), but we can't use it for any of our 'hot seat' games. We would like to use the map one of the games. I realize that we would have to start a 'new' game (that's the idea), but it will not allow us to select the map. We are only given the usual map design choices, where the game randomly builds the map (as per your choices of size, temperate zone, etc) and places the civilizations.

We wanted to build a map and place our civilizations and the AI. The editor allows you to do this, we just can't use the map.

What needs to be done to use the map. We don't really want a scenario, nor do I care to design one (it's just my wife, my son and I) battling each other and the AI. In Call To Power (not CTPII, which never allowed 'hot seat' play, thus we never bought it) you could create your own map, set each civilization's starting advancement level, gold level, public works level and number of settlers and then use the map. We could add as many or as few natural resources, goody/barbarian huts, as we desired. So far in CivIII, we seem to always start with nothing (settler,worker and maybe a scout). It would be nice to start with more advancement or modern stuff (I guess that is determined by thegame start date - that' s about all I haven't messed with)

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, would like to know if there are any 'cheat codes' for the game. We messed around with the game some and have found that the AI seems to build huge armies extremely fast and often more advanced than any of us. I have even tried the method of defense by a good offense strategy. When the AI attacks me 'head-on' with large armies (and I mean almost a never ending supply of troops), I try to attack his towns (thinking that their was no way he could send that many war pieces that early in the game (we're still in Medival times) at one time to attck me and still be able to defend his cities. Much to my surprise, his cities were fortified with more troops than mine! I last about 20 turns before I decided to forget it. My wife and son just took the game out and went to something else. While we are learning the intricacies of this game, it would be nice if we could just eliminate some of the AI's pieces (as in Civ2) to at least slow it down some. My wife was attacked by the AI with 25 war pieces (one after another) until it started taking her cities. She had almost twice as many cities as the AI did! In fact the AI had more pieces attacking her than her and I had total pieces in the game! I've yet to figure out how the AI can build so many military pieces so fast and still keeps getting rapid science advancements. I have to dedicate product to build Libaries, wonders, etc to get those advancements. I tried the build a settler when the city reach size of 3 to quickly build an empire. I built so fast, I ran out of land. Then I had nowhere to go except to allow the cities to grow, which then required more time and shields to keep happy.

Well, there's the two questions we have for now. Any answers/help would be greatly appreciated. I know that the super serious CivGamers probably hate cheat codes, but I find them useful at earlier stages of the learning stages so that you can better get a feel for the game, rather than getting the 'crap kicked out of you' continuously until you find the little tricks of the trade.
Old January 22, 2003, 03:32   #2
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:54
You have to load it as a scenario, don't worry as nothing else changes...
Old January 22, 2003, 03:44   #3
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

And, there are _NO_ cheat codes, I'm afraid to say. But there are some strategies that are so good its like cheating.

Stick with it, and read around on this forum. You'll learn to beat this game on the hardest level, but it takes some time !

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 22, 2003, 04:10   #4
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:54
there is a debug mode, which sort of let's you cheat...
Old January 22, 2003, 12:31   #5
Argos65987
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 09:54
Re: Using created Maps in PTW
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike the Nuke
We created a map with the CivIII PTW map editor. We saved it (it shows on my computer directory), but we can't use it for any of our 'hot seat' games. We would like to use the map one of the games. I realize that we would have to start a 'new' game (that's the idea), but it will not allow us to select the map. We are only given the usual map design choices, where the game randomly builds the map (as per your choices of size, temperate zone, etc) and places the civilizations.

We wanted to build a map and place our civilizations and the AI. The editor allows you to do this, we just can't use the map.

What needs to be done to use the map. We don't really want a scenario, nor do I care to design one (it's just my wife, my son and I) battling each other and the AI.
The map you created and saved is now a scenario. To access it , use load scenario when you go to play a new game.

Quote:
In Call To Power (not CTPII, which never allowed 'hot seat' play, thus we never bought it) you could create your own map, set each civilization's starting advancement level, gold level, public works level and number of settlers and then use the map. We could add as many or as few natural resources, goody/barbarian huts, as we desired. So far in CivIII, we seem to always start with nothing (settler,worker and maybe a scout). It would be nice to start with more advancement or modern stuff (I guess that is determined by thegame start date - that' s about all I haven't messed with)
This describes exactly what is considered a scenario in Civ3/PTW. You don't have to change any rules if you don't want to.

By the way, what level are you playing on? The AI tends to be more agressive against civs it considers weaker. It is also opportunistic, if one AI thinks you are weak and attacks, the others may join in to grab a piece of your empire. Also, don't forget that denying enemy civs resources (grabbing them yourself or pillaging his roads to his) is a great way to steal some thunder out of their attacks. Use terrain defensive bonuses to your advantage, & do the opposite to the AI - ie. don't attack fortified pikemen on a mountain square in a fort

Good luck and have fun
Old January 23, 2003, 03:26   #6
Mike the Nuke
Chieftain

Thanks for the help. We will try loading the map we created as a scenario. Cheat codes would have been nice, if for nothing else, but to take out frustrations. Curious about the 'debug mode'. What is that and how is it accessed.

One thing I always think about but usually forget to do, is to save the game before I respond to the AI's demand. That way, if the AI does something I may not really be ready for (IE go to war against me), I can always go back to that 'save' and respond different. It does seem that the AI gives you little choice. They don't leave your territory when you ask/tell them to (even if they agree), yet you have to leave theirs (often, if they don't go to war with you, your violating pieces are moved for you.

Curious...has this game corrected previous problem where old (obsolete) units can defeat modern units (IE Spearman take out a jet, etc). In 'real life', one of our modern aircraft coould take out an entire army of midieval (my spelling of this really 'sucks') troops. I haven't gotten to this stage in the game yet, where we get 'modern war units', so I was just curious.

thanks
Old January 23, 2003, 05:07   #7
MoonWolf
Prince

Local Time: 15:54
Quote:

Curious...has this game corrected previous problem where old (obsolete) units can defeat modern units (IE Spearman take out a jet, etc). In 'real life', one of our modern aircraft coould take out an entire army of midieval (my spelling of this really 'sucks') troops. I haven't gotten to this stage in the game yet, where we get 'modern war units', so I was just curious.
Yes and no. Planes and other bombardment units won't be instantly counterattacked as "normal" units do when the are engaged in combat. The only way to damage/kill a plane is to have a fighter (not stealth fighter though) with the "Air Superiority" action activated. It has then a chance to counterattack the incoming plane. The only other way to destroy bombardment units is to attack them during your turn. Newer ships have both normal attack ability and bombard ability so if you attack "normal" with them against other ships, they might loose and be destroyed. Other modern units, like tanks, may actually suffer from the spears of the spearman. Agree with you, it's a kind of a problem. I'm working on modding the game to make this more realistic. In my current mod, I've added extra hitpoints to newer units.

But be aware that if you want your planes (or other bombardment units) to take out other units, you must select the "Lethal Land/Sea Bombardment" parameter in the editor. Otherwise the units that are being attacked will always have 1 HP left no matter how hard you bombard them (nukes can destroy them though...). Also, it doesn't have to be free space like in Civ1/2 between your plane/bombardment unit when bombarding an enemy.

Hope this helps...
Old January 31, 2003, 19:08   #8
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 08:54
Quote:
One thing I always think about but usually forget to do, is to save the game before I respond to the AI's demand. That way, if the AI does something I may not really be ready for (IE go to war against me), I can always go back to that 'save' and respond different.
Mike,

Even if you do not save the game before telling the AI to 'Stuff It!", you can still go back and reload the game from the AutoSave folder. Go to "Load Game", then when it asks which game to load dbl-clk the "Auto" folder. You should then see something like, "Civ III PTW Autosave 1150 AD.SAV" (Where '1150 AD' or whatever is the date from which you want to restore the game.) There will be a file for the last several turns from your game.

Quote:
Jets, if in a town taken by any unit, including vastly obsolete ones like Spearmen, will be destroyed.

And yes, it is still possible--albeit VERY unlikely--for a Spearman to defeat a Tank. There used to be a pretty funny post in the Stories Forum about a heroic Spearman defeating a Tank. You just have to use your imagination to figure out how he did it.