View Poll Results: Postwar Iraqi government?
Military occupation government 3 15.79%
Puppet government 8 42.11%
Democracy 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 22, 2003, 16:04   #1
Sandman
King

Local Time: 15:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Postwar Iraqi government?
So, it's all over.

The Iraqi army has been wiped out, the country is totally under American control and Saddam is dead, captured or 'missing'. It only took a few weeks, and American casualties have been pretty light.

What sort of government should be installed?

Military occupation government: The leader of the country is an American general, with democracy decades away. Likely to stoke anti-American feeling throughout the Muslim world, and severely irritate the Arab states, who will object to the presence of an 'American Caesar'. Still, this maximises American control over the country, and maybe the Islamic world will learn that America is a benevolent master...

Puppet government: The leader is an American puppet drawn from the Iraqi exiles, a bit like Afghanistan. He's touted as a democatic leader, but actual elections are 'years away'. More diplomatic than the occupation government, with almost as much control, but if the leader is assassinated, or veers off message, then there's bound to be trouble. There's also the problem of the ethnic groups accepting a leader who's not one of them.

Democracy: A full-blown democracy right from the start. This will improve America's standing in the wider world (and probably among the populations of the Muslim countries), but will infuriate the leaders of the undemocratic nations surrounding Iraq. There's a serious danger of Islamic extremists getting power, not to mention the assorted ethnicities trying to secede.

These are the three main options. There are others, such as annexation or anarchy, but I think that they're realistic.
Old January 22, 2003, 16:15   #2
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 07:56
Re: Postwar Iraqi government?
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman

Military occupation government: The leader of the country is an American general, with democracy decades away. Likely to stoke anti-American feeling throughout the Muslim world, and severely irritate the Arab states, who will object to the presence of an 'American Caesar'. Still, this maximises American control over the country, and maybe the Islamic world will learn that America is a benevolent master...
This one should be similar to that one we had in Japan from 1945 to 1950. Even though we firebombed and nuked their cities prior to that, General MacArthur was more loved by the Japanese than their Emperor by the time he left for Korea.
Old January 22, 2003, 16:26   #3
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:56
Puppet government, most likely.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old January 22, 2003, 16:30   #4
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Eh, I meant that that's going to be the most likely option. (Stupid Stefu, learn to read the thread!)

As for what should be installed, I don't know. "American Shogun" worked well enough for Japan, but Iraq might be a different case.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old January 22, 2003, 16:32   #5
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 14:56
None of the Above. I think the land will be auctioned off to the highest bidder and become holdings of several large corperations, and the land no one wants will be given to the Kurds.
Old January 22, 2003, 17:08   #6
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 09:56
we give the land back to the sandpeople of the tigris and order is restored to the universe.
Old January 22, 2003, 17:18   #7
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Actually, the US has admitted to planning on having the general control the country "Until demcoracy can be set up".

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight........
Old January 22, 2003, 17:20   #8
Sonic
Warlord

Iraq in my opinion after war should be given to Saudi Arabia as a generous present for His Royal Highiness Crown Prince Abdullah, probably at a time when it will be his birthday. I think Saudi rule would be much times better than one it would be if Iraq would be democratic, as the democracy would most likely collapse in 5-10 years. Puppet government would just spread diseases everywhere and soon enough it would be not so puppet (new war in Iraq in 2010-2020 if such option undertaken). BTW, in my opinion USA should change it's name into The Vassal States of Israel, while title of US president should be changed to "Israeli governor for North America"...

Err... What am I talking here? I meant, I would have voted banana but there is simply no such option :-) .
Old January 22, 2003, 17:21   #9
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 10:56
Tass,

I'm skeptical about my government's "after war" plans too (I don't think they have any, really), but seeing as they had generals controlling Japan and W. Germany after WWII "until democracy could be set up" and those countries are now free & democratic... can't you acknowledge the possibility of the same scenario being repeated?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 22, 2003, 17:24   #10
Japher
Emperor

I will go with banana!! I change my vote: Banana.
Old January 22, 2003, 17:27   #11
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 08:56
Both Germany and Japan were essentially industrial powers with deversified economies, thriving large companies, large and well trained burocracies that could be used by the invaders to run the local offices, and neither had significant ethnic and religious internal devides.

I fail to see how the situation in a state that lacks all of these (to one degree or another) would all of a sudden play out so similarly.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old January 22, 2003, 17:31   #12
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:56
Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
You assume there's going to be a viable postwar government capable of ruling from the centre in a strong yet just manner. How cute.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old January 22, 2003, 17:33   #13
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 10:56
GePap,

And I would agree with you, actually, but I what I said to Tass was:

Quote:
...can't you acknowledge the possibility...
The implication of his post is that the idea of US military rule leading to democracy is ludicrous - laughable, even. I simply pointed out it's happened before, so it is at least arguable that it could happen again.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 22, 2003, 17:37   #14
DuncanK
Warlord

Local Time: 06:56
I think that the country should be divided up and segregated. Oh how very conservative I am. This is a mess.
Old January 22, 2003, 18:27   #15
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:56
A democratic government (with Constitutional protection of liberties, etc.) would certainly be preferable, but it simply won't happen because Iran and Turkey. Anyone who believes there'll be more freedom in Iraq after a US invasion than currently is out of touch with reality.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old January 22, 2003, 18:28   #16
Andrew1999
Warlord

Local Time: 08:56
Give it to Jordan!

For some reason a popular stock answer to "what to do with country X' seems to be give it to the Hashemites. I've read (in separate columns) proposals to attach the West Bank, Gaza, Iraq, and Saudi Arabia to Jordan. I'm sure once we are finished with Syria and Iran they will need new governments too. Just imagine, the Sultanate of Amman will be the most powerful country in the world!
Old January 22, 2003, 19:02   #17
raghar
Chieftain

Is too much to like their own non forced government after war? I mean non Sadam, but not necesary democratic. Then again it would be more fun with ocupation government. More wars you know.

Imagine Iraq Iran aliance for free Kurds. They would like to have country I'm sure about it. ( And that oil fields on north would be nice bonus)

Last edited by raghar; January 22, 2003 at 19:14.