View Poll Results: Should Frankfurt be abandoned or not?
Yea 16 61.54%
Nay 10 38.46%
Abstain 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 22, 2003, 16:32   #1
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 16:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Opinion poll: Should Frankfurt be abandoned or not?
Should Frankfurt be abandoned or not.

This is what Shiber and Roadcage think:

Quote:
Originally posted by roadcage
I know this will get flamed, but we need to abandon Frankfurt and use one of our inventoried settlers to replace it. Turning 8 resisters requires too much of our meager forces to be worth the candle. The question that arises, is should it be replaced at the same tile, or moved slightly closer to Leipzig. By moving closer to Liepzig, we will be able to fire our Artillery at Leipzig one turn sooner. And I expect a similarly high resistor count out of Leipzig so that New Frankfurt being closer is not a problem. We will most likely be moving Leipzig as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber

I've changed my mind about Frankfurt over the last day. I now agree with Roadcage on the matter of burning this wretched thing.
Please give your opinion on this issue.

This poll lasts forever

Aidun
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG

Last edited by Aidun; January 22, 2003 at 16:37.
Old January 22, 2003, 16:44   #2
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 11:56
I agree with both, roadcage and Shiber.
Voted Yea
Old January 22, 2003, 16:55   #3
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 08:56
As I understand the newcon, since Frankfurt has resistors, it is under the watchful eye of our SMC. And based on what happened with Hamburg, if he wants to abandon it, he can, full stop.

The real question becomes where do we want to place the city founding settler if this happens. And this is within the control of our DM. We would hope that the DM would consult with the rest of the cabinet and expecially the SMC, but it's his call.

I originally wrote what I wrote in hopes of raising the interest level of our SMC and DM. I never expected a poll. But we have one now, so I voted Yea.

Ssgt roadcage (retired)
Old January 22, 2003, 17:14   #4
CiverDan
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Lux InvictaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Roleplay
Prince

Local Time: 09:56
I say abandon. Trying to squelch that many resisters will take away from our continued offensive.
Old January 22, 2003, 17:14   #5
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Actually, I'm in agreement with Roadcage that Frankfurt should be abandoded due to it's numerous resistors.
Old January 22, 2003, 17:26   #6
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 06:56
This is a good idea as far as I'm concerned. Frankfurt should be abandoned, it causes too many issues logistically, and a newer, better site for a city can be founded in the surrounding area, with loyal Apolyton nationals settling the city.

Frankfurt will be abandoned this next turnchat. Berlin, however, will stay. I, like our President, do not wish to see the Observatory demolished.....

SMC Meshelic
Old January 22, 2003, 18:44   #7
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

yeah , but we should get some settlers or workers out of it !

have a nice day

and this poll can not last forever , ....
Old January 22, 2003, 19:26   #8
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

We would only get workers out of it, and the remaining units inside the city would no longer be...well, in the city.

However, the benefits to abandoning Frankfurt far outweigh IMHO any argument against it. We will not have to waste military resources on squashing the resistance there, nor will we risk a culture flip (although that really isn't something that worries me), and to top it off, we can use the tiles available more efficiently when we plant one of our own cities in the general area...

SMC Meshelic
Old January 22, 2003, 19:31   #9
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

What a shame! I forgot to vote first in my own poll !

I voted Yea. Not because I like to abandon cities. I hate it, but I fear that if we wouldn't, the Greeks and the Astecs would probably conquer one or two cities that I would rather see to fall into OUR hands. We can use our forces for better purposes that to keep the order in Frankfurt.
[rp]Those unthankful people should know better: WE are not their oppressors, we have come to free them from the German oppressor![/rp]

Aidun
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG
Old January 23, 2003, 14:15   #10
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I disagree with moving or abandoning it. Doing so gives up all that is in it. Flip is a small danger at best due to our culture advantage over germany. If it did flip, so what, we just retake it. Often in these situations I use a place like frankfurt for a unit recovery town, so units recover and lower resistance. I f we don't have enough of these we simply wait till the war is over to put down the resistance. Last I looked though we had plenty of wounded units.
Aggie
Old January 23, 2003, 15:15   #11
Meshelic
King

I would not disband Frankfurt until all those units are healed.

I agree with you Aggie, to a point....but at the moment, war weariness is taking us over like a dark cloud. Disbanding Frankfurt (in a turn or so) after those units are healed, will allow us to move quickly and assault the last German cities, instead of having to hold back some troops to quell the resisters...

I don't wish to see those cities in Greek hands, or Aztec, or English. We've done the most fighting, it's only right that we take the remaining cities.

Waiting till the units inside Frankfurt heal?
Disbanding Frankfurt after that?
Continuing and capturing our objectives before we're overtaken by war weariness?
Old January 23, 2003, 15:48   #12
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Meshelic, it's your call, but if we don't abandon Frankfurt this turn the city will go into disorder if you send more than a couple of troops over there.

Also, since we built Sun Tzus, any new city we build has a baracks.

I sugest that in this turn in this order:

1. Railroad connect to the poluted tile (don't rail the actual tile though, forming the town will clear polution and rail there.) (At the same time rail connect Berlin to the rest of the empire.)

2. Form New Frankfort

3. Abandon Old Frankfort

4. Place the wouded units you whould have placed in Old Frankfort in New Frankfort instead.
Old January 23, 2003, 16:18   #13
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 11:56
Excellent suggestion, joncnunn.