Old January 31, 2003, 09:47   #31
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 09:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quite a few players use dial ups. As long as the host doesn't, you'll get a little bit more lag, but it isn't unplayable most of the time.
Old January 31, 2003, 10:02   #32
atomant
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 00:57
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Mr usual start up strategy is
1) warrior (exploration)
2) warrior (exploration
3) Settler
4) Settler
5) wonder....(Usually great lib.)

I usually try and get a huge city base going as early as possible. Temples are usually built only once I have the required number of cities, till then I keep them at size three and use martial law for key cities that I want yo grow.

My early tech tree is towards monothesim, once i get that on with the crusaders and on with the conquest. The GL usually gives me the other techs as discovered by the AI
Old January 31, 2003, 13:08   #33
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

So, my takeaway from this is that Temples are indeed the preferred first build (as opposed to Marketplaces).

No one, SP or MP, seems to be suggesting otherwise.
Is there documentation on their relative effects?

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old January 31, 2003, 16:54   #34
Bloody Monk
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit
So, my takeaway from this is that Temples are indeed the preferred first build (as opposed to Marketplaces).

-Jrabbit,

For me it really depends on the Time. In the beginning, temples are necessary, markets are only nice. But later, after having built HG, Mike's Chapel, and running Lux to get WLT_D celebrations, temples can wait in new cities. Build MP, especially where there are trade specials and rivers. You get more gold and the city will be ready to celebrate at size three. Temples are no longer 'necessary' until size 5 to 9, depending on the Lux setting.

It also depends on your Intention. My strat is predicated on growing all cities and building up a sprawling trade-fat 'Civilization,' with many, many cities with enough size to contribute shields for vans and, later, SS parts...as a democracy. If the gov't is Fundy, everything changes. Then temples are a cash cow and they go to the head of the build list. If playing an early landing game, again it's temples, and markets are not even on the list, beyond the SSC.

So, I say it depends on the game and your strat. Automatically building temples first is not alway best.

Monk

Last edited by Bloody Monk; January 31, 2003 at 17:00.
Old January 31, 2003, 18:54   #35
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Quote:

Well, in the early, early game, if you're going to build a non-wonder improvement it'll probably be a Temple.

BUT - once you have HG the first citizen is happy (barring the double unhappy HG bug, which I've never seen but I understand exists), so you don't need temples if the city doesn't get past size 2. Once you have Mikes, you don't need temples until size 5 or 6 or 7 (can't remember how many people Mikes makes content).

This presumes a luxury rate of 0. If luxuries are higher, and there are enough trade arrows in a city, a marketplace can make more people happy than a temple makes content (plus the additional cash the market generates). So, in games where I'm founding new cities and have HG/Mikes, AND/OR a decent luxury rate AND/OR am in Republic/Demo, I'll usually build a marketplace first out of the improvement list. Sometimes an aqueduct, even - I've had games where a city hits size 3 and celebrates up to size 8 without any happy improvements.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old February 1, 2003, 07:25   #36
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 15:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse Gits
Wow! 30 seconds!!!!

I don't think I could get anywhere near that!

I too am amazed at that kind of speed.

SG[1]
One point that a SP expert might not appreciate is that it is only moving that need be done on your turn in a 3-way. All the other things you want (rush-buying, checking top 5 cities, looking at techs, expansion plans etc) to do can be done on the others' turns. If you know where you settlers and explorers are going it doesn't take long to move them.
Old February 1, 2003, 18:08   #37
rah
lifer
Just another peon

I will admit that in the first 15 turns of the game, when you can have as little as 10 seconds before it's your turn again, that if I'm buying up my first settler, I'll do it during my turn, to avoid building somthing that I didn't want. I've been burned enough on that so I don't risk it anymore. But that is rare exception. And I still get burned later in the game at least once a game if I'm not fast enough and doing multiple buy ups.
Old February 1, 2003, 20:24   #38
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
I will admit that in the first 15 turns of the game, when you can have as little as 10 seconds before it's your turn again, that if I'm buying up my first settler, I'll do it during my turn, to avoid building somthing that I didn't want. I've been burned enough on that so I don't risk it anymore.
Lol, we've all been there. I have played a lot of duels.......the turn goes on a minute, so you get impatient and rush the warrior/phalanx/diplo.......you get ready to change it........your finger is over the button.......BAM......it's your turn and your screwed.
Old February 1, 2003, 21:09   #39
rah
lifer
Just another peon

That and moving city workers. You click one off and your turn starts before you place him back in production.
Old February 3, 2003, 02:37   #40
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:57
yeah the last one pisses me off........

Marquis...i too play chess.....alas my chess isn't as good as my civ....
Old February 3, 2003, 03:43   #41
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 14:57
Marquis? - have I missed a name change?

SG[1]
Old February 3, 2003, 05:26   #42
DrSpike
Deity

Yeah that confused me too.........nice to see it's not just me on a Monday morning, but that SG is confused as well.
Old February 3, 2003, 07:18   #43
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 14:57
Ah MdS has popped up on another thread - mayhap warz confused the threads

SG[1]
Old February 3, 2003, 09:16   #44
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 10:57
Quote:

As BM and STYOM already said, it depends on the stage of the game, and your strategy. Hoewever, I would base my decision not on wonders and discoveries, but on number of cities, amount of corruption, and long-term goals. If you build enough cities to have your first citizen be very unhappy and the city can generate at least two luxuries, a marketplace will change that very unhappy into a happy. A temple will only make him content. If the city has most of its arrows eaten by corruption, or you're trying to run with a zero luxury rate, the temple would probably be preferred. In ICS Fundy/Commie mode, a defensive unit would be preferred to either structure.
Old February 3, 2003, 10:06   #45
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Yes, if I'm running in monarchy, I REFUSE to play with anything other than 0 Lux, so temples are the prefered choice. So by the time I'm thinking of celebrating in REP, the temples are already built and i'm thinking markets.
Old February 3, 2003, 21:32   #46
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:57
yeah i meant ramses II , its been a rough monday