Old January 23, 2003, 11:19   #1
Deornwulf
Warlord

Local Time: 14:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Is Civ III fixed yet?
I stopped playing Civ III about 8 months ago, disgusted by the incredible amount of problems and bugs. My question is, should I come back to the game? I start this thread with an open mind and would genuinely want to be convinced to start playing again. I would especially love to here from some of the oldtimers that might remember me and my thoughts about the game.
Old January 23, 2003, 11:57   #2
zulu9812
King

troll
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old January 23, 2003, 12:01   #3
wilbill
Warlord

Local Time: 10:58
Re: Is Civ III fixed yet?
Is Civ III fixed yet?

Yes it is.
Old January 23, 2003, 12:03   #4
Stuie
King

Well, if you mean are most of the single player bugs gone and the AI improved, then I would say yes, in patch 1.29f. The single player experience (and the AI) is even better with PTW 1.14f.

However, if you're basing "fixed" on your wishlist from this thread and others like it:

http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...threadid=49662

then I would say an emphatic "NO". I'd also say these things are not "broken", they are just things the designers decided not to do with Civ3.
Old January 23, 2003, 18:42   #5
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:58
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Depends what you think is broken.

I used to be disappointed in Civ3, but since reading all the strat and story threads I have learned the game's limitations, and am having masses of fun exploiting those boundaries. Many others are too, eg the AU group, and now that scenarios seem to be basically as good as they are going to get (much better than ealier in Civ3), things are looking up. I do think it is time to re-examine Civ3 and PtW and see how much it has improved over the first release.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old January 23, 2003, 21:03   #6
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Local Time: 09:58
Quote:
Originally posted by zulu9812
troll
Yep.
Old January 23, 2003, 22:22   #7
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:58
I agree with Stuie. It doesn't seem that it will ever be a game that you will like.
Old January 23, 2003, 22:25   #8
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 07:58
probably not fixed to what you want it to be
Old January 24, 2003, 15:53   #9
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 15:58
Get PTW
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old January 24, 2003, 17:45   #10
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 16:58
Quote:
Originally posted by Datajack Franit
Get PTW
PTW isnt released in my country yet. Still one week to go. The responsible should eat sh*t and die. On the other hand, from what I've heard and read, the company that is is holding PTW back doesn't deserve to recieve my money anyway. A product has to be finished before it is sold... and it isnt!
Old January 25, 2003, 00:21   #11
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 09:58
Quote:
Originally posted by zulu9812
troll
That's the simplistic magic word you use to make anyone critical of Civ 3 disappear. Try again.

Answer to the question: Civ 3 has finally been "fixed", after a year. But many of us are still dissatisfied. PTW still needs work.
Old January 25, 2003, 02:17   #12
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I've been WAITING for you!!

I'm actually sorta p-ssed off you haven't been helping out with the AU Mod, 'cause I know you'd have good contributions.

In SP PTW, what needs further "crying out for help" work?

I think it's pretty damn good, except for the Bowman / Helicopter issue.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old January 27, 2003, 11:09   #13
Deornwulf
Warlord

A troll.....I don't ever play trolls, Maybe a Dark Elf someday but not trolls. I was simply trying to get some honest feedback from the old crowd. I did not ask to be insulted. I could always just hang up my hat and stick with playing EQ but I think it would bother the namecallers more if I stuck around. I'll be loading up PTW and patching it this weekend and will report back to the boards what I think.
Old January 27, 2003, 11:43   #14
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Deornwulf
I could always just hang up my hat and stick with playing EQ but I think it would bother the namecallers more if I stuck around.
Let us know what you think. I for one was just pointing out that the game is sufficiently patched to be playable, but still may not meet your expectations of what you were hoping for with Civ3. Seriously though, check the strategy forum and look at the work they are doing for AU. Some great modding ideas there that vastly improve the game, IMO.
Old January 27, 2003, 18:25   #15
player1
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Deornwulf
A troll.....I don't ever play trolls, Maybe a Dark Elf someday but not trolls.
What about Ogre?
Old January 27, 2003, 19:42   #16
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 07:58
It's as fixed as it will ever be.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old January 31, 2003, 08:41   #17
zulu9812
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
That's the simplistic magic word you use to make anyone critical of Civ 3 disappear. Try again.

Answer to the question: Civ 3 has finally been "fixed", after a year. But many of us are still dissatisfied. PTW still needs work.
You misunderstand me. I too am dissatisfied with Civ3. I've wanted to add eras since before I even bought the game in December 2001 and it's still not in. Same goes for forced diplomacy and triggers.
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old January 31, 2003, 08:49   #18
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Well, at least they're saving something for Civ4, and there WILL ne a Civ4, believe me.

Is it fixed? Yes
Is it perfect? No
Have I ever played a perfect game? Not yet.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old February 1, 2003, 16:55   #19
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 11:58
Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle

Answer to the question: Civ 3 has finally been "fixed", after a year.
The Apocalypse is coming. Coracle said something positive about Civ3.

Answer to the question: PTW is the way to go if you're looking for a good single player experience. Yes, the game is "fixed".
Old February 1, 2003, 18:22   #20
Vercingettyrex
Settler

I cut my teeth on CIV1, CIV2 and AC. I bought CIV 3 as soon as it was released. My initial reaction was that it was good, but not as good as it's predecessors.

Over the last 1 year I've been playing a lot of RTS and haven't played any CIV. Then last weekend I kicked off a quick game of CIV2. I re-discovered it's addictive quality. After a couple of "millenia" I thought why not give CIV3 a chance.

I downloaded the most recent patch and started to play. It was then I discovered that CIV3 had the same quality as the previous CIVs. ie It's the most addictive substance in the known world.

My feelings now, are that I intially came to CIV3 after playing far too much CIV2 and I needed a break. When I first played it I was set in my views. Now, with each hour that I play the game I am coming around to the view that it in fact is the best so far in the series.
Old February 3, 2003, 08:46   #21
Th0mas
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Vercingettyrex
I cut my teeth on CIV1, CIV2 and AC. I bought CIV 3 as soon as it was released. My initial reaction was that it was good, but not as good as it's predecessors.
*snip*
My feelings now, are that I intially came to CIV3 after playing far too much CIV2 and I needed a break. When I first played it I was set in my views. Now, with each hour that I play the game I am coming around to the view that it in fact is the best so far in the series.
I would like to echo Vercingettyrex comments as his experience fits mine.
I never stopped playing CIV 3, though, I just played it very Slowwwwwwly. At one stage I wasn't finishing a game before the next patch came out.
Also I am a CIV 1, 2 and SMAC veteran and as such brought a lot of old-civ baggage with me. It took sometime to go and I am now having a great time with CIV3.

6 years lurking, 5 minutes posting
Old February 4, 2003, 08:49   #22
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Olaf Hårfagre

PTW isnt released in my country yet. Still one week to go. The responsible should eat sh*t and die. On the other hand, from what I've heard and read, the company that is is holding PTW back doesn't deserve to recieve my money anyway. A product has to be finished before it is sold... and it isnt!
hi ,

go to the civ III page on this site , order it for 26.98 , shipping is free and you have the US version , meaning you will get the patch before other countries and you should not have any software problems , ....

have a nice day